Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2024, 06:32 PM   #521
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

It makes no sense. You could be the top team and end up playing the second best team in the second round if they happen to be in your division. I’m shocked that this isn’t a bigger deal
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 06:41 PM   #522
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Colorado should have been a 4 seed taking the Oilers to the wood shed in this series.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 06:47 PM   #523
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s supposed to drive in division rivalry with the express intent of raising attendance. I’d argue that it’s not serving its purpose any more. Attendance during playoffs is already high with sellouts everywhere except Edmonton. The following regular season is already regional.

I’d much rather keep interest high in the run in and generate new rivalries especially across divisions. And get much closer to best on best throughout the playoffs.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:33 PM   #524
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
And some people still think the best player in the world is an Oiler
Right...

Man, Makar hands down turns the Flames around faster than anyone else in the league. What a player. My definition of a star player is the guy that controls the pace of the game. Only one guy does that right now.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 11:29 PM   #525
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makar needs to come home in 2 years.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 01:23 AM   #526
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Makar needs to come home in 2 years.
3 years left on his contract and will be 28 years old, his UFA contract will be epic.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 01:29 AM   #527
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
3 years left on his contract and will be 28 years old, his UFA contract will be epic.
worth it
Old 04-29-2024, 06:18 AM   #528
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makar signs an extension a year out I bet.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 09:01 AM   #529
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup. 3 years left, Avs begin to speak to him about extension in the last year. Makar's agent will come out and say that they do not want to talk about an extension during the year as it's a distraction, so they have behind the scenes conversations in the summer, but nothing gets done. Avs decide it's a risk that they lose Cale for nothing if they wait until the offseason and so ask him if there's any specific team he'd be willing to move to and extend with. He ends up being a Flame around that season's all star break and extends with his hometown team shortly after the trade (sign and trade is facilitated by the Avs for the Flames to get 8-years).
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 10:02 AM   #530
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1784740413682716742
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 10:26 AM   #531
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colorado is going for the cup, if Winnipeg and Hellebuyck can't stop them they're probably going to pass through Edmonton like wet toilet paper.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 12:02 PM   #532
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I forgot that the Avs are missing Drouin as well he had 56 points. 4th on the team.

Just ridiculous.

When was the last time a team had the best players at their position on the same team. Mackinnon is the best center in the the league, and Makar is the best defenceman in the league.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 12:05 PM   #533
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
this is Mackinnon's 81st playoff game. He has 46G 60A 106pts and counting.
Those would be great regular season numbers, never mind playoffs.

Makar's 65th playoff game. 18G 55A 73 pts

crazy
Don't forget they have cup as well.

But that doesn't matter its all about McDavid and Crysaddle. Look at how many points they have. Almost all of their points have come against the Flames/Kings in the playoffs.
Old 04-29-2024, 12:06 PM   #534
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I forgot that the Avs are missing Drouin as well he had 56 points. 4th on the team.

Just ridiculous.

When was the last time a team had the best players at their position on the same team. Mackinnon is the best center in the the league, and Makar is the best defenceman in the league.
Maybe Kucherov and Hedman at some point in the last 5 years...probably the closest.

But best Center and best Dman in the league...

McDavid...nope
Crosby...nope
Lemieux...don't think so
Gretzky...only if you consider Coffey the best dman in the league at the time as they were the only guys to win Hart and Norris for the same team in the same season since 1980.

In terms of in the last 30 years it might only be the Red Wings teams...were Fedorov/Yzerman + Lindstrom the closest to best center in the league + best dman.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 04-29-2024 at 12:13 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 12:19 PM   #535
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Maybe Kucherov and Hedman at some point in the last 5 years...probably the closest.

But best Center and best Dman in the league...

McDavid...nope
Crosby...nope
Lemieux...don't think so
Gretzky...only if you consider Coffey the best dman in the league at the time as they were the only guys to win Hart and Norris for the same team in the same season since 1980.

In terms of in the last 30 years it might only be the Red Wings teams...were Fedorov/Yzerman + Lindstrom the closest to best center in the league + best dman.
Yeah maybe Yzerman and Lidstrom, but at that time Yzerman started to become a more defensive player.

Having the 2 best players at the 2 most important positions is rare.

That is why the Colorado model is one you cannot duplicate outside of building a team with speed.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:35 AM   #536
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's game day

White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:52 AM   #537
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Likely last game of the series. Colorado has found their playoff gear and look like they could win the Cup at this point. Unfortunate for Winnipeg.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 10:03 AM   #538
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Likely last game of the series. Colorado has found their playoff gear and look like they could win the Cup at this point. Unfortunate for Winnipeg.
Who knows. Agree Winnipeg is done. To me almost no chance at winning even one with the guys out and the style of play Colorado has. But I do remember a few years ago when Dallas outmuscled and out skated us they looked unbeatable. Then I forgot who they went up against and with that style they got beaten in seemingly in an unimaginable fashion. It really comes down to matchups and styles of play. I could see Vegas beating them based on rolling four continuous relentless lines and doing some damage. Dallas to me looks like another Winnipeg. Edmonton would lose four straight with that defence and goaltending, to the Avs. It really comes to down to either Vegas wearing them down or New York trying to lock them down with bigger defencemen. But they’re looking like the strongest team by far.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 10:10 AM   #539
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe that the cup this year goes to either Colorado or Vegas. The Georgiev factor is too high for my liking. Vegas edges them out I think because of that, but if Georgiev can just be competent (no ugly goals) against Vegas, then I think Colorado goes through Vegas.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 10:15 AM   #540
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Who knows. Agree Winnipeg is done. To me almost no chance at winning even one with the guys out and the style of play Colorado has. But I do remember a few years ago when Dallas outmuscled and out skated us they looked unbeatable. Then I forgot who they went up against and with that style they got beaten in seemingly in an unimaginable fashion. It really comes down to matchups and styles of play. I could see Vegas beating them based on rolling four continuous relentless lines and doing some damage. Dallas to me looks like another Winnipeg. Edmonton would lose four straight with that defence and goaltending, to the Avs. It really comes to down to either Vegas wearing them down or New York trying to lock them down with bigger defencemen. But they’re looking like the strongest team by far.
Dallas beat us in the bubble and went to the Finals.

Did you mean Colorado? They beat us in 5, and the series flipped after Makar arrived in game 2. It was actually close and Frolik shooting it into the glove in OT in game 2 still haunts me.

Anyways they went on and lost to San Jose in 7 games. They lost in 7 to Dallas in the bubble. They lost to Vegas the year after and thats when Mackinnon did that I am sick of losing, and they went beast mode after that and won the cup.