Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #161
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
How many moms do you know that own not one but multiple guns?
Mmmmm, haven't really had time to do a survey but it's a massive stretch to say there aren't any mothers in Canada that don't own multiple guns. Just because I don't know any personally doesn't mean they aren't out there.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #162
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I don't believe he could. Where would he get weapons from?
Huh? The gun he used was purchased by his mother and left unlocked in his home. The exact same thing could have happened in Canada.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #163
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
Because we had to do that once already?
lol, I love how you guys pretend the American Revolution was 10 years ago. Dude, it was 240 years ago. Your great great great great great great great great grandfather wasn't even born when the revolution was happening. It's ancient history. It was a different time, a different people, a different culture, a different society, a different war than would be fought now, different politics and a different world.

It's astoundingly absurd to think your glock or even your AR-15 would have any relevance in a war on American soil. You have the largest armed forces in the world. One bomb could vaporize your city. Handguns owned by civilians do nothing but kill other civilians. Snap into reality, man. You and your fellow gun-toting citizens aren't going to be stopping any invasions ever. The real war is already upon you, but it's a battle against an increasingly flawed ideology that you and your countrymen need to address.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #164
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Fipside to that argument....Texas, which has some of the most liberal gun laws in the States, has a number of cities that rank near the bottom of that list.
I am not debating the outcome of the stats, and what they represent. I am pointing out the fact that they aren't even remotely close to what Mikey is claiming. If you are going to make statistical claims, don't make ridiculously false ones.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #165
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Fipside to that argument....Texas, which has some of the most liberal gun laws in the States, has a number of cities that rank near the bottom of that list.
True, but I'd also add that the cities with the highest rates are generally much more urban than those cities in Texas, and also have serious socio-economic issues.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #166
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I must really be out of the loop. Last I looked I thought automatic weapons were not available to the public at large. Where would one go about purchasing an automatic weapon in the US? Wal Mart?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Bushmaster-...shmaster+AR+15
Old 01-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #167
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Oh semi automatic. Like every rifle in the world that's not black powder or bolt action. My bad, I misunderstood when you said automatic.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #168
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

The AR-15 is semi-auto, though with practice the difference isn't that large. With large magazines can come large numbers of bullets being delivered very quickly.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #169
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Huh? The gun he used was purchased by his mother and left unlocked in his home. The exact same thing could have happened in Canada.
You missed my point where I said that moms here don't typically do this sort of thing.

I realize that an exemption may be made, but overall, Canadians don't arm themselves like Americans. There will be irresponsible idiots in both Canada and US so accidents will happen, but they will be far more often in the US.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #170
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh semi automatic. Like every rifle in the world that's not black powder or bolt action. My bad, I misunderstood when you said automatic.
ah ok, should I change that from "automatic weapon" to "gun that can fire hundreds of bullets per minute"? Would you be OK with that? Sorry, I generalize a bit, as I tend to look at the outcome as opposed to the symantics of what it actually is, or isn't.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #171
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well seeing as how I never said it was 10 years ago...but I like how now using the different people/culture/society argument is now acceptable because it fits with your argument. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
lol, I love how you guys pretend the American Revolution was 10 years ago. Dude, it was 240 years ago. Your great great great great great great great great grandfather wasn't even born when the revolution was happening. It's ancient history. It was a different time, a different people, a different culture, a different society, a different war than would be fought now, different politics and a different world.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #172
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well seeing as how I never said it was 10 years ago...but I like how now using the different people/culture/society argument is now acceptable because it fits with your argument. Thanks
You didn't have to say it was 10 years ago, you implied that Americans need guns because they had to rise up against their oppressive government at one point in their history (which by the way is a pretty creative version of history to begin with). That's ridiculous, and yet it's somehow seen as a completely acceptable justification by a massive number of Americans.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #173
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
ah ok, should I change that from "automatic weapon" to "gun that can fire hundreds of bullets per minute"? Would you be OK with that? Sorry, I generalize a bit, as I tend to look at the outcome as opposed to the symantics of what it actually is, or isn't.
Nah, it appears you argue this from a place of emotion so no, I wouldn't bother changing it. Your case can be made rather easily with simple facts and civilized discussion but you chose hyperbole and generalization instead.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #174
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You didn't have to say it was 10 years ago, you implied that Americans need guns because they had to rise up against their oppressive government at one point in their history (which by the way is a pretty creative version of history to begin with). That's ridiculous, and yet it's somehow seen as a completely acceptable justification by a massive number of Americans.
I answered the question as to why American's think that more than the rest of the world ..
Old 01-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #175
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Yes, we must all ignore the 'drone war' that Obama has been a huge proponent of, and forget about all those innocent children that are caught in the crossfire because someone is trigger happy.

And those kill lists? Not a big deal at all.
Remember that time you tried to equate your experience with racism with that of a black man born into federal segregation in the 1930s within eyesight of the Mason Dixie line?

This is the same type of absurd, embarrassing comparison.

It underscores the notion that you have no idea what you're talking about.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #176
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I answered the question as to why American's think that more than the rest of the world ..
Well then the question still stands, because there are a heck of a lot of countries who have way bloodier histories then the US.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #177
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nah, it appears you argue this from a place of emotion so no, I wouldn't bother changing it. Your case can be made rather easily with simple facts and civilized discussion but you chose hyperbole and generalization instead.
yah sure, which one was that?
that Holmes could've easily gotten a highly effective firearm even if he was NJ's family member?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #178
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it funny that before the U.S. occupation, Iraq had one of the heaviest armed civilian populations in the world, and the 1st thing the Americans did after establishing control was asked (forced) the civilians to give up their guns.

It seems like the theory that an armed civilian population is necessary to avoid tyranny is flawed.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #179
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well then the question still stands, because there are a heck of a lot of countries who have way bloodier histories then the US.
I just answered it , because we have fought one before? That is the answer. Im not defending it or saying it's wrong. It's simply the answer to the question asked.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #180
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just answered it , because we have fought one before? That is the answer. Im not defending it or saying it's wrong. It's simply the answer to the question asked.
Then why don't other countries have the same viewpoint despite having their own historical events to draw upon? Why don't the French feel like they need to own guns?
Closed Thread