Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #1821
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Key phrase right here because he isn't anymore and hasn't been that since around 2013-14.
Stajan was our 3C in the 2015 Playoffs.

Stajan was excellent last year when pushed up to the 3C role with Bennett/Chiasson.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 07-10-2017, 05:04 PM   #1822
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
How about a Tyler for Tyler swap? Bozak for Wotherspoon.
LOL dude...That is even more ridiculous than the Bozak for Stajan suggestion.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #1823
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Stajan was our 3C in the 2015 Playoffs.

Stajan was excellent last year when pushed up to the 3C role with Bennett/Chiasson.
Yes, but that was in fairly limited action. Apart from the last 2 weeks during the 2014-15 season and into the playoffs, he was basically the 4th line centre the rest of that year.

And apart from that 1 and a half week stint with Bennett & Chiasson + a couple of games and a few shifts with Johnny & Chiasson he was 4th line centre exclusively.

Last edited by Karl; 07-10-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #1824
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The funny thing is, is that Bozak totally reminds me of Stajan in his Toronto days. I don't think he would touch anything close to 55 points on the Flames, similar to Stajan. Still, he would be a huge upgrade offensively on Stajan at this point. The third and fourth lines need to produce more for the Flames to be a true threat. Sadly, I don't see Stajan helping in that regard.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #1825
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Indeed, you are correct.

It would have to happen now for it to not be ridiculous.
The Following User Says Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #1826
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
The funny thing is, is that Bozak totally reminds me of Stajan in his Toronto days. I don't think he would touch anything close to 55 points on the Flames, similar to Stajan. Still, he would be a huge upgrade offensively on Stajan at this point. The third and fourth lines need to produce more for the Flames to be a true threat. Sadly, I don't see Stajan helping in that regard.
Freddie would be even less of a help.

May as well go with a Stajan - Janko - Brouwer/Lazar 4th line. It's not like this team has the financial flexibility to go for better options than that this year.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #1827
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, but that was in fairly limited action. Apart from the last 2 weeks during the 2014-15 season and into the playoffs, he was basically the 4th line centre the rest of that year.

And apart from that 1 and a half week stint with Bennett & Chiasson + a couple of games and a few shifts with Johnny & Chiasson he was 4th line centre exclusively.
You're confusing what someone is with what role they play on a team. Stajan is not a true 4C any more than Evgeny Malkin is a true 2C. Stajan's a 3C. Nothing about his game has ever limited him from being a regular top 9 forward. He has had success on every line and nothing about his game has fallen so far off the map that he suddenly can't do those things anymore. He looked good as our 2LW two years ago with Backlund and Frolik. He has always been solid as our 3C. The reason he plays 4C and not 3C is because we have been trying to develop young centers like Granlund and Bennett, not because he can't play 3C successfully. I have no doubt his point totals would explode playing 3C between JVR and Marner.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #1828
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
You're confusing what someone is with what role they play on a team. Stajan is not a true 4C any more than Evgeny Malkin is a true 2C. Stajan's a 3C. Nothing about his game has ever limited him from being a regular top 9 forward. He has had success on every line and nothing about his game has fallen so far off the map that he suddenly can't do those things anymore. He looked good as our 2LW two years ago with Backlund and Frolik. He has always been solid as our 3C. The reason he plays 4C and not 3C is because we have been trying to develop young centers like Granlund and Bennett, not because he can't play 3C successfully. I have no doubt his point totals would explode playing 3C between JVR and Marner.
Hee hee, explode? To what, 27 points? Stajan is not a good 3C on a good team. He probably shouldn't be a 4C on a mediocre team, but he is ours and I hope he does well.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #1829
simonarea
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
hey... numbers dont lie

2009–10 Calgary Flames NHL 27 3 13 16 2 — — — — —
2010–11 Calgary Flames NHL 76 6 25 31 32 — — — — —
2011–12 Calgary Flames NHL 61 8 10 18 29 — — — — —
2012–13 Calgary Flames NHL 43 5 18 23 26 — — — — —
2013–14 Calgary Flames NHL 63 14 19 33 42 — — — — —
2014–15 Calgary Flames NHL 59 7 10 17 28 11 1 3 4 21
2015–16 Calgary Flames NHL 80 6 11 17 52 — — — — —
2016–17 Calgary Flames NHL 81 6 17 23 40 3 0 0 0 0
Old 07-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #1830
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're confusing what someone is with what role they play on a team. Stajan is not a true 4C any more than Evgeny Malkin is a true 2C. Stajan's a 3C. Nothing about his game has ever limited him from being a regular top 9 forward. He has had success on every line and nothing about his game has fallen so far off the map that he suddenly can't do those things anymore. He looked good as our 2LW two years ago with Backlund and Frolik. He has always been solid as our 3C. The reason he plays 4C and not 3C is because we have been trying to develop young centers like Granlund and Bennett, not because he can't play 3C successfully.
No I'm not.

Stajan is no longer quite the same player he used to be. He was really good in 2014-15. The next year, notwithstanding the fact that he had to drag around Bollig & Bouma again, he looked done for most of the 2015-16 season. He had a much better year this past year no question (especially given how terrible he looked the previous year), but he really is not the same decent player that he was in previous years.

Hopefully he still has about as much left as he did last year. Time will tell.

Last edited by Karl; 07-10-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #1831
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hee hee, explode? To what, 27 points? Stajan is not a good 3C on a good team. He probably shouldn't be a 4C on a mediocre team, but he is ours and I hope he does well.
Stajan scored 23 points last year playing with not JVR and not Marner. IF he played with JVR & Marner, it's not out of the realm of possibility for him to get say around 35-40 points if he still has as much left in him as he has last year.

Last edited by Karl; 07-10-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:39 PM   #1832
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No I'm not.

Stajan is no longer quite the same player he used to be. He was really good in 2014-15. The next year, notwithstanding the fact that he had to drag around Bollig & Bouma again, he looked done for most of the 2015-16 season. He had a much better year this past year no question (especially given how terrible he looked the previous year), but he really is not the same decent player that he was in previous years.

Hopefully he still has about as much left as he did last year. Time will tell.
I agree that 2015-16 was a bad year for Stajan. But what about his play last year was insufficient for a 3C level of play? Until Brouwer came into the picture, our "fourth line" was often our "third line" in terms of effectiveness. I think Bouma and Bollig and Brouwer had more to do with his struggles than anything else. His stint with Bennett and Chiasson was short, but it was definitely successful. The problem was that Hamilton was not cutting it as the 4C and we were missing Versteeg offensively. A Bennett-Stajan-Versteeg line probably would have dominated last year - but we did the right thing and kept Bennett at center. That doesn't mean Stajan deserved to be the 4C - it's moreso that Bennett needed the ice time to develop at center.

Quote:
Hee hee, explode? To what, 27 points? Stajan is not a good 3C on a good team.
It feels as if what you're trying to say, is that Stajan is not a legitimate 2C playing 3C like Jordan Staal in Pittsburgh.

That doesn't mean he's not a solid 3rd line center, or that third line centers on otherwise good teams like Eller, Bozak, Berglund, Vermette, Jarnkrok, Desharnais, are much better if at all. The average 3C on good teams is not Jordan Staal or even Nick Bonino.

He's a 3C, and if you have high-end depth you always want guys slotted lower than they should be, which makes him an excellent 4C for a team.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:45 PM   #1833
Plaedo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Howard Berger @Berger_BYTES

#Leafs apparently talking trade with Colorado, Calgary and the Rangers. Details sketchy. But, looking to off-load salary for a d-man.

Don't think we would trade a d but could take money back for a price
Lots of talk about Bozak for Stajan/Wotherspoon, but did anyone think that there could be a 3-way brewing?

Colorado, Calgary, Toronto, perhaps?
Old 07-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #1834
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why the argument over Bozak? He is not the answer to anything at 4.2 million for another season. I would rather just stick with Stajan and ride out his contract for this year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #1835
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaedo View Post
Lots of talk about Bozak for Stajan/Wotherspoon, but did anyone think that there could be a 3-way brewing?

Colorado, Calgary, Toronto, perhaps?
Stajan + Bozak to Colorado, Duchene + Landeskog to Calgary, Wotherspoon to Toronto.

Done deal.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #1836
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah I'm not following the reasoning here. I think it's just arguing a trade for someone for the sake of arguing. Bozak is not what the Flames need. He's just more or less the same player and contract that the Flames have in Frolik, Brouwer or Stajan in terms of being a mid-depth guy who's making a significant portion of the cap.

I think the Flames need more of a top talent who's paid like one, and then fill out the bottom 6 with well-drafted players making bottom end salaries
Old 07-10-2017, 06:38 PM   #1837
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
So many ridiculous trade proposals here. Putting HF to shame.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 07:24 PM   #1838
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Stajan is a 4th line centre who can fill in on the 3rd line if you need. Or to put it another way he's a 4th line centre on a strong team and a 3rd line centre on a weak team
Old 07-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #1839
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
So many ridiculous trade proposals here. Putting HF to shame.
Kinda hard for Flames fans not to propose a ridiculous return after literally getting shafted every time we trade big with the Leafs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #1840
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames draft watcher View Post
stajan is a 2nd line ahl centre who can fill in on the 1st line if you need.
fyp
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread