Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
Schultzie
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Problems with an HP Pavillion DV9000

I have an HP Pavillion DV9000 laptop that recently started experiencing problems. Out of nowhere, the computer stopped recognizing any devices plugged into any of the USB ports. The devices themselves still work (ex. I can still charge an MP3 player, my video camera goes in to USB mode when plugged in, etc.), so power is still flowing from the computer in to the devices, but I can't open any files on them or anything like that, and the computer doesn't recognize that the devices are plugged in at all.

It also has a built in webcam that stopped working at the same time that the USB ports stopped working. I went in to the control panel and checked everything out, and the computer doesn't even recognize that it has a camera in any way.

I haven't tried the CD/DVD drive out yet, but I will report back if it doesn't work, too.

If anyone knows what might be causing this, any info and/or help would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Schultzie; 07-14-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Schultzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
Schultzie
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ok, so it recognizes CD's and DVD's when I load them into the appropriate drive, but it won't burn either of them. I suspect that is a separate issue, though.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

try re-installing the usb controller?
Old 07-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
Schultzie
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
try re-installing the usb controller?
Do you know how I could do that?

Sorry for the stupid question. I'm about as technologically un-advanced as a person can be. Haha. I appreciate the suggestion!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

There is such a thing as internal USB. It could be how your camera is connected to the motherboard.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2011, 12:49 AM   #6
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzie View Post
Do you know how I could do that?

Sorry for the stupid question. I'm about as technologically un-advanced as a person can be. Haha. I appreciate the suggestion!
Right click my computer --> Properties --> Device Manager

find the USB controllers (should be a few of them there) and uninstall them all and reboot to reinstall
Old 07-15-2011, 01:51 AM   #7
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Unfortunately, your laptop is known to experience many problems including what yours is doing. It has been part of a recall, and also was one of the models involved in a class action suit against Nvidia. The likely cause is your motherboard is failing, there is no fix except to replace the entire motherboard. You can find this out for certain by either removing the USB devices and rebooting to see if they start working, or doing a fresh install of Windows. But the likely outcome is they will start to fail again, hopefully that is not the case for you.

At one time HP was repairing these under warranty, but I believe that has expired.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
Schultzie
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Unfortunately, your laptop is known to experience many problems including what yours is doing. It has been part of a recall, and also was one of the models involved in a class action suit against Nvidia. The likely cause is your motherboard is failing, there is no fix except to replace the entire motherboard. You can find this out for certain by either removing the USB devices and rebooting to see if they start working, or doing a fresh install of Windows. But the likely outcome is they will start to fail again, hopefully that is not the case for you.

At one time HP was repairing these under warranty, but I believe that has expired.
BRUTAL! Haha. That would totally be my luck.

Thanks for the info! Hopefully that's not what it is, since there's no way I could afford to replace the motherboard right now. It's not sounding good, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 07-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
Schultzie
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Right click my computer --> Properties --> Device Manager

find the USB controllers (should be a few of them there) and uninstall them all and reboot to reinstall
Thanks, Rathji! I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt now. Hahaha.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:46 AM   #10
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, I had one of those crap laptops. I literally smashed it to pieces I got so fed up with it. I will NEVER buy an HP product again, unless it is sauce for my steak.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The fault was more Nvidia's instead of HPs because Nvidia was using a new soldering method (lead free for environmental friendliness) that caused cold solder microfractures on th motherboards.

There was a class action lawsuit in the US but I believe it's too late for you to get on it because HP has already settled it by sending old Compaq laptops to affected consumers. The law firm of course, took most of the money.

I'm sure the USB hub is dying/dead (webcam is also a USB device). If reinstalling the drivers for it doesn't help, the only way to fix the laptop is to reflow it by putting the whole thing in your oven for 8-10 minutes @ 350-400°

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 07-19-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Yeah, I had one of those crap laptops. I literally smashed it to pieces I got so fed up with it. I will NEVER buy an HP product again, unless it is sauce for my steak.
I really hope you took pictures/video of the smashing!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote