Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 07:40 AM   #1881
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Or, I dunno, if you're getting a star player back? If it costs someone who might be a star for someone who is, that may just be the price of poker.

I agree. Bennett is seriously getting overrated now. He is young and has potential but there is no way he should be untouchable if the right deal comes along. Especially if the Flames get a star player back who makes sense because this whole "Bennett only gets traded for a massive overpayment" is only what Flames fans think. Not necessarily the rest of the league.
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 07:44 AM   #1882
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I agree. Bennett is seriously getting overrated now. He is young and has potential but there is no way he should be untouchable if the right deal comes along. Especially if the Flames get a star player back who makes sense because this whole "Bennett only gets traded for a massive overpayment" is only what Flames fans think. Not necessarily the rest of the league.
Bennett is being severely underrated by an entire group of impatient fans on CP.

You don't trade centres drafted in the top 5. You take time and develop them because those are foundational pieces. This is Sam Bennett's 2nd pro year, and if you don't have the patience for a 2nd year player to go through some growing pains - were you one of the people who wanted the era of building through free agency to end? If you were, this is part of that. If not, well - I guess you were happy with not being a playoff team.

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-21-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:53 AM   #1883
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Friedman on 960 said he wouldn't be surprised if Treliving isn't done yet. (ie: buying)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 08:16 AM   #1884
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Because a forward who is supposedly going to help scoring should easily be out-scoring our defensemen?

Outside of the feel good story, which probably isn't much of a feel good story anymore, and would probably become more of a distraction, there is no reason to bring back Iginla. None. He does not fill a need on this hockey club in any shape or form.
If he can produce better than Alex Chiasson on the Gaudreau line then I'd argue he fills a need. If Iggy has a bit of gas left in the tank he could possibly do a job for us. Provided the cost is minimal & better options are exhausted of course (I'd love to see Treliving get ahold of Mark Stone, now that we've gotten his brother in town... )

Thing is, Iggy wants that elusive cup ring so I doubt he's that interested in coming back anyway.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:27 AM   #1885
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
If he can produce better than Alex Chiasson on the Gaudreau line then I'd argue he fills a need.
But he can't. Iginla has three (3) even-strength goals so far this season.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #1886
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Friedman on 960 said he wouldn't be surprised if Treliving isn't done yet. (ie: buying)
Stone deal was impressive. A similar deal for Parenteau would be great.

For balance of season, goalies seem to be taking care of themselves. BE is playing better, CJ has been a great #2.
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #1887
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

haha Molberg going off on texters suggesting he should ask Treliving about trading Wideman... said Treliving couldn't trade Wideman to Wideman's mom right now.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 08:50 AM   #1888
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
If he can produce better than Alex Chiasson on the Gaudreau line then I'd argue he fills a need. If Iggy has a bit of gas left in the tank he could possibly do a job for us. Provided the cost is minimal & better options are exhausted of course (I'd love to see Treliving get ahold of Mark Stone, now that we've gotten his brother in town... )

Thing is, Iggy wants that elusive cup ring so I doubt he's that interested in coming back anyway.
So Iginla gets better ice time, more PP time, and still can't score, but he's the answer to our top line problem. You honestly think that Iginla can play the same role as Alex Chaisson? His role would be to get in the dirty areas and dig out pucks, go to the front of the net, and score gritty points. That would be his job in Gulutzan's system. Do you honestly believe that Iginla would play that game? Or do you think he would do what he has done every where he's played in the past decade and just play the game he wants to play? Iginla is not the player people remember. He is a floater, a half wall player, and a guy who just doesn't have the ability to score any more. Stop thinking you're getting a guy that can still play. You're getting a player on the same level as Blake Comeau.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #1889
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I agree.

If the return is good, there is no reason why Bennett shouldn't be trade bait. There are very few players in the league that are untouchable and I don't think Bennett is even close to being in that group.

Personally, I see him maxing out as a 50-60 point player who plays with an edge. Like a center version of Dustin Brown if he can get stronger.

Bennett still has a long way to prove himself and if you can get a fully developed player under contract who is already where Bennett "might" end up, you should consider the deal.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #1890
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Dreger says Isles one of 3 teams to kick tires on Eberle.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #1891
FireItUp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Dreger says Isles one of 3 teams to kick tires on Eberle.
I wonder if we can offer up a reunion package which would include Wideman and a prospect or pick to get Eberle on the top wing with Johnny and Monny. I feel dirty for saying that but we really need some skill on the right side.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #1892
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireItUp View Post
I wonder if we can offer up a reunion package which would include Wideman and a prospect or pick to get Eberle on the top wing with Johnny and Monny. I feel dirty for saying that but we really need some skill on the right side.
Sure we can trade them Wide Dawg, and Laddi Smid

I would like a larger player, but Eberle would be a vast improvement on what we have now. That contract though! and the distaste of needing to deal with the greasers.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #1893
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Flames have now added two defensemen in the past few days. Obviously one of our own is headed out of town. What if Treliving makes a big splash and makes an actual hockey trade at the deadline, and moves an under-performing TJ Brodie for Matt Duchene or Gabriel Landeskog? Duchene has the speed and skill to play on the top line, although Gaudreau would have to switch wings. Landeskog has the all around game every team craves, but is missing that elite talent in any one area. Treliving now has some flexibility on the blueline, and then still has a pipeline that is heavy on blueline talent.
i've mentioned before that I have a cousin that plays on the Coyotes. When they were in town last week, we went out for drinks, and he outright told me that Brodie is our hardest d-man to play against. Said it is known in the league that Brodie is the top guy on the Flames.

Lets just keep him.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #1894
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

After publicly announcing he wants out of the Leafs organization if they aren't going to play him and not doing much in the AHL, Brooks Laich is on waivers.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #1895
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
i've mentioned before that I have a cousin that plays on the Coyotes. When they were in town last week, we went out for drinks, and he outright told me that Brodie is our hardest d-man to play against. Said it is known in the league that Brodie is the top guy on the Flames.

Lets just keep him.
Completely agree. Brodie is number one in my books. But it has to be pointed out that the Flames are in need of some help up front and there are some good young players available. You have to give to get, and Brodie is one piece that would command the players discussed. I'd rather have a team of TJ Brodies, but if Treliving is seriously targeting a big fish up front you have to consider the piece heading out of town. Brodie is probably our best piece to use in a trade. Treliving has been gather pieces he likes. How does Brodie fit in that equation?
Old 02-21-2017, 10:52 AM   #1896
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lets have one game with a decent top 4 D before trading away Brodie please
Old 02-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #1897
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So Iginla gets better ice time, more PP time, and still can't score, but he's the answer to our top line problem. You honestly think that Iginla can play the same role as Alex Chaisson? His role would be to get in the dirty areas and dig out pucks, go to the front of the net, and score gritty points. That would be his job in Gulutzan's system. Do you honestly believe that Iginla would play that game? Or do you think he would do what he has done every where he's played in the past decade and just play the game he wants to play? Iginla is not the player people remember. He is a floater, a half wall player, and a guy who just doesn't have the ability to score any more. Stop thinking you're getting a guy that can still play. You're getting a player on the same level as Blake Comeau.
I just want Iginla to ride shotgun with Gaudreau and Monahan. Iginla would make it very clear right away that no one touches Gaudreau. In my opinion, that is the reason why Gaudreau is struggling; his injury recovery and his lack of protection. Iginla's commitment to being a pro would also do some good for both those guys. I wouldn't expect him to come in and light it up, but I think he would bring intangibles that Brouwer was suppose to bring but hasn't. Plus you have to think that no addition would bring more energy and buzz to this team than Iginla. It would be like a shot of adrenaline for the stretch run. I'm just looking at anything to spark Gaudreau because he is the key player here, all this trade Gaudreau talk is ridiculous, just find a way to get him going. There really aren't that many options out there. The only other one that makes sense is Hudler.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #1898
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Gudas been traded?

Dave Isaac @davegisaac
Radko Gudas just left practice. Took his sticks with him.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:04 AM   #1899
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Gudas been traded?

Dave Isaac @davegisaac
Tre been watching Philly and talked about wanting more Jam.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #1900
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Gudas been traded?

Dave Isaac @davegisaac
All your players belong to us.
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread