Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2015, 11:58 AM   #101
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't think there was room for Byron when they re-signed him. There isn't. Raymond has done nothing to earn a spot. Kind of disappointing but he's done this to himself.

Treliving has some work to do.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #102
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet but...

This bodes well for Treliving as a GM because he has no ego whatsoever attached to previous decisions that he made to fill out a roster. Setoguchi signs...gone after 20 games because he's completely ineffective.

Trades for Drew Shore...gives him a chance to be a player on the NHL team and Shore doesn't take advantage. Puts him on waivers with the risk of losing him even though he traded an asset to get him in the first place.

Signs Raymond to a 3 year deal...starts off first year ok, but gradually becomes the worst player on the team by a fair margin (including call ups). Gives him a chance next training camp to come back ready to contribute...has a poor camp and is put on waivers for the purpose of reassignment.

BT doesn't care at all that some of his moves might not look that great in hindsight. He's all about the present and, to a lesser extent, the future. He puts his ego and public perception aside for the benefit of the team.

So when people eventually call for Treliving to get rid of Engelland or Bollig this year, just know that if BT keeps them, it's because he sees value in what they bring to the table.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 79 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Anduril, apiquard, badger89, bdubbs, BeltlineFan, Benched, Calgary Highlander, Calgary4LIfe, cam_wmh, Clever_Iggy, Coach, codynw, corporatejay, D as in David, devo22, Don Benji, DT77, EldrickOnIce, Enoch Root, Finger Cookin, Fire, Flames Draft Watcher, Flamescuprun2018, flame^thrower, FlatLandFlamesFan, Frank MetaMusil, Gaskal, Gaudreau, getbak, greentree, handgroen, heep223, Huntingwhale, icarus, ignite09, Imported_Aussie, Itse, jaikorven, Jay Random, JayP, Joborule, JoelOtto29, JohnnyTitan, JonDuke, jtfrogger, JurassicTunga12, Komskies, Locke, Loudog, Magnum PEI, midniteowl, Mightyfire89, MolsonInBothHands, Mony, Mustache, N-E-B, N26, nemanja2306, Otto-matic, PaperBagger'14, Phaneufenstein, Poe969, Redliner, Ryan Coke, scottie, SeanCharles, Sheva #7, shogged, Slacker, Split98, Stillman16, SuperMatt18, the2bears, Titan, TomLeeMC, Toonage, tvp2003, wireframe, Zevo
Old 10-05-2015, 12:01 PM   #103
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Didn't think there was room for Byron when they re-signed him. There isn't. Raymond has done nothing to earn a spot. Kind of disappointing but he's done this to himself.

Treliving has some work to do.
I think other than dealing with the goaltending situation, he's done everything he needs to for now. Care to elaborate on what you think he needs to do?
Old 10-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #104
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

There's so much chatter and news I can't keep up with CP for the first time in months! Man I love October. Hockey and football are back, baseball playoffs.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #105
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
I think other than dealing with the goaltending situation, he's done everything he needs to for now. Care to elaborate on what you think he needs to do?
The goaltending, thinning out the fw ranks by two at minimum, it is creating a jam down in the AHL now too. The addition of Freddie Hamilton didn't help.

EDIT: Must trade at least 1 D man too.

Last edited by dammage79; 10-05-2015 at 12:21 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #106
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raymond on waivers outstanding news, this management group is definitely pointing the team in the right direction.
Main change from this time last year to now.
Hamilton, Bennett, Frolik.
Smid, Glencross, Raymond.
Its not even a close comparison.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:11 PM   #107
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
When push comes to shove, who would you rather have? Paul Byron or Micheal Ferland?

Irrelevant!!
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:26 PM   #108
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The goaltending, thinning out the fw ranks by two at minimum, it is creating a jam down in the AHL now too. The addition of Freddie Hamilton didn't help.

EDIT: Must trade at least 1 D man too.
I think competition for ice time in the minors is probably healthy too. If you can't hack the competition at that level, how in the heck are you going to do it at the NHL level?

Plus, you're forgetting about the ECHL as a development place for guys that need to work on some fundamentals. Kulak spent a good chunk of time in that league last year, and now look where he is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #109
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

This bodes well for Treliving as a GM because he has no ego whatsoever attached to previous decisions that he made to fill out a roster. Setoguchi signs...gone after 20 games because he's completely ineffective.

Trades for Drew Shore...gives him a chance to be a player on the NHL team and Shore doesn't take advantage. Puts him on waivers with the risk of losing him even though he traded an asset to get him in the first place.

Signs Raymond to a 3 year deal...starts off first year ok, but gradually becomes the worst player on the team by a fair margin (including call ups). Gives him a chance next training camp to come back ready to contribute...has a poor camp and is put on waivers for the purpose of reassignment.

BT doesn't care at all that some of his moves might not look that great in hindsight. He's all about the present and, to a lesser extent, the future. He puts his ego and public perception aside for the benefit of the team.

So when people eventually call for Treliving to get rid of Engelland or Bollig this year, just know that if BT keeps them, it's because he sees value in what they bring to the table.
quoted for absolute truth

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #110
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed, the goaltending needs to be figured out "soon-ish". Everything else is actually the opposite of a problem, it's a good thing. Tones of competition, the right players in the line up as it sits right now, with a handful of good options, especially up front that can step in and continue to develop as needed.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #111
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just wanted to chime in - I know a lot of you are excited for hockey reasons that Raymond was waived. I did get the chance to meet him at the Stajan's NICU fundraiser last January and he is really an amazingly quality dude. Him and his wife had contributed a couple cool personal gifts to the silent auction and he was shaking hands with everyone and just seemed genuinely interested in making sure everyone was having a good time (which, to be fair, the rest of the team that was there was also doing). Seemed like he fit in well with the team's culture. As much as right now it's probably a good hockey decision, it's a negative from a community perspective to lose a guy like that off the team. Hopefully he finds his game in Stockton and comes back to earn his contract.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to morgin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #112
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Absolutely bang on.

However, I'll say this as well, a lot of that likely has to do with Brian Burke and Ken King.

They've created an atmosphere of acceptance. Mistakes will happen and you wont be crucified for making one as long as you act accordingly and attempt to fix it.

If you take an action but later deem that to have been an error and move to fix it then all is well and I think you have to commend upper management for creating that type of atmosphere.

Unlike the Oilers whose arrogance and egos dictate that there can never even be a question that mistake has ever been made.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #113
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
Just wanted to chime in - I know a lot of you are excited for hockey reasons that Raymond was waived. I did get the chance to meet him at the Stajan's NICU fundraiser last January and he is really an amazingly quality dude. Him and his wife had contributed a couple cool personal gifts to the silent auction and he was shaking hands with everyone and just seemed genuinely interested in making sure everyone was having a good time (which, to be fair, the rest of the team that was there was also doing). Seemed like he fit in well with the team's culture. As much as right now it's probably a good hockey decision, it's a negative from a community perspective to lose a guy like that off the team. Hopefully he finds his game in Stockton and comes back to earn his contract.
Credit where it's due. Not all pro athletes do community stuff willingly.

I'd definitely welcome him back if he proves himself. Fact is though, he has shown time and again that he doesn't belong on the big club.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #114
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
The majority of NHL players are pretty good dudes off the ice in fact I know some guys that swear Kevin Bieksa is a great guy. Fan hate on the internet has got a little over the top to the point of being tasteless at times and I guess the next question is which player on the roster is going to replace him as the whipping boy? Not sure who it is but chances are he will also be a quality guy just trying to make a living playing hockey like Raymond.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #115
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The goaltending is a worry because 3 goalies is not ideal...but the forwards will probably sort themselves out.

Over the course of the season 24 different forwards played a game for the big club last year, the depth is needed. Personally I would rather our young talented players on the farm need to compete, and get to play with, other young talented players. Keeps them sharp and forces them to work hard and learn from each other to develop.

Assuming that the 3 guys assigned today actually go down to the farm team it shakes out as:

Poirier - Granlund - Klimchuk
Agostino - Arnold - Byron
Raymond - Shore - Hathaway
Elson - Grant - Carroll
VanBrabrant - Hamilton - H.Smith

The entire top 9 is made up of guys that I would have no concerns with calling up to play an NHL game, that will only help them all get better. Guys like Lomberg, Heard, and Blair probably end up in the ECHL.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-05-2015 at 12:50 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #116
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Byron's got potential. If it wasn't for his size, I think he would've been a shoe-in. Just happy Raymond is on waiver and hopes he will be claimed by another team.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #117
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Absolutely bang on.

However, I'll say this as well, a lot of that likely has to do with Brian Burke and Ken King.

They've created an atmosphere of acceptance. Mistakes will happen and you wont be crucified for making one as long as you act accordingly and attempt to fix it.

If you take an action but later deem that to have been an error and move to fix it then all is well and I think you have to commend upper management for creating that type of atmosphere.

Unlike the Oilers whose arrogance and egos dictate that there can never even be a question that mistake has ever been made.
This franchise started to turn it around the day Burke insulated himself and hockey operations from the rest of the organization.

Tubby McBlowhard jokes are still funny, but the only thing more significant than the culture change of the Franchise off the ice has been the culture change on the ice.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #118
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I expect Arnold will be coming up shortly... Its a contract year for him, He never got a shot in preseason thanks to Gio and he's Johnny's buddy... That's my guess
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:07 PM   #119
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great post, Cali.

Disappointed to see Byron waived - love the guy's compete level and I think he provides a huge spark for the team when he plays. However, the bottom line is that the team needs to get bigger and as Resolute said, Ferland essentially took his spot.

As for Raymond, good guy but he simply didn't earn a spot. It can be a cruel business at times, but they get well compensated for that.

My guess is that Smid is very close and they don't want to put him on IR. So they waived these two instead.

Granlund - sitting in first call-up position, I would think. And the fact is that he will get more ice-time in Stockton (and creates more room here) by going down for now.

Ortio: the fact that he wasn't put on waivers speaks volumes. If he plays well, he is here to stay and they will find a solution with one of the other two (I still think Hiller is the odd man out). If on the other hand, Ortio struggles, waiving him after that fact shouldn't be a concern.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:24 PM   #120
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For one thing, putting Raymond on waivers doesn't accomplish anything. At this time tomorrow, him and his cap hit are still part of the team. And he just became that much harder to trade.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote