Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2024, 01:08 PM   #1161
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Hmm last game I was thinking to myself this guy is not an NHL forward....
He is tied for 86th in even strength points for forwards in the NHL an is 3rd on the Flames. Maybe he just had a bad game.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 01:10 PM   #1162
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba'alzamon View Post
Again... no he can't. I don't think you understand how bad Dumba has been for the past... I don't know, seven years?

Miromanov is better. Definitively. Pachal too.
I am aware of his play. He is an NHLer that can log minutes.

Miromanov should be a #5 who gets paired with a defensive guy, and who gets PP time (much like Zadorov, except for the PP)

Pachal, Okhutiuk, Hanley, along with auditions from Poirier, Grushnikov, Solovyov, Kuznetsov, and possibly Brzustewicz, will/should be all on the bottom pairing.

Again, not looking for Dumba to improve the defense, just take some minutes, to reduce the burden on the young guys.

edit: and not married at all to Dumba specifically, just someone like that.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 01:23 PM   #1163
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yeah, pretty much.

The Flames are gonna go get a guy who can eat some minutes... the quality of those minutes is an entirely different matter. The Flames won't get a legit top 4 on any team in the league guy because those guys are all going to go to teams that have a better shot at winning, or more comfortable climate, or better tax rates, or will offer more years then it would be wise for the Flames to offer.

I don't think we have a single D prospect that's NHL ready (Poirier might have been if he hadn't have lost pretty much the whole year to injury) so I think it's not a bad idea to sign or acquire a NHL vet on a short-term deal who can eat minutes while the decent group of D prospects we have bake in the minors for another year and get NHL ready.

Do I think Dumba or Myers or Brodie or any of the guys of that ilk are good? Nope... not anymore... but I think they're professionals who can handle playing a bunch of minutes for a season and won't demand a lot of years.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 01:39 PM   #1164
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sounds like a job for a guy like Zadorov. Reading the names available, he is not worse than the current crop of guys being discussed - Brodie Myers Dumba Barrie. We know what he can do, either very good bottom pairing minutes or occasional serviceable 2nd pairing minutes in case of injury, can't say the same for these other names, many have fallen off to healthy scratch #7s.

It just depends if he gets humbled in free agency again and both sides are willing to circle back.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 01:57 PM   #1165
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really considering putting money on Tyson Barrie signing here.

It just sort of feels like its going to happen.

I'm pretty sure the Zadorov bridge is burned.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM   #1166
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I must be the only who thinks the Flames have settled their defense and are going to work the FW group only in the summer. Because I don't really see where they fit in new D men. It's a re tool and they don't really have space to give kids a shot and bring in vets at the same time.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:44 PM   #1167
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I must be the only who thinks the Flames have settled their defense and are going to work the FW group only in the summer. Because I don't really see where they fit in new D men. It's a re tool and they don't really have space to give kids a shot and bring in vets at the same time.
If they stick with this group of dmen they are going all in on not having a pick outside the top 10 next year (which is fine by me). But the easiest way to ensure you lost a good number of games is to have your 5/6 (when your entire team is healthy) arguably be AHLers on every playoff team. A team that has Hanley/Pachal and Okhotyuk in those spots is definitely that team.

I hope they try to get Schmidt and a 1st for a 5th and give the Jets a fighting chance to sign Demelo and Dillon. Jets would be losing their 6 million dollar 5th dman but would be gaining a lot of cap space to try to take another run next year.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:03 PM   #1168
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I'm really considering putting money on Tyson Barrie signing here.

It just sort of feels like its going to happen.

I'm pretty sure the Zadorov bridge is burned.
I don't see any bridges burnt. I think it was pretty mutual that the vets wanted long contracts and the Flames weren't offering them. I don't see Zadarov signing, because he still likely wants a long contract, which the Flames still aren't handing out.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:12 PM   #1169
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Sounds like a job for a guy like Zadorov. Reading the names available, he is not worse than the current crop of guys being discussed - Brodie Myers Dumba Barrie. We know what he can do, either very good bottom pairing minutes or occasional serviceable 2nd pairing minutes in case of injury
I think that guy is Miromanov.

As for who they bring in... if I had my pick of guys of that ilk... I'm kind of partial to Brodie. Shoots left, knows a few guys here already, familiar with the city and facility already, has a bit of nostalgic fondness (I think) from the fans.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:32 PM   #1170
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I look at the UFA Dmen and don't see anyone I want the Flames to give a big contract to.

Assuming they re-sign OK:

Kylington - Andersson
Weegar - Miromanov
Okhotiuk - Pachal
Hanley

Poirier - Solovyov
Kuznetsov - Brzustewicz
Grushnikov - Lyle
Jurmo

Like, it's pretty full at both levels and some of the guys in the AHL you'll want pushing for NHL jobs.

The top 4 NHL guys seem to be alright for a rebuilding team, the bottom pairing is up for grabs between the three I listed plus some of the prospects.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 03:50 PM   #1171
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Defence:
Weegar - Miromanov
Kylington - Weegar

Pachal needs NHL games to improve, but is essentially an NHL'er.
Okhotiuk needs NHL games to continue getting better - I think he has past that threshold.
Grushnikov is a prospect that is supposedly further ahead in development, so he probably can use NHL playing time too.
Hanley has another year left on his deal and can help shelter the young kids, and being 32 should make him a decent mentor.
Solovyov has looked like he was at the threshold of taking the next step. Made some mistakes, but usually he looked decent in most games, so I would argue he should get some NHL games again to help his development.
Kuznetsov had a smaller sample size, but he looked a step behind while he was up. However, I would argue that he could benefit from a few recalls during the season and getting some NHL time in as well to help in his development.
Poirier missed almost an entire season this year, but I would be shocked to not have seen him in the NHL for some good looks this season had he remained healthy. I think he probably does need to see some NHL action this upcoming season to help his development along.
Morin would be a bit of a long-shot, but I thought he was an absolute standout in preseason and camp overall. What if he looks even a bit better? It wouldn't be that absurd for him to actually make the team. Long-shot of course, but not completely absurd given his showing last year. Reminded me of Zary looking really good, but getting sent down anyway.

Brzustevicz is probably a longer shot, but maybe he isn't. I still have Morin ahead of him in the prospects ranking, and a lot of it had to do with how well he showed against older prospects and NHL players. Maybe Brzustevicz is just as good or even better? I would like to see him at camp of course, but this is not a guy I would just cross off the list until is see him at camp.
Jurmo probably should get an entire AHL season to try and get back on track. People who have tracked him feel he hasn't taken any steps offensively or defensively, so having that regularity would probably be the most beneficial thing for him at this point.

Gilbert is a UFA after this season, but I would rather re-sign him for some depth/mentorship than bring in guys like Dumba and Barrie. I would bet that Gilbert will take another 1 year at minimum salary again, and he already knows the team and structure as well.

Additions to target:
How about one of these three groups:
1) Waiver-wire - I bet that there will be much better LONG TERM options available on the waiver wire than what Dumba and Barrie will provide. Keep the spots open ready to claim one or two.
2) Cap dumps with sweeteners - some teams will need to make room, so why not take advantage of that? Grab a short term cap negative contract who can play on the bottom pairing and brings with it an asset.

What is the goal for next season? Make the playoffs, or develop the youth? If the goal is to try and get a playoff spot, then disregard everything above, and go out and sign the best available UFA defencemen available and overpay them enough to make you look attractive enough as a destination. Otherwise, go in with what you have, and keep on the lookout for deals out there that help you improve LONG TERM.
================================================

Wingers:
I won't bother listing them all, but again, there are plenty of forwards right now, especially wingers. There is ZERO need to go out in the market and overpay for a guy like Debrusk. Why would he want to sign here? Flames would have to give the soon-to-be 28 year old both term and money. Then what? Keep Coronato and Pelletier in the AHL all year?

Mangiapane and Kuzmenko are likely going to be traded at some point during the season, and maybe not until the trade deadline. Sharangovich - if he keeps playing like he has - will probably get re-signed. I feel he is more of a winger than a centre though. Either way, he will probably get re-signed, unless his demands are too high, or unsolicited offers for him are too good to turn down. Who else is leaving? There is a glut of wingers on this team. I don't want to see Coronato and Pelletier on the 4th line any longer, as they are not 4th line type of players. Keep that spot open for guys like Klapka instead or any of the other players that have a more limited offensive upside.

I would want to trade some wingers OUT before I even think about signing others. If that happens, sure, go ahead and overpay for a guy like Debrusk who will be at the tail-end of his career when this team is competitive again. So unless the goal is to turn this thing around right away starting next season, don't waste the development spot and the cap on expensive UFAs please. Debrusk will go Day 1 of the UFA season, unless he has to sit and wait for cap room to clear for a team he prefers.

Instead, look for opportunities to get players for free who are younger off of waivers as teams try to sneak players through before opening night of the NHL season. Take on a short-term cap hit with a sweetener instead. That makes much more sense to me long term.

Centres:
Flames are looking a bit thin here. I am not sure what kind of a centre that they can attract without drastically overpaying for, however, that actually improves them. They aren't going to be attracting a #1 centre (unless they see a guy hit the UFA market that has a lot of room to grow and has never gotten the opportunity, but this is a huge reach). I doubt they find someone better than either Kadri or Backlund, and Rooney is here as the #4 centre. I can see them looking for a centre and trying to hope they find someone to play between Huberdeau and Sharangovich, but I doubt they do. I think it would be probably more worthwhile to simply switch Zary back to centre and see how that goes. In fact, I hope they do exactly this with about 10 games left to see how he looks.

Goalies:
This is where I see the Flames being active. I am anticipating a Markstrom trade. Wolf has essentially graduated (I can't imagine him going back down unless it is a paper transaction only trying to get under the cap right if the Markstrom trade is held up that long). On top of this, Dansk is is a UFA as well. Sergeev is trending well, but I expect another NCAA season for him. Yegorov seems to be progressing (stats watching here), but I see no harm keeping him in the goalie factory known as Russia. Chechelev hasn't progressed after his superb draft +1 year, and is also in Russia - let him stay there and develop. Seems like Conroy will have to find at least one more goalie if Dansk re-signs, and potentially 2 of he doesn't re-sign. Maybe they sign Murphy who has seemed like an decent goalie in the AHL backing Dansk up right now, or they find different ones.

Just give the playing time to the young guys who are progressing and can be long-term solutions for the Flames. Look for other opportunities to acquire more young guys who can offer a long-term solutions. Keep your options open rather than start signing guys off the UFA market. Team has too many bodies as is in most positions.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 04:17 PM   #1172
YyjFlames
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I am aware of his play. He is an NHLer that can log minutes.

Miromanov should be a #5 who gets paired with a defensive guy, and who gets PP time (much like Zadorov, except for the PP)

Pachal, Okhutiuk, Hanley, along with auditions from Poirier, Grushnikov, Solovyov, Kuznetsov, and possibly Brzustewicz, will/should be all on the bottom pairing.

Again, not looking for Dumba to improve the defense, just take some minutes, to reduce the burden on the young guys.

Dumba should be the target if he's available as he would likely improve the defense and he'd probably be a solid mentor and a defensively and physically sound second/third pairing guy that would take the pressure off a younger or newer defender. He's been through a lot of ups and downs and seems to have remade himself as a reliable defense-first team guy.

Yes, he isn't the same two-way beast of a player he was five years ago, but he's shifted from trying to regain his offensive form and settled into a steadier, physical defender. He was decent over the last number of months on Arizona and he seems to have helped steady a floundering, but now much improved Tampa Bay team (yeah, smallish sample size there)...

If TB keeps playing like they have, he may not make it to free agency though, as TB will probably lock him down on a decent three to four year contract (Hanifin is the wildcard there). He just seems to be a guy at the right age that would help stabilize the ups and downs of a youngish and inexperienced Calgary defense -- as long as he's not put on the first pairing and expected to carry the team.

Him paired with Kylington or Miromanov or Poirier could be dynamic.
YyjFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 04:24 PM   #1173
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I look at the UFA Dmen and don't see anyone I want the Flames to give a big contract to.

Assuming they re-sign OK:

Kylington - Andersson
Weegar - Miromanov
Okhotiuk - Pachal
Hanley

Poirier - Solovyov
Kuznetsov - Brzustewicz
Grushnikov - Lyle
Jurmo

Like, it's pretty full at both levels and some of the guys in the AHL you'll want pushing for NHL jobs.

The top 4 NHL guys seem to be alright for a rebuilding team, the bottom pairing is up for grabs between the three I listed plus some of the prospects.
This is actually why I wouldn't mind moving Andersson at all - especially if there is a strong market for him.

Move Andersson at the draft, and try to replace him with either a veteran cap dump or a Free Agent on a 3 year deal.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 04:29 PM   #1174
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't rule out Grushnikov. I suspect he will have a full time roster spot next season.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:33 PM   #1175
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

This tells me NJ is going to be hell bent on getting Markstrom. A little insight into how New Jersey views Markstrom. Brodeur thinks #1 goalies need to play more games vs 1A and 1B set-ups. Seems Brodeur is a fan of Marky and views him in rare air:

Quote:
“So these guys are playing 55 games. They should be playing 65 to 70 games like we did.”....“I think we baby our goalies,” Brodeur said. “I see it. I’m part of it. It’s like, my goalie coach will say, ‘He’s played five games the past eight days …’ I’m like, ‘So?’”.....“It’s a good reality now — you need to have two goalies,” he conceded. “I think that’s where it gets skewed. Like, it’s hard to find that No. 1 goalie. You get it in Nashville. You get it in Tampa. You get it in Calgary. There’s a couple of places that have them. But there’s not many. A lot of them are tandems.
https://theathletic.com/5370658/2024...shared_article
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 12:44 PM   #1176
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I noticed that comment as well. I'm sure they will circle back in the summer.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 12:45 PM   #1177
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
This tells me NJ is going to be hell bent on getting Markstrom. A little insight into how New Jersey views Markstrom. Brodeur thinks #1 goalies need to play more games vs 1A and 1B set-ups. Seems Brodeur is a fan of Marky and views him in rare air:

https://theathletic.com/5370658/2024...shared_article
With markstrom due a bonus after the draft, is there any chance the flames and devils could work out a deal for the devils first rounder prior to the draft? It would essentially involve 2 deals. One to send the pick to the flames at the draft and another to send Markstrom to the devils after the bonus is paid out
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 12:49 PM   #1178
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The impression that I get out of Jersey is that they have competing factions, fighting on this front. The analytics guys are against pursuing Markstrom, and Brodeur (and I assume others) are lobbying hard for him.

Fitzpatrick is in the middle, sitting on his thumb.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 12:56 PM   #1179
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
Think we’re stuck with eat bread. Best thing that can happen is he has a great contract year coming up and look at moving at next years deadline. Time to move on.
I think Conroy will make every effort to move him. The team has continually talked about the importance of players wanting to be here, Mangiapane doesn't.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 12:58 PM   #1180
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I don't see any bridges burnt. I think it was pretty mutual that the vets wanted long contracts and the Flames weren't offering them. I don't see Zadarov signing, because he still likely wants a long contract, which the Flames still aren't handing out.
The Flames were pissed on how Z went about his request to move on, the drama he brought to the team, and they don't have an appetite to pay what he will want. I think the odds of big Z returning are slim and none and Slim has left town.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good