Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2019, 07:00 AM   #41
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I left satisfied, very well done considering they are wrapping up a massive story that fans are so invested in.

I didn't like the kiss, there was never any sort of sexual tension between the two, it would have been enough that she saw he had redeemed himself.

Did Finn ever say what he wanted to say to Rey?

The last Lando scene was a tad overboard given the #metoo movement, maybe that's a bit snowflake of me to say and I'm reading into it.

The Lightsabers and space stuff was outstanding though!
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #42
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
No, but I think they hinted at what it was going to be.

I think they wanted everyone to think he was going to say he loved her, but I don’t think that was it, I think he was going to tell her that he’s force sensitive too.

Because it’s only after that scene that he starts to truly lean into having force sensitivity for the rest of the movie.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:53 AM   #43
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post

Below are some points of confusion I had if anyone can help me out

- That badge that Poe was given by the girl in the Daft Punk helmet did he do anything with that and if not what was the point of it?
- Still unsure how Chewbacca wasn't blown to pieces in that explosion.
- When the Emperor caused all systems to go down inside the resistance aircrafts I expected them to lose all power and crash and this never happened. I'm not sure why.
- They use it to get past the shields and land on Kylo’s star destroyer when they go to rescue Chewy and steal the dagger

- There were two transport ships, but then only the second is leaving. So kind of a slight of hand where we assumed Chewy was on that ship

- They were in free fall while the lightning storm occurred, then Rey stood up with the Sabre and the empire shifted his focus to her. They cut back to Poe at that point who said “We’re back online now, light em up”. So once the emperor stopped they were fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2019, 08:06 AM   #44
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I left satisfied, very well done considering they are wrapping up a massive story that fans are so invested in.

I didn't like the kiss, there was never any sort of sexual tension between the two, it would have been enough that she saw he had redeemed himself.

The last Lando scene was a tad overboard given the #metoo movement, maybe that's a bit snowflake of me to say and I'm reading into it.

The Lightsabers and space stuff was outstanding though!
The whole kiss thing was strange. What's with Rey saying she liked Ben before he turned. What am I missing? She never knew Ben did she?
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #45
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks for turning yourself to the light side, here's your kiss?

Better not to die without a good smooching?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:28 AM   #46
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I absolutely loved it. Thought it was great.

Three things though:
  • Why didn't Rey heal Poe after he got shot?? She healed everyone else who required a medic. What a bitch.
  • I felt they could have slowed down the action a bit and focused more on the stories. In typical J.J. Abrams style, this was action from start to finish, and I'm not sure it needed to be THAT wild from start to finish. There was an emotional side of the stories they could have explored more, akin to Epidsodes 4-6.
  • Who the #### are Rey's parents / Palpatine's son or daughter? I smell a spin-off movie...

Also, Rose got friendzoned lol
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #47
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
- They use it to get past the shields and land on Kylo’s star destroyer when they go to rescue Chewy and steal the dagger

- There were two transport ships, but then only the second is leaving. So kind of a slight of hand where we assumed Chewy was on that ship

- They were in free fall while the lightning storm occurred, then Rey stood up with the Sabre and the empire shifted his focus to her. They cut back to Poe at that point who said “We’re back online now, light em up”. So once the emperor stopped they were fine.
Thank you. The first two make sense for sure. I felt like there was way more than enough lightning storm to make all those aircrafts crash to the ground.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #48
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I absolutely loved it. Thought it was great.

• Why didn't Rey heal Poe after he got shot?? She healed everyone else who required a medic. What a bitch.
Yeah the whole healing thing was a bit overused to me in the movie too.

I think that it shouldn't have been used until the end and it would have had more impact.

Couple of changes

- Instead of healing the Rancor she should have talked it into moving with the Force. If the Force surrounds all things then Rey should have been able to Jedi Mind trick the Rancor too - would have been cool since we've never seen it used like that before

- During the Rey / Kylo fight I don't think Rey needs to stab him and heal him. They can probably just have Kylo and Rey both collapse and stop fighting when they feel Leia's force disturbance

Then when it's used at the end of the movie it feels like it was something they only realized could be done now that Palpatine had introduced it and healed himself.

Opposed to something that all the other Jedi's had just decided wasn't important to use prior to this movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Thank you. The first two make sense for sure. I felt like there was way more than enough lightning storm to make all those aircrafts crash to the ground.
Agree that they still should have had a couple that failed to pull up and should have crashed into ground.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 12-20-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #49
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Return of the Jedi ending:
Emperor dies
Vader turns good and dies
A bunch of people party with Ewoks
Han and Lei kiss

Rise of Skywalker ending:
Emperor dies
Kylo turns good and dies
A bunch of people party with Ewoks
Lesbians kiss

Nothing changes

A new series for a new generation I suppose, but between the mega planet death star in Force Awakens and the regurgitated formula in this one, I'm done with Star Wars.

Finn. Completely useless character. Just a bunch of shots of him reacting to things exploding.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:16 PM   #50
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Saw it last night....There was a lot going on. I felt like the pacing of the movie was very quick. Basically, something crazy and big happening constantly. I'd really like to rewatch it to digest it all. For example, in the first part of the film...you had Kilo Ren battling..then Palpatine coming back, then Chewie was dead...then he was alive....then Leah was training Rey.

The movie was very melo-drama focused too. Not sure how I feel about this whole healing power and transferring of life essence back and forth. That really added to the melo-drama, but that was overdone IMO.

I really don't think it s&^* on TLJ as much as people are stating it did. It incorporated a lot of TLJ into its plot. The drama aspects between Rey and Kylo, which was the main plot point of this movie, were carried directly over.

Anyways I need to re-watch it before making any kind of major conclusions on whether I liked it. So much going on.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:32 PM   #51
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nm.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #52
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I really don't think it s&^* on TLJ as much as people are stating it did. It incorporated a lot of TLJ into its plot. The drama aspects between Rey and Kylo, which was the main plot point of this movie, were carried directly over.
This was my take too - the only direct shot at TLJ was on the Light Speed suicide attack being a 1 in a million shot.

Outside of that though I thought it supported the TLJ really well and pretty much all the character arcs, and character growth, of the main characters directly carried over into this one.

I guess it also depends on if you truly thought if they were going to have Rey's lineage be truly random or if that was the red herring to set up the "twist" in this one.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #53
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
This was my take too - the only direct shot at TLJ was on the Light Speed suicide attack being a 1 in a million shot.

Outside of that though I thought it supported the TLJ really well and pretty much all the character arcs, and character growth, of the main characters directly carried over into this one.

I guess it also depends on if you truly thought if they were going to have Rey's lineage be truly random or if that was the red herring to set up the "twist" in this one.
Disney tried to distance themselves somewhat from the TLJ. However, looking back on it, I wonder how many of the more controversial points in the TLJ were put in purposely to misdirect for planned twists in the RoS. It may have always been the plan to have Snoke and Rey's story line directly tie into Palpatine, and the "twists" in TLJ were just meant to distract from that.

I would have like more of an explanation about how Palpatine survived and what he did since RotJ. Maybe we'll get that in an expanded accompaniment.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #54
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got to see it for free so I went and saw it today.

I honestly thought it was boring. Humor fell flat, no consequences to any sacrifices, everyone just comes back from "the dead", repeat of the story again, action for the sake of action. Planet killing lasers for everyone, god mode emperor. Predictable to the point of trope. Even Lando being the mysterious saviour at Burning Man felt predictable.

Rey and Kylo continued to be the emotional heart of this trilogy and their scenes together were always miles ahead of everything else. Their lightsaber battle at the wreckage of the Death Star was fantastic and probably the best lightsaber battle since the Throne Room in ROTJ. It's a shame that they can't just rework this entire thing with a greater focus on their relationship. I cared about those characters, I didn't at all about the rest. Ian McDiarmid is always good as the Emperor as well.

Rian Johnson really totally ####ed this trilogy up, but in the end I don't think it was going to be really interesting either way.

This movie was clearly structurally better than TLJ. It had a coherent story arc, and a clear A plot and B plot. It's just that the story wasn't good.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #55
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Disney tried to distance themselves somewhat from the TLJ. However, looking back on it, I wonder how many of the more controversial points in the TLJ were put in purposely to misdirect for planned twists in the RoS. It may have always been the plan to have Snoke and Rey's story line directly tie into Palpatine, and the "twists" in TLJ were just meant to distract from that.

I would have like more of an explanation about how Palpatine survived and what he did since RotJ. Maybe we'll get that in an expanded accompaniment.
That is what I feel too. My theory is all the character arcs were mapped out for the movies, but maybe each director had the ability to kind of drive their own plots.

Which is why the character arcs seem connected across all three, but the plot is a bit hit and miss.

Rey being a Palpatine was hinted from TFA, and was a little bit in TLJ too (I swear force lighting shot out of her at one point in that movie but need to watch it again).

As for what Palpatine did I think the assumption is he spent 40 years building that ridiculous fleet.

Luke thought he needed to kill the past and let the "Jedi Die" but by the end of the movie he had realized he was wrong, and that his fear was driving that feeling. They even called it out "A Jedi's fate is to embrace their fear".

Luke then realized that he needed to confront his past failures (Kylo) to try and turn the battle. TLJ and TROS actually follow the same path here.

Luke says to Kylo "Strike me down in fear and anger and I'll live with you forever". Which ends up happening, and you could say is the "spark" to Kylo's redemption.

Then on the flip side Palpatine tries to get Rey to do the same thing. "Strike me down here and the lives of all the Sith before you will flow through you". She refuses and it's how she stays to the light.

And for Kylo it was the same thing. He thought he needed to kill the past, kill "Ben Solo" to become who he was meant to be. But that wasn't true. He needed to embrace his dad and mom (his past) to be able to redeem himself.

I honestly think people will like TLJ, it's plot (although a bit messy and slow in the middle 30-40 minutes still), and the overall arc of this whole trilogy when they watch them all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Rey and Kylo continued to be the emotional heart of this trilogy and their scenes together were always miles ahead of everything else. Their lightsaber battle at the wreckage of the Death Star was fantastic and probably the best lightsaber battle since the Throne Room in ROTJ. It's a shame that they can't just rework this entire thing with a greater focus on their relationship. I cared about those characters, I didn't at all about the rest. Ian McDiarmid is always good as the Emperor as well.

Rian Johnson really totally ####ed this trilogy up, but in the end I don't think it was going to be really interesting either way.
These two statements are a bit of a contradiction to me.

Rian Johnson ####ed up this trilogy??? TLJ was the movie that truly explored the relationship between Rey and Kylo which to your point was the emotional heart of this trilogy.

It's TLJ revealing why Kylo turned to the darkside, exploring his relationship with Rey/Luke, and revealing the conflict inside of him, that makes him a redeemable figure in this movie.

I like TFA and TROS because they were both fun movies, full of call backs and fan service. But they really didn't take any time for moments to breathe or to inject a lot of character development (I guess Poe got a bit more of a backstory in this one).

TLJ plot was slower and more plodding, but it's also the only one of the three that really took the time to slow down the pace of the movie to dive into the characters, develop them, and understand their motives.

In the end even though maybe TLJ doesn't feel as much as "Star Wars" as the other movies due to it not having as much direct fan service and nostalgia, the whole trilogy really does tie together and work in large part due to the character development from that movie.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 12-20-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:06 PM   #56
bugsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Really enjoyed it. Big dumb space wizard movie. Not too much to ask for :P

Thoroughly bought the Palpatine/Rey lineage. Worked perfectly for me and gives the whole big thing another nice connective strand. Ian McDiarmid, what a star.

Did wonder about.... Who was Kylo murdering at the start? Just a group of dudes who were in the way of the holocron beacon device thing?
bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #57
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Rian Johnson ####ed up this trilogy??? TLJ was the movie that truly explored the relationship between Rey and Kylo which to your point was the emotional heart of this trilogy.

It's TLJ revealing why Kylo turned to the darkside, exploring his relationship with Rey/Luke, and revealing the conflict inside of him, that makes him a redeemable figure in this movie.

I like TFA and TROS because they were both fun movies, full of call backs and fan service. But they really didn't take any time for moments to breathe or to inject a lot of character development (I guess Poe got a bit more of a backstory in this one).

TLJ plot was slower and more plodding, but it's also the only one of the three that really took the time to slow down the pace of the movie to dive into the characters, develop them, and understand their motives.

In the end even though maybe TLJ doesn't feel as much as "Star Wars" as the other movies due to it not having as much direct fan service and nostalgia, the whole trilogy really does tie together and work in large part due to the character development from that movie.
I don't even really care if TLJ felt the least like a Star Wars movie, it was just a bad movie. It's was a structural ####ing mess with large sections of irrelevant plot and really bad attempts at shocking an audience. He can release a trilogy breaking movie and still have positive components however. It's not contradictory because it's not an on/off switch of all good/all bad.

In fairness to him though, if the plan in the first place was for Snoke to be a big bad essentially in place of the Emperor, it was going to be a weak trilogy anyway. It could have just been done without him aiming for subversive over story. Because he sure did that.

In the end, what this comes down to is Disney not having a plan. Marvel movies may be generic action repeats, but at least there was an overall plan. This was just a cynical, directionless cash grab, and it worked. So it'll just keep happening.

Last edited by nik-; 12-20-2019 at 02:14 PM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #58
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
That is what I feel too. My theory is all the character arcs were mapped out for the movies, but maybe each director had the ability to kind of drive their own plots.

Which is why the character arcs seem connected across all three, but the plot is a bit hit and miss.

Rey being a Palpatine was hinted from TFA, and was a little bit in TLJ too (I swear force lighting shot out of her at one point in that movie but need to watch it again).

As for what Palpatine did I think the assumption is he spent 40 years building that ridiculous fleet.

Luke thought he needed to kill the past and let the "Jedi Die" but by the end of the movie he had realized he was wrong, and that his fear was driving that feeling. They even called it out "A Jedi's fate is to embrace their fear".

Luke then realized that he needed to confront his past failures (Kylo) to try and turn the battle. TLJ and TROS actually follow the same path here.

Luke says to Kylo "Strike me down in fear and anger and I'll live with you forever". Which ends up happening, and you could say is the "spark" to Kylo's redemption.

Then on the flip side Palpatine tries to get Rey to do the same thing. "Strike me down here and the lives of all the Sith before you will flow through you". She refuses and it's how she stays to the light.

And for Kylo it was the same thing. He thought he needed to kill the past, kill "Ben Solo" to become who he was meant to be. But that wasn't true. He needed to embrace his dad and mom (his past) to be able to redeem himself.

I honestly think people will like TLJ, it's plot (although a bit messy and slow in the middle 30-40 minutes still), and the overall arc of this whole trilogy when they watch them all together.

TLJ was still just a bad film IMO, despite being tied to Palpatine.

The star chase, the hyperspeed ramming, the awful humour, the ridiculous bombers, Rose, Luke's bizarre behaviour, bumbling first order officers, etc... remain horrible and totally out of place in the context of the other movies. It was always Johnson's execution of the plot points that really bothered me. Even if the plan was always to explain Rey and Snoke in the last movie, TLJ way of getting there is 2 hours of garbage. The final film puts about 10 minutes of TLJ into better context though.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #59
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I read all the spoilers a couple days ago on Reddit. I’m talking the full plot synopsis. I only skimmed it and got all the major beats. Palpatine, Rey, Lando, Death Star powered star destroyers etc. And I ####ing hated it. I was laughing at how dumb it sounded.

I just left the theatre and I absolutely loved it. Ya there’s some gaping plot holes but I don’t care. I blame it mostly on Rian Johnson. I now dislike TLJ I think. The only relevant part in the whole movie are the Rey/REN/Luke parts. And the end when no one comes to help the resistance. The rest was a waste of time.

JJ saved Star Wars. I was fully prepared to walk out and hate this franchise. Now I love it again.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #60
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can tell by my post count that it's Dec. 20th and a very slow day at work today.

I was trying to think about what parts from The Last Jedi that JJ tried to keep in Rise of Skywalker vs what was retconned.

Kept:

- Rey/Kylo relationship and the inner conflict of Kylo (strongest part of the trilogy IMO )
- Luke's Redemption Arc, Returning to the Jedi, and the Force
- Poe becoming more of a leader and being groomed for that role by Leia
- Finn fully committing to the resistance and being willing to make the sacrifice play
- The "Anyone can be a Jedi" theme with Finn (and potentially other rebellion stormtroopers) being Force Sensitive

Reconned/Shelved:

- Idea of Grey in the galaxy and it being as not as clear as good vs. evil (Although in retrospect that was also just part of Finn's arc because after that he fully committed to the good and being part of the rebellion)
- Rose was shelved and her role minimized (Better for the movie but I do feel bad for the actress who dealt with a lot of #### that now seems like it was validated)
- Being able to hyperspeed ram a whole fleet (also returned to the traditional Star Wars fleet of space craft)

Unclear:

-Might have been the plan all along for Palpatine to be the big bad behind Snoke / Rey's Grandfather all along (considering this was hinted in TFA and TLJ makes me think it was always planned)

Lots of credit to JJ though. He was in a tough spot with the fan base and with the sour taste that TLJ had left in some peoples mouths and I think he was able to land it pretty nicely actually. Kept the good, tried to get rid of most of the bad, and incorporated the fan service people wanted (the kiss being the only major miss IMO).

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 12-20-2019 at 02:51 PM.