Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2024, 09:45 AM   #1001
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
You think they are going to put all their eggs in the Jake Allen basket? The GM is a fool but he must like his job a bit more than that.
No, but definitely will be used by their anti-goalie analytics crew to not spend on a goalie.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 09:54 AM   #1002
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Guys, he's talking about Tanev. Don't worry
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 09:55 AM   #1003
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aren't the best UFAs the players that the Flames sold that don't wanna be here?
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 09:55 AM   #1004
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
The Flames are better off taking a pick for a bad contract than sign lower value players in the off season.

I know everyone was hard in the paint for team tank this season, but next season is when the losing really starts.
Looking at the ages of key players locked up into long term contracts the losing is an inevitability. The issue is that the organization is almost defiant in the face of what's coming. Conny could outbid the rest of the league for Reinhart and lock him up until he's 35 and I'm sure he could make enough of a difference to help win a few games so they would finish 9-11 in the conference but all that's doing is delaying the inevitable and digging a deeper hole for the team to climb out of in the back half of the decade. The reality is that most of the top UFA's will not consider the Flames given their roster and situation save for massive overpayment and they will hopefully be dealing mostly with the 2nd and 3rd tier guys that shouldn't break the bank or command term. If Conroy decides to go big game hunting, it's not going to end well for the Flames as the team still will likely miss the playoffs while adding more aging players on long term contracts which is doubling down on what's already a losing formula as this season has demonstrated.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 09:59 AM   #1005
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Serivalli also didn't really make sense when he said the goalie market is going to cool down because Ulmark will be available in the offseason, as Ulmark kyboshed a deal to Philly at the deadline. So then, what's going to change? That means Markstrom and Ulmark were available for the right price at the deadline, and they're still available in the off season.

I actually think Connie will get more in the off season for Markstrom than he was getting offered at the deadline. It didn't look like teams were scrambling that hard to find goalies at the time, TBH. I think teams will be more open to giving up more for Markstrom knowing they'll have him before the start of the season so he can adapt before starting.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:03 AM   #1006
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Serivalli also didn't really make sense when he said the goalie market is going to cool down because Ulmark will be available in the offseason, as Ulmark kyboshed a deal to Philly at the deadline. So then, what's going to change? That means Markstrom and Ulmark were available for the right price at the deadline, and they're still available in the off season.

I actually think Connie will get more in the off season for Markstrom than he was getting offered at the deadline. It didn't look like teams were scrambling that hard to find goalies at the time, TBH. I think teams will be more open to giving up more for Markstrom knowing they'll have him before the start of the season so he can adapt before starting.
Disagree, the goalie market shifts to Saros (if available) and Ullmark. They’ll dictate the goalie market. They both were not traded because both are in a playoff spot, with Nashville relying heavily on Saros and Boston keeping Ullmark because a) he didn’t waive and b) they are fine rolling with their tandem into the playoffs.

If you’re a GM, I think you go after those two before Markstrom. Cost/benefit analysis though could show Markstrom would have the higher demand because he wouldn’t cost nearly as much as the other two, especially Saros.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 10:09 AM   #1007
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Looking at the ages of key players locked up into long term contracts the losing is an inevitability. The issue is that the organization is almost defiant in the face of what's coming. Conny could outbid the rest of the league for Reinhart and lock him up until he's 35 and I'm sure he could make enough of a difference to help win a few games so they would finish 9-11 in the conference but all that's doing is delaying the inevitable and digging a deeper hole for the team to climb out of in the back half of the decade. The reality is that most of the top UFA's will not consider the Flames given their roster and situation save for massive overpayment and they will hopefully be dealing mostly with the 2nd and 3rd tier guys that shouldn't break the bank or command term. If Conroy decides to go big game hunting, it's not going to end well for the Flames as the team still will likely miss the playoffs while adding more aging players on long term contracts which is doubling down on what's already a losing formula as this season has demonstrated.
You're right I fear the flames over paying wont be a good idea, given they already have Huberdeau on the books for 7 more years at 10.5 million. That said there are three types of UFAs the Flames can sign

1. Players who don't care about winning as much as they care about money
These are the players the Flames should avoid
2. players who feel under utilized and want to have a shot at a top 6 role
Maybe someone will look at Shangrovich and hope they can do the same. Though this type of player is rare.
3. Journeymen who have bumped around the league as role players, looking for a little more money and a 60 games. ( the Flames kind of already have this is Greer, Hunt and Rooney).
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:10 AM   #1008
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Disagree, the goalie market shifts to Saros (if available) and Ullmark. They’ll dictate the goalie market. They both were not traded because both are in a playoff spot, with Nashville relying heavily on Saros and Boston keeping Ullmark because a) he didn’t waive and b) they are fine rolling with their tandem into the playoffs.

If you’re a GM, I think you go after those two before Markstrom. Cost/benefit analysis though could show Markstrom would have the higher demand because he wouldn’t cost nearly as much as the other two, especially Saros.
Considering the fact that Nashville is firmly in a playoff spot, why would Nashville even trade Saros?

And if you take Seravilli at his word, sounds like Boston did trade Ulmark despite being a playoff team, it was Ulmark that refused to go.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:12 AM   #1009
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

A UFA I wouldn't mind the Flames target is a guy like Alex Barré-Boulet
Old 03-22-2024, 10:13 AM   #1010
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Considering the fact that Nashville is firmly in a playoff spot, why would Nashville even trade Saros?
Because they are in a similar situation to the Flames in that Askarov is the goaltender of the future and could bring back Lankinen to play the Vladar role. That organization isn't scared to cut lose players as they showed last trade deadline.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:17 AM   #1011
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

How would you feel about giving Gio one more contract. Let him retire a Flame?
Old 03-22-2024, 10:23 AM   #1012
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I doubt they’ll take a swing at the biggest UFAs. But they’ll probably be in the mix for guys like Myers, Demelo, Carrier, Henrique, and Wennberg.
I'm pretty sure Myers actually is the biggest UFA... but only literally.

Really thou... no UFA forwards. If anything we need to move forwards out not bring more in (want more NHL ice-time for Pelletier and Coronato).

I could be convinced to pick up another defender thou... depending on how any pre-draft transactions go.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:24 AM   #1013
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames spending on middling UFA's would be the most Flames thing to do and so we should DEFINITELY not spend on guys like Stephenson who will get overpaid.

Let the kids play, and if you want to get some "players" trade for some young established guys like Byram etc.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:26 AM   #1014
Solstice
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
How would you feel about giving Gio one more contract. Let him retire a Flame?
I think he will sign a one day contract to retire a Flame for sure. But I don’t see this team giving him a 1 year contract to do so
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:29 AM   #1015
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And if you take Seravilli at his word, sounds like Boston did trade Ulmark despite being a playoff team, it was Ulmark that refused to go.
Well if I’m Ullmark, I probably think Boston is my best shot at a cup at the moment. I can be willing to be traded in the off-season when every team resets and prepares for a new season
Old 03-22-2024, 10:40 AM   #1016
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Saros is a UFA after next season, and Askarov is their goalie of the future. He's been playing well when given a chance.

They can trade Saros for a great return, because he can now sign an extension with the team acquiring him. He's still young enough to warrant a long term deal. He's 6 years younger than Marky, and therefore a better long term answer for many teams.

As usual, Nashville can use help up front.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:41 AM   #1017
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice View Post
I think he will sign a one day contract to retire a Flame for sure. But I don’t see this team giving him a 1 year contract to do so
Yeah, 1 day contract for sure but if he's going to keep playing then I want him to sign a deal somewhere that will let him have a reasonable chance to chase that Cup and that won't be here.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:45 AM   #1018
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Saros is a UFA after next season, and Askarov is their goalie of the future. He's been playing well when given a chance.

They can trade Saros for a great return, because he can now sign an extension with the team acquiring him. He's still young enough to warrant a long term deal. He's 6 years younger than Marky, and therefore a better long term answer for many teams.

As usual, Nashville can use help up front.
Who has more value, Askarov or Saros? Saros is already used to the Nashville system too.

I think you could get more suitors if Nashville could grab a franchise-potential prospect like Askarov in a different position or get good offers for him if available and re-sign Saros instead. Sometimes it’s better to retain the proven commodity.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:49 AM   #1019
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Toronto, Philadelphia, LA, New Jersey, Carolina, Colorado, Detroit, Ottawa, and even Buffalo could be in the goalie market this offseason. Some of those teams might need to improve to keep their window open or open their window in the first place, while others might want a solid veteran to tandem with a younger option.

At the trade deadline, there were limited options and limited suitors. The summer isn’t going to bring more options (certainly nobody of note who wasn’t already available and nobody who is better than the top three of Saros/Ullmark/Markstrom) but it will bring more suitors.

It’s going to be interesting, at very least.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 11:02 AM   #1020
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd target a young piece out of LA.

But given that a trade for Ullmark fell apart last minute, it looks like he's the guy they have their eyes on.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good