Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2015, 10:57 PM   #261
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Jealously from HF Oilers

Quote:
I'm sure people are sour but if you actually watch the Flames play often they get hemmed in their own end for long stretches of time and then score on their limited chances. It's basically rope-a-dope. They have almost everything going their way from bounces to calls to teams stupidly playing their backup goalie (I'm looking at you, Nashville).

I for one don't believe for a second that the Flames have turned it around (history has shown that poor possession teams have it catch up to them), but with that being said, how is it almost every team can make the playoffs, fluke or not, while we toil in the bottom 3 for the 5th out of 6 seasons? It's actually statistically more unlikely to be this bad for this long than it is to do what the Flames are doing.

We haven't even sniffed the playoffs in 6 years and we haven't seen a playoff game in 9. We're likely to surpass the record for longest playoff drought, and the worst part is that we're not even remotely close to turning it around because the idiots up top pat themselves on the back like it's going out of style.

I partially agree on your point about success but it's all about scope. "Success" for the Oilers is making it to Christmas without being so far out of the playoffs that it's hopeless and we couldn't even make it to Halloween. And then MacT and Lowe will sell the fans on the pointless late season winning streak as hope for next year, barely do anything to the roster and then oops! Auston Mathews come on down!

Being an Oilers fan is bad enough but seeing every other team succeed in a fraction of the time makes it unbearable, no matter how much of an illusion it might be.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:00 PM   #262
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Funny that Oiler fan's are already talking about the 2016 1st Overall Pick.. hahahaha what a loser fan base
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:04 PM   #263
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

The flames haven't seen very many backup goalies and they certainly haven't gotten the benefit of many favourable calls. I for one hope the Oilers continue to languish and suffer as one of the NHL bottom feeders for years to come. Which will likely continue to happen until ownership opens their eyes.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:07 PM   #264
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good grief...that game took years off of my life. It was sooo easy when we didn't have a chance to make the playoffs!
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:11 PM   #265
smoothessence
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

4-1-2 to finish off this last seven-game set.

The boys just keep winning.
smoothessence is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smoothessence For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 11:17 PM   #266
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just want them to get in, regardless of position, to see Hartley in the postseason. I think he can outcoach anyone at this point. And he's got the soldiers to do his bidding.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:19 PM   #267
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Jealously from HF Oilers
Good, #### those idiots. They just couldn't shut their mouths over their first overalls and "bright future" and look at them now. The laughing stock of the league. May they eternally be garbage and may their fans continue to be sucked in with some meaningless late season points to set up crushing disappointment for the following season. Lab rats learn lessons faster than those morons.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 11:22 PM   #268
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I get that we won, still he gives me a heart attack for the way he plays.
I'd say both him and Ramo are scary to watch. The way Ramo over-commits alot and loses his net drives me nuts.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 11:22 PM   #269
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still can't believe all the Hiller criticism (and if you read the game thread I called a spade a spade in the first goal).

And while he and Ramo both have faults, some posters have it exactly backwards when they say he flops around or looks small. That's Ramo. Hiller is the one who blocks pucks and gives short rebounds, sometimes over-relies on positioning and not his glove, and gives the top inside corner because of the style he plays.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:24 PM   #270
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Jealously from HF Oilers

Quote:

We haven't even sniffed the playoffs in 6 years and we haven't seen a playoff game in 9. We're likely to surpass the record for longest playoff drought, and the worst part is that we're not even remotely close to turning it around because the idiots up top pat themselves on the back like it's going out of style.

I partially agree on your point about success but it's all about scope. "Success" for the Oilers is making it to Christmas without being so far out of the playoffs that it's hopeless and we couldn't even make it to Halloween. And then MacT and Lowe will sell the fans on the pointless late season winning streak as hope for next year, barely do anything to the roster and then oops! Auston Mathews come on down!

Being an Oilers fan is bad enough but seeing every other team succeed in a fraction of the time makes it unbearable, no matter how much of an illusion it might be.
never heard futility summed up so succinctly

oilers fans are truly the poets of no good

honestly kaufkaesque

edmonton where hockey has no meaning and further suffering is abject, certain, and for-seeably unending.

Spoiler!

this fan base is tapped out and broken. so, so, very great.

is your cat doing singing?

Last edited by handgroen; 03-30-2015 at 11:26 PM.
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:25 PM   #271
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Absolutely loved the blocked shot and diving pass deflection by gaudreau in the finality tenor the game! This kid impresses more and more as the season goes on. What a competitor!
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:27 PM   #272
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames have not lost since I changed my computer desktop to this...

Old 03-30-2015, 11:29 PM   #273
smoothessence
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

NSFW!
smoothessence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:31 PM   #274
Your Calgary Flames!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
Ummm what?
Sorry. I was referring to my earlier posts! The media always talk about the team being this way or that but they do not give enought credit to the coaching staff and our system.
Your Calgary Flames! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Your Calgary Flames! For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 11:33 PM   #275
YogiBerra
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Jealously from HF Oilers
Not that we are as skilled as any of the national teams but does rope a dope not work for them in all of these tournaments? Canada regularily outshoots people in most of these tournaments but other than the olympics where we have a lot of talent we haven't won many medals lately. It isn't a recipe for long term success but obviously it works.
YogiBerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:34 PM   #276
Circa89
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Flames have not lost since I changed my computer desktop to this...

Well Mr. Rejean31. I work for the RCMP anti piracy division and I would like to have a chat with you about your running Bit Torrent, CR Torrent and DVD burning software on your desktop!

Jk

Last edited by Circa89; 03-30-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Circa89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Circa89 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 11:36 PM   #277
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one thing I thought was that it was a good thing they got to roll 4 lines in Nashvillem because Hartley sure played the top two lines a lot in the 3rd period. The Colborne and Stajan lines maybe got 2-3 shifts each.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:43 PM   #278
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jealously from HF Oilers
It's pretty funny to see, and I'm sure we do it to, but they will see what they want to see, and cherry pick what they want to. Sure if you watch tonight's game alone, it gives you tones of ammo to suggest the Flames have been getting lucky to win, because they were tonight. And of course you can cherry pick times when this team has gotten hemmed for portions of every game, and go see, see. I even saw one of their fans cherry picks the St.Louis game the others week as an example of why JG isn't really that good, as though he hast scored 60 pts across the season.

Truth is, make it or not, maybe the Flames are getting a little lucky this year to be in the playoff fight to the end, but who cares. What's also true, is that the Flames were suppose to be in the category of teams that wasn't even getting a sniff, the Oilers and Coyotes of the world. The fact is, it's not luck as to why we aren't in that category, we are much better than that, much better than where we were suppose to be, by a long shot. So regardless, we have turned a corner, and are much further along than we were expected to be and where the Oilers are.

They can try to make themselves feel better, even if we make it that it's all a big fluke. But even if luck is giving us a few extra steps or positions in the standings this year, if Oilers fans are expecting us to be joining them next year at the bottom of the barrel, they are going to be sorely disappointed I think because we aren't even close to overachieving by that much this year, and these guys are just going to get better.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 11:46 PM   #279
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The one thing I thought was that it was a good thing they got to roll 4 lines in Nashvillem because Hartley sure played the top two lines a lot in the 3rd period. The Colborne and Stajan lines maybe got 2-3 shifts each.
Hah. Just checked the game sheet and I'm totally wrong. The 3rd and 4th lines got more shifts as the game went in, including the 3rd period. Their shifts got really short though.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:48 PM   #280
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWITZER View Post
Thanks but that picture is so much better in "normal" caption.
Dajazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jg=vg , rafaformayor