Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2024, 12:59 PM   #1181
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The impression that I get out of Jersey is that they have competing factions, fighting on this front. The analytics guys are against pursuing Markstrom, and Brodeur (and I assume others) are lobbying hard for him.

Fitzpatrick is in the middle, sitting on his thumb.
His hissy fit after the deadline seems to indicate he wants him. He even said they are going goalie hunting in the offseason.

Is Nashville trading Saros after this incredible run and playoffs?
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 01:02 PM   #1182
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
His hissy fit after the deadline seems to indicate he wants him. He even said they are going goalie hunting in the offseason.

I am fairly confident that Nashville is going to keep Saros long term. The main market will be Markstrom and Ullmark.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM   #1183
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Unless Saros wants out their asking price just went up. Markstrom is more affordable in comparison.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:04 PM   #1184
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I am fairly confident that Nashville is going to keep Saros long term. The main market will be Markstrom and Ullmark.
Do you think Askarov might be in play at some point?
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:27 PM   #1185
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Remember when Markstrom was worth Mercer + 1st at minimum?
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:49 PM   #1186
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I highly doubt it. They have their version of wolf down in the ahl right now.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:55 PM   #1187
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I highly doubt it. They have their version of wolf down in the ahl right now.
I doubt they are intending to just throw Askarov in the deep end though. They either sign Saros as well (with a view to trading him down the road) or they trade Saros and bring in a veteran.

Thing is - the Preds aren't really in rebuild mode - so do they drop a 28 year old Saros and take a chance that way?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:15 PM   #1188
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
With markstrom due a bonus after the draft, is there any chance the flames and devils could work out a deal for the devils first rounder prior to the draft? It would essentially involve 2 deals. One to send the pick to the flames at the draft and another to send Markstrom to the devils after the bonus is paid out
Nah, if the league didn't kill it then I still don't see New Jersey agreeing to a handshake deal to give away a high pick.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:19 PM   #1189
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The impression that I get out of Jersey is that they have competing factions, fighting on this front. The analytics guys are against pursuing Markstrom, and Brodeur (and I assume others) are lobbying hard for him.

Fitzpatrick is in the middle, sitting on his thumb.
When Brodeur is #2 in your front office, his voice on goalie matters should prevail.

Wasn't Markstrom amazing at underlyling numbers? High danger save? I don't know goalie numbers that well, so i could be totally wrong.
Old 03-27-2024, 02:24 PM   #1190
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I doubt they are intending to just throw Askarov in the deep end though. They either sign Saros as well (with a view to trading him down the road) or they trade Saros and bring in a veteran.

Thing is - the Preds aren't really in rebuild mode - so do they drop a 28 year old Saros and take a chance that way?
rumours are saros wants 8 years. I’m not sure how tradeable a goalie is going to be with at least 5 years left on his contract. Nashville has always made the tough decisions on what to do for future. Think they will trade saros and bring in vet to mentor Askarov. It’s the same thing flames should do with wolf if they trade Markstrom.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:27 PM   #1191
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Nah, if the league didn't kill it then I still don't see New Jersey agreeing to a handshake deal to give away a high pick.
Happens in the NBA all the time.
Old 03-27-2024, 02:35 PM   #1192
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
rumours are saros wants 8 years. I’m not sure how tradeable a goalie is going to be with at least 5 years left on his contract. Nashville has always made the tough decisions on what to do for future. Think they will trade saros and bring in vet to mentor Askarov. It’s the same thing flames should do with wolf if they trade Markstrom.
Big difference is Saros is only 28 and is a proven elite goalie.

Askarov is only 22 and has been good but not unreal at the AHL level.

Saros played 5 years with Rinne as his mentor after becoming the full time backup.

If Nashville re-signed Saros for 8 years and tried to trade him after 4 or 5 years he would be 35 and have 3 years left on his deal...pretty much the same situation as the Flames trying to move Markstrom now.

I think they try to re-sign him and have Askarov come up alongside him.

Askarov has played 3 NHL games and has a career .912 AHL save percentage...I don't think they are full committed to handing him the keys yet.

They have been the best team in the NHL for the last 25 games too...which might change their thoughts on trading him.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 02:44 PM   #1193
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nashville is under new management. They have Forsberg, Josi, McDonough and ROR under long term deals. Plus Schenn, Scissons, etc on shorter term ones.

Frankly, I don't know where they think they are in the team buidling timeline. But Askarov is pretty much where Gillies was at the same time of development and look how that turned out.
Old 03-27-2024, 02:55 PM   #1194
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nashville is under new management. They have Forsberg, Josi, McDonough and ROR under long term deals. Plus Schenn, Scissons, etc on shorter term ones.

Frankly, I don't know where they think they are in the team buidling timeline. But Askarov is pretty much where Gillies was at the same time of development and look how that turned out.
Plus look at Barry Trotz coached teams.

Vokoun / Dunham
Vokoun / Mason
Rinne / Ellis
Rinne / Hutton
Holtby / Grubauer
Lehner / Greiss
Varlamov / Sorokin

If there is a guy that has a long history of slowly working in young goalies, and believing in having tandem goaltenders it's Barry Trotz. Then add on top of that Nashville as an organization also really has a history of tandem goalies and letting the young goalie learn from the incumbent, and did it under Poile all the time (and he's still an advisor there).

Their leadership team will for sure want a Saros / Askarov tandem for the next couple years.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 03-27-2024 at 02:59 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 02:55 PM   #1195
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Happens in the NBA all the time.
Can you provide examples of teams trading a player and then sending compensation later. I don't think I have ever seen it in sports. I am not talking about contracts.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:58 PM   #1196
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Can you provide examples of teams trading a player and then sending compensation later. I don't think I have ever seen it in sports. I am not talking about contracts.
I thought the poster meant at the draft.

NBA teams usually draft a player for another team on a handshake and the deal happens after that.
Old 03-27-2024, 03:13 PM   #1197
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Vokoun / Dunham
Vokoun / Mason
Rinne / Ellis
Rinne / Hutton
Holtby / Grubauer
Lehner / Greiss
Varlamov / Sorokin

If there is a guy that has a long history of slowly working in young goalies, and believing in having tandem goaltenders it's Barry Trotz. Then add on top of that Nashville as an organization also really has a history of tandem goalies and letting the young goalie learn from the incumbent, and did it under Poile all the time (and he's still an advisor there).

Their leadership team will for sure want a Saros / Askarov tandem for the next couple years.
Agree with your post. Would say a lot more than a couple years though.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:15 PM   #1198
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Vokoun / Dunham
Vokoun / Mason
Rinne / Ellis
Rinne / Hutton
Holtby / Grubauer
Lehner / Greiss
Varlamov / Sorokin

And Trotz has always had the advice of the arguably best goalie coach in the world.
Old 03-27-2024, 03:34 PM   #1199
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Old 03-27-2024, 03:52 PM   #1200
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought the poster meant at the draft.

NBA teams usually draft a player for another team on a handshake and the deal happens after that.
This is because NBA teams can’t trade 1st round picks in back to back seasons . So if they are trading a 1st at the draft and they don’t have the next seasons they have to first draft the player and then immediately trade him
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good