Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2017, 12:16 AM   #141
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

seems more and more likely he's gonna say #### you to the Flames.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:45 AM   #142
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Can't begrudge the guy for finishing out his academic commitments. He's a man of his word?

He'll sign in the off-season. Get the sense a deal is in place.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:37 AM   #143
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

If he's not confident that he can't outplay Kulak and Wotherspoon then it may not be a giant loss.

Hopefully it's just logistics causing the delay and nothing about that.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #144
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Wait, did Hickey actually say that he's going back for his 4th year? Or are people reacting to the coaches comments?

Coach - "Talking at length on Wednesday in his Agganis Arena office, Quinn said that he fully expects junior defensemen John MacLeod (Tampa Bay Lightning) and Brandon Hickey (Calgary Flames) to be back, and the same goes for sophomore forwards Jordan Greenway (Minnesota Wild) and Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson (Boston Bruins).

Meanwhile, he said that freshman defenseman Dante Fabbro (Nashville Predators) and freshman forward Kieffer Bellows (New York Islanders) will also be around for the 2017-18 campaign.
"

While he did say that he expects them to be back, what else could he say? Until they sign contracts with their teams, he has to expect that they return. He certainly couldn't speculate to the media that they'll be signing contracts, prior to them having deals done with their clubs.

He later hinted that while the players want to be back, the possibility is real that they may choose to go pro:

"“If anybody else leaves it’s because somebody really pushed hard and painted a scenario where it’s, ‘Wow, it’s going to be hard for me to pass that up.’ It’s not because guys want to leave.”

I feel like Hickey will be signed in the next week or two, otherwise Treliving never would have hinted at it.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #145
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Wait, did Hickey actually say that he's going back for his 4th year? Or are people reacting to the coaches comments?
I don't believe any comment was made from Hickey or the Flames.

Last edited by flambers; 04-03-2017 at 11:24 AM.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #146
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post

Coach - "[i]Talking at length on Wednesday in his Agganis Arena office, Quinn said that he fully expects junior defensemen John MacLeod (Tampa Bay Lightning) and Brandon Hickey (Calgary Flames) to be back, and the same goes for sophomore forwards Jordan Greenway (Minnesota Wild) and Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson (Boston Bruins).
JFK also signed with the Bruins yesterday despite the quote above.

Imagine that, a guy named JFK playing for the Bruins.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:30 AM   #147
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
seems more and more likely he's gonna say #### you to the Flames.
Doesn't seem like that at all. It's all in your head bro
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #148
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Its kind of funny how this fear crops every year at this time. Gaudreau isn't going to sign, Jankowski isn't going to sign, etc.

Last edited by Toonage; 04-03-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 12:03 PM   #149
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
You think the Flames are the worst team in the NHL at giving opportunity to young defensemen? I don't know about that. Which young defenseman hasn't been given a good shot? Guys like Wotherspoon and Kulak played in the NHL and werent exactly blue chippers.
Name some more. Not many other defensemen come to mind back to Brodie. Maybe part of it is poor drafting, maybe poor development but if you are a young junior defenseman Calgary doesn't look like a place that's churning out young NHL defensemen.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #150
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Name some more. Not many other defensemen come to mind back to Brodie. Maybe part of it is poor drafting, maybe poor development but if you are a young junior defenseman Calgary doesn't look like a place that's churning out young NHL defensemen.
Kulak has played 30 NHL games. Spoon has played 30 NHL games. They're meh players. Matt Bartkowski is a better NHL defender than either of them. That's why he's played 232 NHL games.

The last guy we 'didn't give a chance to' who burned us was Stralman. Send your hate mail to Viking.

Here are the defensemen we've drafted post-Brodie:

Alexander Deilert - 2008, rd 7 198th - sucks
Tom Erixon - 2009 Rd 1 23rd - SUCKS
Joey Leach - 2010 Rd 3 73rd - wasn't even offered a contract, but did win a Conn Smythe his rookie season with Chicagoh wait no he didn't, he sucks too
John Ramage - 2010 Rd 4 103rd - sucks
Spoon - 2011 Rd 2 57th - sucks at hockey and Twitter
Sieloff - 2012 Rd 2 42nd - sucks at being a teammate
Kulak - 2012 Rd 5 105th - meh
Culkin - 2012 Rd 5 124th - a clone of meh
Kanzig - 2013 Rd 3 67th - sucks
Eric Roy (Remember him?) - 2013 Rd 5 135th - sucks
Rushan Rafikov - 2013 Rd 7 187th - sucks
John Gilmour - 2013 Rd 7 198th - sucks
Hickey - 2014 Rd 3 64th - jury's out
Ollas Mattsson - 2014 Rd 6 175th - jury's out
Rasmus - 2015 Rd 2 53rd - jury's out
Kylington - 2015 Rd 2 60th - jury's out
Fox - 2016 Rd 3 66th - jury's out
Falkovsky - 2016 Rd 7 186th - jury's out

Who on this list 'hasn't been given a chance'? Is Alex Deilert the most under the radar Norris candidate ever? Rafikov's still sorting out visa issues, which I guess means he doesn't have a passport? Ollas Mattsson was just signed to an ATO with the Heat, but maybe he should replace Engelland in Round 1?

Most of the defensemen taken in the later rounds just actually aren't that good. That's not a Flames thing, that's a hockey thing.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 04-03-2017 at 12:24 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 12:11 PM   #151
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I was a young FA D-man confident in my abilities I'd be looking for an opportunity in Anaheim. That place is like a defenseman factory. It's ridiculous, and as a divisional rival also very irritating.

Smid
Gardiner
Schultz (although early ruined by the oilers)
Vatanen
Fowler
Manson
Lindholm
Theodore

Plus Montour, Megna Welenski and Pettersson all are looking like good prospects.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:15 PM   #152
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'd say it's a combo of poor drafting and development, but mostly drafting.

I'd be more worried if some of the guys getting cut loose were finding a decent foothold elsewhere, but they're not.

Guys like Negrin, Aulie, Leach, Erixon, Roy, Breen and Ramage haven't done squat after moving on from the Flames.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 12:15 PM   #153
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Kulak has played 30 NHL games. Spoon has played 30 NHL games. They're meh players. Matt Bartkowski is a better NHL defender than either of them. That's why he's played 232 NHL games.

The last guy we 'didn't give a chance to' who burned us was Stralman. Send your hate mail to Viking.
That's why I mentioned poor drafting and development in my post. The organization hasn't really produced many good defensemen over the past decade. Even if Tim Erixon signed with the Flames he probably isn't much better than he has been to date in the NHL. Either way I'm not sure it's an attractive place for young blue liners.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #154
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If I was a young FA D-man confident in my abilities I'd be looking for an opportunity in Anaheim. That place is like a defenseman factory. It's ridiculous, and as a divisional rival also very irritating.

Smid
Gardiner
Vatanen
Fowler
Manson
Lindholm
Theodore

Plus Montour, Megna Welenski and Pettersson all are looking like good prospects.
Seriously the Flames need to find a way to poach some of the Ducks scouts. I'm not sure how they keep finding all these defensemen but it's past the point of pure luck.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #155
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Smid
Gardiner
Vatanen
Fowler
Manson
Lindholm
Theodore

Smid - 9th overall
Gardiner - 17th overall
Vatanen - 106th overall
Fowler - 12th overall
Manson - 160th overall
Lindholm - 6th overall
Theodore -26th overall

Five of those guys are first round picks. The Ducks know D. Brad seems to have a pretty good handle on them as well.

Opportunity is not an excuse I'd use for Hickey not wanting to sign here - if anything, he may want to go home and play with the Something Specials
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #156
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

If the Flames indeed were guilty of not giving young dmen enough opportunity, would the best evidence of this not be seeing those D moving on to become productive NHLers elsewhere? Absent that I'm not sure it is something backed by much evidence.
I agree with those that maintain guys have been given opportunity and just haven't grabbed - likely because they simply aren't good enough. And part of that simply is they haven't drafted many dmen high.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #157
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
If the Flames indeed were guilty of not giving young dmen enough opportunity, would the best evidence of this not be seeing those D moving on to become productive NHLers elsewhere? Absent that I'm not sure it is something backed by much evidence.
I agree with those that maintain guys have been given opportunity and just haven't grabbed - likely because they simply aren't good enough. And part of that simply is they haven't drafted many dmen high.
I agree with this. Now I suppose, could a prospect look at the Flames and believe they don't know how to develop young defensemen? I suppose that's a possibility, which is different than not giving them a chance. But man, with the total lack of depth at the NHL level going into next year, I'd like to think a young confident dman sees nothing but opportunity.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2017, 07:48 AM   #158
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is turning into a Ken King soon time frame.
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #159
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

All I'd add to this drafting and developing discussion is timeframe. The "Flames" are thrown around alot, and people go back to guys like Keith Aulie, etc, but the clock really starts with Trevling drafts and the development that he has in place.

Lets see how Rasmus Andersson and Oliver Kylington develop, as they are both top two round picks and in the system.

Then you have a better grip on how they develop young talent.

That's why his RFA cut line was so harsh last summer, and likely will be this summer again. The clock started three years ago, but you can't everyone out in one summer.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #160
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Id be okay to use the trading model, use a D prospect as an add in to upgrade at wing.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote