Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2024, 12:52 AM   #981
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Crap, I missed the memo where Rasmus Andersson said he was leaving in two years. Did anyone else get it?
When did Hanifin say it? Gaudreau? Tkachuk? Lindholm? Tanev? Markstrom?

It's better to get ahead of those things and get value while a player is still signed to a great deal, that won't factor into your contention window.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 03:00 AM   #982
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Crap, I missed the memo where Rasmus Andersson said he was leaving in two years. Did anyone else get it?
It’s not that I don’t like Andersson as a player. And maybe you’re right… they might want to keep him and he may want to sign here long term. I’m putting him into a trade proposal because he is the most valuable player that the flames could trade. I don’t know if any other player would/could return as much as him right now without significant retention (Kadri for example). And even then, it’s unlikely any other player on the team would return as much as Andersson.

I figure the flames should lean into the rebuild early if it’s possible to get another pick in the top ten of this draft. We have seen from trades over the last year that teams simply do not trade top prospects for veteran players. So the best option might be to trade Andersson now while he is under contract for multiple seasons at a reasonable cap hit… if it means a return that has a good chance to be a top prospect/young player for this team.

Some people argue a pick is “magic beans” but a top ten pick is a very different return than a first round pick from a contending team at the TDL. With a top ten pick, that player is much more likely to increase in value from the day they are drafted until at least when they start playing in the AHL or NHL. A good example could be Iginla or Lindstrom…. Both will likely go in the top ten of this draft and both have a decent chance to make team Canada at the upcoming World Juniors (barring injury). If they have a solid showing at that tournament and also continued their progression in the WHL, they could be top 20/30 prospects in this league. As I have said, those are super valuable and teams are way more likely to trade upcoming picks than top prospects.

For example, two years ago, the cost to acquire Dallas’s 2nd round pick would have been a pittance compared to the cost of acquiring Logan Stankoven two months ago. That’s because he was developed into a top prospect in this league.

You have a better chance of turning top ten picks into top prospects than you do trying to acquire them in a year or two while trading veteran players. If Iginla/Lindstrom keep progressing like they have… in a year, a team would likely never trade one of them for Andersson with one year left on his deal. But this year I’m hoping for things to align for the flames where they can make a big move at the upcoming draft. There are very few quality right hand top pairing defencemen available in trade or free agency this year and there are teams with high picks (like Ottawa) that are desperate for one. And Ottawa’s also desperate to get better right away. If that makes for the rare scenario where they would consider trading a top ten pick, it would be a smart move for this franchise to make that kind of trade IMO.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 06:54 AM   #983
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I wouldn’t want to sign him for 8 years when he is almost 31 years old.

Better for a rebuilding team to trade him for a very good return than sign him long term.
This.

Do you want to give 30 year old Rasmus Anderson an 8 year contract at $8M+ to get him to stay?

I wouldn't, so your best move would be to shop his now with peak value when he has 2 years at a very attractive cap hit left on his deal and teams are somewhat desperate for RH dmen.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 07:34 AM   #984
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Frank is fancying guesses at best.
When are you guys going to give up on this Seravelli hate and just acknowledge he has some pretty good connections and insights into what is happening. He pretty much called the returns for the Flames at the deadline and had some pretty good specifics. You may not like that he's telling you, but it appears to be accurate. It is kind of like when he was last on Barnburner and they were talking about buildings. Seravelli was being straight up about the Saddledome and made the mistake of using Edmonton's advantage as a direct comparison. The three stooges just heard only what they wanted to hear rather than take in that the Saddledome is the worst building in the league and players don't want to be around that space. Same thing goes on here and accepting what is circulating within the league. The guy obviously has connections in teams, with agencies, and with players.

Quote:
It's one thing to know about current trade talks, but it's a whole other thing to know a team's offseason plan well ahead of the offseason.
I doubt there is any secret the Flames are going to be players in free agency. Look at the blueline. They need two or three NHL caliber defensemen back there, and a couple that can play in the top pairs. I seriously doubt that any other team, agent, player, or analyst looks at the Calgary Flames and doesn't recognize the need. And considering that Frank just had a lengthy sit down with Conroy I would think that came right from the horse's mouth.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 07:41 AM   #985
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Frank is fancying guesses at best.

It's one thing to know about current trade talks, but it's a whole other thing to know a team's offseason plan well ahead of the offseason.
actually, he interviewed Conroy

Quote:
“One thing we didn’t have last year was any flexibility on the cap, so we weren’t able to add anything,” Conroy said. “So this year to have some money and build the team and add some players is going to be big for us moving forward.”

Calgary has roughly $19 million in space heading into the summer, with only $68.8 million committed to the $87.7 million upper limit. Don’t expect the Flames to be wining and dining the big names on the market, but they will certainly be a player in the mid-tier for players willing to sign for the right term.

“If there’s the right length of a contract, if there’s a need that we have, we’ll do that. It’s hard to find certain players,” Conroy said. “Maybe to add a veteran or two would be something nice. We have a good mix. We’re trying to let the young guys play, and that’s still the priority, but if we can find help for two or three years, that’s what we’d be looking for because it’s hard to make trades for certain players and we still want to be competitive.”
https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/gm...et-this-summer
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 07:46 AM   #986
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't let the facts get in the way of the nonsensical Seravalli hate around here.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 08:04 AM   #987
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone who thought the Flames were going to just sit on all that cap space next season hasn’t been paying attention.

The Flames want to be a playoff team next season. They want to be a playoff team every season. They aren’t going to risk losing assets for nothing - which is why they moved some pending UFAs for picks (after trying to re-sign most of them). And they aren’t going to trade picks for short-term help. But this team is not deliberately taking a plunge to the bottom of the standings. They’re going to use their cap space in the summer to improve the roster.

I doubt they’ll take a swing at the biggest UFAs. But they’ll probably be in the mix for guys like Myers, Demelo, Carrier, Henrique, and Wennberg.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 03-22-2024 at 08:10 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 08:18 AM   #988
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked what conroy had to say about wanting free agents on 2-3 year term. While I’m on team rebuild I can live with short term contracts coming in. Yes I know they are not rebuilding.

Conroy also mentions Markstrom . He is going to sit down with him at end of season and give marky his plan. It will be up to Markstrom to stay or to ask for trade. My gut tells me Markstrom will ask to be traded. Conroys plan seems to be try and sneak in while playing youth. Just hope Markstrom doesn’t give conroy a list of 1 team he will go to.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 08:32 AM   #989
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Anyone who thought the Flames were going to just sit on all that cap space next season hasn’t been paying attention.

The Flames want to be a playoff team next season. They want to be a playoff team every season. They aren’t going to risk losing assets for nothing - which is why they moved some pending UFAs for picks (after trying to re-sign most of them). And they aren’t going to trade picks for short-term help. But this team is not deliberately taking a plunge to the bottom of the standings. They’re going to use their cap space in the summer to improve the roster.

I doubt they’ll take a swing at the biggest UFAs. But they’ll probably be in the mix for guys like Myers, Demelo, Carrier, Henrique, and Wennberg.
I’m actually not sure I buy they are playoffs or bust next year especially if they trade Markstrom which it sounds like is happening. The Flames basically need to make playoffs or get a bottom ten pick next season and they aren’t making the playoffs with a bottom 5 defense group and middling forward group.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 08:37 AM   #990
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
From listening to Barn Burner, the interpretation was that these comments were to be expected publicly, but reading between the tea leaves, the team isn't locking into any cost-prohibitive contracts that limit their flexibility moving forward. AKA they won't be in on top of the heap UFA's that will alter their competitive window.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 08:40 AM   #991
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I’m actually not sure I buy they are playoffs or bust next year especially if they trade Markstrom which it sounds like is happening. The Flames basically need to make playoffs or get a bottom ten pick next season and they aren’t making the playoffs with a bottom 5 defense group and middling forward group.
This, and there's pretty much excess already in the forward group. What you see is more or less what you get when you factor in the long-term contracts. And it's just not a forward group that screams playoff team (or even close) to me.

Lose your Vezina caliber goaltender, and potentially add a D, but that doesn't move the needle much.

It's hard to even squint and see potential playoff team with this group.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 08:41 AM   #992
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do wonder if higher-end free agents will decide to do 2-3 year deals this summer regardless since the cap is now going to go up a fair bit over the next 5-8 seasons. Clubs, of course, will be trying to lock up players to long term knowing that.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 08:43 AM   #993
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been impressed by Conroy so far. While some people may fret that he hasn't gotten 110% of any expected return, I think he's done quite decently. More importantly, he's held the line on expiring contracts and making sure that we don't lose them for nothing. That has always been my biggest grievance (asset management).

I understand not wanting to sell guys ahead of playoffs, but have always thought that unless you are one of the top 7-8 teams in the league, you should be getting rid of those upcoming UFA's, not keeping them for a run.

He's been great at that, and held true to opening up some spots for young players. Nothing handed to anybody as we've seen with Coronato/Pelletier still looking to cement their spots on the team, but I'm sure they are far more excited and motivated to do so looking at their peers of Zary/Pospisil/Hunt all seeing a lot of time.

Big draft for Conroy, but he's given me a lot of faith thus far (though I don't think Treliving was as terrible as many on this board make him out to be either).
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 08:54 AM   #994
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
I do wonder if higher-end free agents will decide to do 2-3 year deals this summer regardless since the cap is now going to go up a fair bit over the next 5-8 seasons. Clubs, of course, will be trying to lock up players to long term knowing that.
I doubt it unless they are lining up for another contract around 30 after a shorter deal.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:09 AM   #995
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just look at the top free agents for 2024 and I don't see a lot of guys that are going to move the needle a lot for this organization. Sure some of these guys would bolster depth but the lack of elite talent is what's ultimately keeping the ceiling low for the organization.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 09:09 AM   #996
SaskyFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
I’m guessing it won’t be higher end guys. I would think guys like Barrie who will want to try to rebuild their value, sign a 1 year 3-4 mil deal. Or like San Jose did with Duclair. Sign those fringe veterans that either had a down year or are fading. Then plan on flipping them at the deadline, if they can rebuild their stock.

Or take on a overvalued contract with a couple years left, get draft picks or prospects with it.
SaskyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SaskyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 09:23 AM   #997
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jake Allen making New Jersey go Markstrom who?
Old 03-22-2024, 09:25 AM   #998
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Jake Allen making New Jersey go Markstrom who?
You think they are going to put all their eggs in the Jake Allen basket? The GM is a fool but he must like his job a bit more than that.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 09:31 AM   #999
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I just look at the top free agents for 2024 and I don't see a lot of guys that are going to move the needle a lot for this organization. Sure some of these guys would bolster depth but the lack of elite talent is what's ultimately keeping the ceiling low for the organization.
The Flames are better off taking a pick for a bad contract than sign lower value players in the off season.

I know everyone was hard in the paint for team tank this season, but next season is when the losing really starts.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 09:37 AM   #1000
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, Connie wouldn't be doing his job if he isn't also looking at what UFAs make sense to sign. You sign some guys to shorter contracts as a stop gap, and then trade them for more assets as rentals. That's just good asset management. Just don't go big game hunting, which I'm confident Connie's not doing based on the returns he's gotten this year from our pending UFAs.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good