Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2017, 11:04 PM   #121
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Bartkowski is the 4th best NHL defenseman you have signed going into next year, you don't have a glut. I wonder if there is an NHL team with better opportunities for young D in 2017/18 than the Flames.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 01:06 AM   #122
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that's ####ty, that's the risk you take with college players I guess, some are thankful for the team they are drafted to and some could care less. Haven't seen Hickey a lot so I won't comment on the type of player he will be but I wasn't all that impressed with him at the world juniors a few years ago. Guess we'll see what happens but that doesn't sound like he will be signing here anytime soon. Don't think it's good for his development to be playing another year in college but obviously he's in no rush to play in the pros. Some players are hungry for it others aren't.

Last edited by Beninho; 03-31-2017 at 01:10 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:31 AM   #123
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Well that's ####ty, that's the risk you take with college players I guess, some are thankful for the team they are drafted to and some could care less. Haven't seen Hickey a lot so I won't comment on the type of player he will be but I wasn't all that impressed with him at the world juniors a few years ago. Guess we'll see what happens but that doesn't sound like he will be signing here anytime soon. Don't think it's good for his development to be playing another year in college but obviously he's in no rush to play in the pros. Some players are hungry for it others aren't.
How can you say that another year in college won't be good for his development when you said you haven't seen him a lot?
nemanja2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nemanja2306 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 11:48 AM   #124
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Sounds like exams at BU holding things up. At least that's what is holding up McAvoy with signing with Boston right now.
Midterm exams? Finals are usually in May.

McAvoy has signed an ATO contract with Providence and expects to help the baby-Bruins with the playoff hunt.

Stockton has Kulak, Wotherspoon, Morrison, and Culkin in the last year of their contracts and all four are RFA. Not sure how many will be brought back. Kostka will most likely be gone.

Kylington, Healey and Kanzig are the only guys that have a contract next year. On the Flames side, Andersson, Bartkowski, Hamilton, Giordano, and Brodie have contracts for next year. Falkovsky is probably going to play in Stockton next year as part of his development.

Number of spot available if Hickey signs.
tsquared1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:34 PM   #125
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquared1967 View Post
Midterm exams? Finals are usually in May.
What university did you go to? I was done my semester by early April usually. Maybe mid April if I had a late exam
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 12:44 PM   #126
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe US schools have a much later end date.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:47 PM   #127
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Don't college coaches often say "they expect so and so to be back".
I'm not sure we should take this as the absolute end result here.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 12:48 PM   #128
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Don't college coaches often say "they expect so and so to be back".
I'm not sure we should take this as the absolute end result here.
And Treliving has already gone on the record saying they are working on a contract. Doesn't sound like a player committed to returning to school.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:49 PM   #129
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
And Treliving has already gone on the record saying they are working on a contract. Doesn't sound like a player committed to returning to school.
So you're saying I panicked too early?
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:53 PM   #130
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
So you're saying I panicked too early?
Maybe. We'll see how the weekend plays out.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:59 PM   #131
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's pretty silly that a college player can't sign a contract with a pro team that takes effect after they finish school. It would give the NHL teams security, the players the ability to complete education, and the NCAA would be able to retain their stars longer.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 01:17 PM   #132
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemanja2306 View Post
How can you say that another year in college won't be good for his development when you said you haven't seen him a lot?
3 yrs of college hockey should be more than enough for him especillay hearing how some posters here have talked about him. Sounds like he's ready to make the jump. If he's as good as some people here claim he is than he shouldn't be playing in college anymore. Obviously getting your degree is different but you can do that in the summer.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:32 PM   #133
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
3 yrs of college hockey should be more than enough for him especillay hearing how some posters here have talked about him. Sounds like he's ready to make the jump. If he's as good as some people here claim he is than he shouldn't be playing in college anymore. Obviously getting your degree is different but you can do that in the summer.
He is a good prospect, but I don't think anyone (or many, at least) are calling him a slam dunk. I would think he'll need at least a year or two in the minors, so going back to college wouldn't be the worst thing either.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:04 PM   #134
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
What university did you go to? I was done my semester by early April usually. Maybe mid April if I had a late exam
I went to US university which didn't wrap up until mid-May.
tsquared1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tsquared1967 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 03:16 PM   #135
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

BU's classes run until May 3, with Finals from May 8-12: https://www.bu.edu/reg/calendars/

Their semester didn't start until January 19.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:33 PM   #136
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jfk signed with the Bruins today. Hopefully Hickey follows suit.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 10:25 PM   #137
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
If Bartkowski is the 4th best NHL defenseman you have signed going into next year, you don't have a glut. I wonder if there is an NHL team with better opportunities for young D in 2017/18 than the Flames.
Probably 29 teams with a better opportunity. When's the last time this team has given an opening roster day spot to a rookie defenseman? Flames don't play rookie defensemen and despite how bad Bartkowski is he will always be ahead of the best prospect they have in the AHL. It's just the way things are with NHL head coaches as if you provide them veteran defensemen they will always play them over rookies.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 10:41 PM   #138
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Probably 29 teams with a better opportunity. When's the last time this team has given an opening roster day spot to a rookie defenseman? Flames don't play rookie defensemen and despite how bad Bartkowski is he will always be ahead of the best prospect they have in the AHL. It's just the way things are with NHL head coaches as if you provide them veteran defensemen they will always play them over rookies.
You think the Flames are the worst team in the NHL at giving opportunity to young defensemen? I don't know about that. Which young defenseman hasn't been given a good shot? Guys like Wotherspoon and Kulak played in the NHL and werent exactly blue chippers.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:01 PM   #139
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
You think the Flames are the worst team in the NHL at giving opportunity to young defensemen? I don't know about that. Which young defenseman hasn't been given a good shot? Guys like Wotherspoon and Kulak played in the NHL and werent exactly blue chippers.
Wotherspoon and Kulak simply aren't very good. I've never seen what a lot of the board does in Kulak - I think if you're lucky he turns into Chris Butler.

I think Hickey could be Hjalmarsson.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:11 PM   #140
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Wotherspoon and Kulak simply aren't very good. I've never seen what a lot of the board does in Kulak - I think if you're lucky he turns into Chris Butler.

I think Hickey could be Hjalmarsson.
Agreed. Not that good and yet they had opportunity at the NHL level.