Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #1781
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhouse View Post
I had heard that they were far apart on money as well. They did not want to sign him to a big value longer term. I don't know if it came from the Flames or I read it on here though. The line is sometimes blurry.

Iggy has to come to terms that he is not top line any more. If he wants to sign for money he will sign a higher $$/ longer term deal from a team that is on the outside looking to move into the playoffs.

If he wants to win a cup I think it will be lower $$/ 1-2 year deals to contenders. Or go to LA - they just gave Reggie $6 mil?
Pretty sure money is not an issue, as it was said multiple times Iginla wouldn't negotiate during the season. Do you or Kaine have a link to a source that says money was an option?

Regehr got $3M because thats what LA see's as value for their team's needs. Hopefully I don't upset anyone in saying this, but LA likely would rather have Regehr then Iginla right now.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #1782
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Harvey Dent: You either retire a hero or you play long enough to see yourself become the 4th line plugger.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #1783
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
Pretty sure money is not an issue, as it was said multiple times Iginla wouldn't negotiate during the season. Do you or Kaine have a link to a source that says money was an option?

Regehr got $3M because thats what LA see's as value for their team's needs. Hopefully I don't upset anyone in saying this, but LA likely would rather have Regehr then Iginla right now.
You are upsetting me because the Flames would rather have Regehr than Butler/Byron right now.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #1784
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Harvey Dent: You either retire a hero or you play long enough to see yourself become the 4th line plugger.
Is this some sort of parody to Captain_Obvious's favorite picture "You have given them (Flames fan) everything" and Batman says "Not everything... not yet" ?
Old 06-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #1785
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Who's overrated? Krejci and Bergeron may be two of the most underrated players in the league. They're the top two centres on an elite team that has recently won the Cup and is poised to play in another, and yet their names never come up in conversations about elite centres.

And how many casual NHL fans could name two Bruins defenders outside of Chara?
Lucic obviously the big one. The garbage about what a "beast" and "tough guy" he is is vastly overrated. Krecji is very overrated as well. The defense as a whole group is very overrated in my view.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #1786
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Lucic obviously the big one. The garbage about what a "beast" and "tough guy" he is is vastly overrated. Krecji is very overrated as well. The defense as a whole group is very overrated in my view.
Then by your standards that makes the penguins what, exactly?
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #1787
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

No way Lucic is overrated, probably the most feared power forward in the game today, like Iginla in his prime
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #1788
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He is leading the playoffs in goals and points...probably one of the front runners for the Conn Smythe.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #1789
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think Lucic can be overrated, he has not been a beast in the regular season at all.

Not sure how Krecji is overrated though, the guy is overlooked and never gets mentioned as a great player.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #1790
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
Is this some sort of parody to Captain_Obvious's favorite picture "You have given them (Flames fan) everything" and Batman says "Not everything... not yet" ?
How about no, I hadn't seen obious' picture.

And I have to ask

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moon light? I always ask that of all my prey, I like the sound of it

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #1791
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

In 2005 the game changed. Clutch and grab hockey was finished.

Iginla is a HOF player. It is a testament to his ability and physical prowess that when the game dramatically changed, he was able to continue putting up 1st line numbers despite the game no longer being tailored to his assets.

In the dead puck era, Iginla could drive through the hooking and holding, taking the puck with him. Once that was no longer a factor he began to look less exceptional. As he's aged, his legs and reactions are slightly slower than before.

It's not his fault. He's still a good hockey player. But he's no longer dominant due to his age, and how the league has evolved.

He's also a tremendous human being. Which will hopefully will be what everyone will remember about him when his playing days are done.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #1792
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
what??

lucic had a crap season, no doubt. The playoffs, however, have shown how effective he can be. He's big, tough, has great hands, and has surprisingly good speed in the open ice.

Kreci is the best Center in the playoffs over the past 3 year period as a whole. Him and bergeron are ridiculously smart players, who appear to thrive in creating tons of offense when games get tight (ie. playoff hockey). Over the past 3 seasons, i'd easily take kreci/bergeron over toews/sharp (whoever they use as the 2nd line C), over crosby/malkin, over kopitar/richards, over thornton/pavelski (whoever they use as the 2nd line C).

top end skill that play well in all 3 zones, towers of strength like chara/lucic that quickly dissolve any scrums as few have the stones to go up against them.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #1793
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
How about no, I hadn't seen obious' picture.

And I have to ask

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moon light? I always ask that of all my prey, I like the sound of it
Are you serenading me?

If so: Sorry, I'll have to pass your offer.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #1794
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You know what makes guys like Boychuk, Mcquaid and Ference look good? Responsible forwards who help them out and don't hang them out to dry.

It's really quite simple. If you play well defensively, you will score goals and win games.

Boston has two underrated centres because they don't put up points, they prevent them and capitalize. Well, Iginla puts up points, what contributes more to winning? Malkin scores points, what contributes more to winning?

It's easy to be Jakub Kindl and play defense when Datsyuk or Zetterberg are within 10 feet of him when he have the puck. It's easy for Torey Krug to play defense when Bergeron or Kelly or Horton or Lucic or Greg Campbell are nearby.

The difference in defensive zone play between the Pens and Bruins is pathetic. The penguins should literally be watching the tape of the Bruins and then doing drills based on that in practice, that's how rudimentary it is.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #1795
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Then by your standards that makes the penguins what, exactly?
An NHL hockey team.

Not sure what your point is here?
Old 06-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #1796
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Completely agree Flash. The Bruins have the puck more because they work harder for it. Having guys in on the back check doesn't just help with the defense. It also makes breaking out of your zone much quicker and generally with a better counter attack because your forwards are moving up ice (albeit from lower in the d zone) rather than standing still or even coming back towards the dmen.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #1797
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
You know what makes guys like Boychuk, Mcquaid and Ference look good? Responsible forwards who help them out and don't hang them out to dry.

It's really quite simple. If you play well defensively, you will score goals and win games.

Boston has two underrated centres because they don't put up points, they prevent them and capitalize. Well, Iginla puts up points, what contributes more to winning? Malkin scores points, what contributes more to winning?

It's easy to be Jakub Kindl and play defense when Datsyuk or Zetterberg are within 10 feet of him when he have the puck. It's easy for Torey Krug to play defense when Bergeron or Kelly or Horton or Lucic or Greg Campbell are nearby.

The difference in defensive zone play between the Pens and Bruins is pathetic. The penguins should literally be watching the tape of the Bruins and then doing drills based on that in practice, that's how rudimentary it is.
You pretty much just explained why the Flames should draft Monahan and stay far away from Nichushkin.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #1798
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
They also have everything that a scumbag, dislaikable organization has:

D-bag players- CHECK
Overrated guys that get way too much love- CHECK
An unlikable whiner coach- CHECK
More luck than the average team- CHECK
Favorable reffing (in Pens series at least)- CHECK
Huge D-bag owner- CHECK
Obnoxious media hacks pumping them up local and national- CHECK
The biggest d-bag fans in their sport (I say they have passed Canuck fans this year)- CHECK

I honestly can't think of a reason outside of being a fan of them pre-Flames days to like this team. They are as unlikeable as any team out there and their fans (especially on CP lately) push it over the edge.

I would say LA is more complete. Better skill, much tougher and better goaltending.

And more complete or not Chicago should walk all over them if they play.

Just stop it.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #1799
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
He is leading the playoffs in goals and points...probably one of the front runners for the Conn Smythe.
Didn't realize that we are only talking about these play-offs and have to ignore everything else.

Also overrated doesn't mean crap. Guys can be overrated and have great runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I think Lucic can be overrated, he has not been a beast in the regular season at all.

Not sure how Krecji is overrated though, the guy is overlooked and never gets mentioned as a great player.
I think with Krejci probably a combo of overrated/over talked about. I think he is a fine 2nd line guy who can provide offense. But hearing him talked about as a top player or first line talent is a little much for me.

He is on a hot/lucky run so good for him but he is not close to one of the better players in the game.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #1800
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If only Iginla could be as lucky as Krejci, him and the flames might have a stanley cup banner in the rafters, eh Mooney?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote