Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #261
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Split98,

I like your designs. But I want to ask what does the "leaf" thingy on the right side represent?

I personally like the Flaming Tower design (third one on the list) the most. The player silouette looks too old school and too generic clipart-like

Also one suggestion - I don't really like the slogan "Unofficial Calgary Flames Community." It sounds like we are running some illegal operations here. Maybe changing it to something like "Calgary Flames Fan Community" or "Fan Forum of the Calgary Flames".

Also, are we allowed to sneak in a small Flaming C logo somewhere (like replacing one of the small "buttons" in the middle) or there will be trademark issues?

Just some of my personal thoughts...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #262
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah using the Flames logo wouldn't be allowed, and "Unofficial" makes sure that it's clear that we're not affiliated with the Flames.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #263
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
This could possibly get into the same difficulty as the image of the Calgary Tower, the source photo that you used to create the silhouette is owned by someone so we'd probably need permission to use it, and I don't know about the implications of using a specific player's image as well, so might be better for the player to be more abstract and not identifiable.

Not just your stuff, anyone that's making logos should keep in mind that any source material that isn't created from scratch could involve getting permission or purchasing an image (unless they're already licensed under creative commons or something). Would hate to have to reject a good option because of copyright.
With modification, most images are legal for re-use.

For example, with the Calgary Tower any of these could be source images:
Calgary Tower Labeled for Reuse with Modification

The image of Monahan has been used by the NHL, Calgary Herald, CBC, Hockey in Society and many other locations as an image to their article. So I'm not sure if that specific image falls under CC or not. But, you're right that a vector cut-out of an image could still fall under the copyright violation from what I understand.

Edit: As credited by the Calgary Herald it's Derek Leung of Getty Images we would want to get in touch with. It's entirely possible that we email him and he says "Great!"

Last edited by Split98; 08-06-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #264
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Um... thanks?

Kidding. I totally know what you're saying. Thanks!

You're not smart, and everyone else are just try-hards.

:P
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #265
Ulrith
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

I love these- particularly the Monahan celebration and the simple "CP". Some awesome designs all around but these are my favorite so far.
Ulrith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ulrith For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #266
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Cosby View Post
You're not smart, and everyone else are just try-hards.

:P
Awwwwwww shucks

Waaaaaait a minute...
Old 08-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #267
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I love the colour scheme of Split's logos but I am not sold on the Monohan image. I honestly just don't care for the image itself, not sure why. I do like the simple CP one on the bottom though. I could see that working in multiple scenarios.

A big thank you to everyone who has contributed from a fellow with zero artistic ability.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #268
FireItUp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Here's a couple updated ones...

Old 08-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #269
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Lots of really great ideas.

However, I think a logo should be simple, symmetrical and easily identifiable. There should be symbolism but not to the point that it's only symbolism.

Based on those criteria I think the above quoted are my favourite. I don't know if I like the hockey player the best (and the idea to change the silhouette to famous Flames poses) or the flame with the Calgary Tower in the middle.

Regardless, AMAZING job by everyone.
These look great, but my minor complaint: the saddle looks like a Jesus fish to me.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #270
photon

Exp:

Quote:
With modification, most images are legal for re-use.
I think they are in the US (I remember reading about a court case where someone was selling remixed photos), but I don't know about Canada.

I also don't know if there's a difference in just using some art to create new art and using art to create a logo.. a logo is different than art in that it's intended as an identifying image. So maybe copyright isn't the concern but trademark is?

Quote:
The image of Monahan has been used by the NHL, Calgary Herald, CBC, Hockey in Society and many other locations as an image to their article.
Right but reporting is definitely fair use; they're using images of players while reporting about the game, not incorporating the player's images into their logo or otherwise using the player's images to promote themselves. Just like we're Calgarypuck, but not CalgaryFlamesForum. It's editorial use vs. commercial use.

Plus any photos that the Herald or CBC uses are either taken by their own photographers or purchased from the photographers so own or license the copyright from whoever took the photo.

That's actually the exact nature of a past lawsuit against CP was; use of images without permission.

Quote:
So I'm not sure if that specific image falls under CC or not.
It should be easy to find out, just look at the source image and where it came from. It's taken by Derek Leung and is from Getty Images.

http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/new...hoto/184447339

Definitely not creative commons, and when I tried to get a price it told me that the image was intended for editorial use and commercial use (use in web advertising was the nearest fit I could see) said I had to contact them.

I don't know the laws for sure so I'm not saying we can or can't use something for sure, just saying that it's a consideration and that to use something questionable we'd need pretty solid support that it's fine before using it (i.e. getting permission, or direction from a lawyer).
Old 08-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #271
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireItUp View Post
Here's a couple updated ones...

Like it. But maybe a tad phallic . Could just be Freudian me though.
bzoo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bzoo02 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #272
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I think they are in the US (I remember reading about a court case where someone was selling remixed photos), but I don't know about Canada.

I also don't know if there's a difference in just using some art to create new art and using art to create a logo.. a logo is different than art in that it's intended as an identifying image. So maybe copyright isn't the concern but trademark is?

Right but reporting is definitely fair use; they're using images of players while reporting about the game, not incorporating the player's images into their logo or otherwise using the player's images to promote themselves. Just like we're Calgarypuck, but not CalgaryFlamesForum. It's editorial use vs. commercial use.

Plus any photos that the Herald or CBC uses are either taken by their own photographers or purchased from the photographers so own or license the copyright from whoever took the photo.

That's actually the exact nature of a past lawsuit against CP was; use of images without permission.

It should be easy to find out, just look at the source image and where it came from. It's taken by Derek Leung and is from Getty Images.

http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/new...hoto/184447339

Definitely not creative commons, and when I tried to get a price it told me that the image was intended for editorial use and commercial use (use in web advertising was the nearest fit I could see) said I had to contact them.

I don't know the laws for sure so I'm not saying we can or can't use something for sure, just saying that it's a consideration and that to use something questionable we'd need pretty solid support that it's fine before using it (i.e. getting permission, or direction from a lawyer).
It's definitely tricky, especially if we are hoping to use iconic imagery. If it's what CP decides to go with, I'm sure someone on here will be able to shed some light on it. I hope so, as I'm always curious about these things. Everything I've worked with so far we've gathered our own images or I worked with a company with large enough pockets they did whatever they do and it just shows up in my Dropbox... I've never really gotten an answer, it's just... done.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #273
FireItUp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Personally I think it looks more like a chat bubble.

Here's one with no city or tower.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #274
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing with that design is if the C was a little shorter and thined out a little bit the inside would look like a hockey stick.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #275
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

No CP inside jokes? No Hookers and Blow themed logo?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #276
FireItUp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Okay here's one more...
Old 08-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #277
photon

Exp:

I like that one too.. way too many good ones!
Old 08-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #278
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

So many great designs. Honestly, if there's no silhouette of Sureloss, it just won't cut the mustard.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #279
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Hey guys,

I am willing to donate one of my small clocks to the winner of the contest. Photon/Bingo - you can PM me if this is something you would like to consider.

Keep the ideas coming guys - looking fwd to seeing the results of this!

Last edited by surferguy; 08-06-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: better wording
surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #280
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I am willing to donate one of my small clocks
Talk about reading this wrong the first time!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post: