Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #141
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So how is Calgary By-Law out on the street monitoring these Uber pick ups like the city says they are? How could they tell and Uber pick from say me picking up a friend or my wife? There's no exchange of money or anything.

Tickets to Uber drives seems like a weak threat by the City.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #142
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Honestly, I haven't had that many negative taxi experiences. I don't think most people have had really bad ones either. It really boils down to the cartel and the artificially high prices.
I take it you haven't tried to get a cab on NYE ever? To me a bad cab experience also includes not being able to find one when you need one. With Uber, at least you know where the UberX cars are around you since their app is so handy.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #143
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle26792745/

Tweeted Nenshi this link and asked if he has spoken with the Premier about Uber, no response (which I wasn't expecting).
Probably too busy reposting lost dogs/cats from @crackmacs
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #144
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post
I support Uber but 2 of cheap, fast or good is a universal truth in quality. While you may have a specific case detailing otherwise, over the long term its simply not possible to be the fastest, cheapest and best all at the same time.
With Ubers business model it is somewhat possible. With all the new contractors cycling through, there will always be a ton of dreamers with new cars. They'll do it for a couple years, mile out their car, take a huge loss and say, WTF? Rinse and repeat with another driver.

The wheels are already turning in my head. As a VW employee, I could lease a base Jetta for next to nothing, and probably clear $1500 a month in quick easy part time cash. Just working a couple nights a week.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #145
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why the #### does the taxi industry get such special privilege in this city? You'd think it was run by the mafia they're so protected. Why does no other industry get this kind of protection?

Uber can't arrive fast enough. The city shouldn't be in the business of regulating the market.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 01:16 PM   #146
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
With Ubers business model it is somewhat possible. With all the new contractors cycling through, there will always be a ton of dreamers with new cars. They'll do it for a couple years, mile out their car, take a huge loss and say, WTF? Rinse and repeat with another driver.

The wheels are already turning in my head. As a VW employee, I could lease a base Jetta for next to nothing, and probably clear $1500 a month in quick easy part time cash. Just working a couple nights a week.
That is exactly what I am thinking. I already drive downtown to work everyday why not get up earlier and hope to catch a fare. I also need to go home every night so why not try to catch a fare out of downtown.

I attend flames games why not skip the beer and drive someone home after the game make some money
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #147
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Have I got this right? As far as Uber supporters are concerned personal convenience trumps insurance issues (liability and personal injury), tax avoidance (GST, tax on earnings), not to mention the potential impact on those making their living driving taxis today.

We've had 2 "layoff" threads bemoaning job losses due to the downturn in the oil industry (economic/market forces) but as far as cab driver go it's "suck it up .... free market!

Maybe somebody should let those posting in the "layoff' thread about the earnings potential of becoming an Uber driver.
You're right, the way things were going before was terrible, it was an expensive inconvenience and in some manner of thinking it bordered on extortion.

But because a few people were making money at the expense of others we should totally ignore everything bad about it, sucked it up ourselves and kept on trucking.

I dont even know what point you're trying to make here? Yes, some taxi drivers might to lose their jobs, but again, thats not their fault, our fault or the City's fault.

You cant keep offering an expensive but crap service and expect everything to be rosy forever unless you work for a Union. But the people holding all of the City's Livery Licenses basically did just that, they created an atmosphere of limited outside competition and this is what happens as a result.

Sure they're not going to like it, but they had every chance, every opportunity to change and embrace change with a competitive advantage and they squandered those opportunities in exchange for the quick, guaranteed buck right now.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:20 PM   #148
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
That is exactly what I am thinking. I already drive downtown to work everyday why not get up earlier and hope to catch a fare. I also need to go home every night so why not try to catch a fare out of downtown.

I attend flames games why not skip the beer and drive someone home after the game make some money
Good thinking. I drive a van and can pack 5 more people comfortably to and fro work downtown. It will be pretty much free money for me. And it's good for the environment too so I'm counting on Nenshi's support on this.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #149
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Exactly. I go from basically Chinook Centre to Northland Mall 5 days a week. If I could snag a fare each way, why not. And living two blocks north of Chinook Centre, I would be in a primo location to snag fares when I'm bored.

If I'm doing nothing else, why not get paid for being bored? I love driving and know the city like the back of my hand.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #150
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly. I go from basically Chinook Centre to Northland Mall 5 days a week. If I could snag a fare each way, why not. And living two blocks north of Chinook Centre, I would be in a primo location to snag fares when I'm bored.

If I'm doing nothing else, why not get paid for being bored? I love driving and know the city like the back of my hand.
Bingo bango. That's the beauty of Uber.

Many uber drivers I've come across drive sparsely in the evenings after their day jobs. And only if they feel like it.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:24 PM   #151
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has the insurance angle been solved for the driver? Damaging the car is one thing but I wouldn't want to pick up a uber fare if that will void my 3rd party liability.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #152
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
So how is Calgary By-Law out on the street monitoring these Uber pick ups like the city says they are? How could they tell and Uber pick from say me picking up a friend or my wife? There's no exchange of money or anything.

Tickets to Uber drives seems like a weak threat by the City.
Download the app, hail an Uber, get in, write a ticket.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #153
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Maybe you got lucky, Chicago is one of those markets that already allow vehicles from 2001 to work. And at only 90c/mile before Uber cut and given the costs of operating a newer vehicle in a big city (IRS mileage rate is about 57c/mile), most drivers are barely covering the operating costs of a newer vehicle. It's even worse in cities that are at 75c/mile like Detroit.

There are forums like http://uberpeople.net/ where you can read up on the experiences of Uber drives. The cars driven by those making a living at Uber end up being similar to cars driven by taxi drivers, older depreciated, fuel efficient and reliable models like a Prius.
Perhaps if consumers want a safe reliable newer model car with professional drivers they shouldn't demand an environment that only pays $0.75/mile!

Pay for quality or not?>
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #154
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Download the app, hail an Uber, get in, write a ticket.
I can't see the city going that far.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:33 PM   #155
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Well, for one thing you usually don't know the destination of the passenger until you pick them up.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #156
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Well, for one thing you usually don't know the destination of the passenger.
Ya but if I live in the south chances are person will be heading north either to airport or to downtown or close to it. I have a flexible start time at work so I have time to mess around getting into the office.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #157
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Ya but if I live in the south chances are person will be heading north either to airport or to downtown or close to it. I have a flexible start time at work so I have time to mess around getting into the office.
Okay now, that's a different kind of service.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #158
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Okay now, that's a different kind of service.
Luber.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #159
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post
Perhaps if consumers want a safe reliable newer model car with professional drivers they shouldn't demand an environment that only pays $0.75/mile!

Pay for quality or not?>
This is absolute horse crap. Some of the absolute worst drivers on the road are cabbies. I have always wondered how someone who drives for a living can suck so hard at the primary skill of their employment. Like worse than 14 year old learners permit holders. A huge portion of cabbies come here with little or know driving experience, and are bribing some unknown driving school instructor to get a pass. This is fact. Most cabbies are brutally bad drivers.

With a Calgary Taxi, you are paying T-bone prices for a frikking piece of bologna.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #160
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I can't see the city going that far.
The City of Ottawa has been doing just that. Uber is right now breaking the law and the fine is $1500. There are plenty of reasons for the city to do just that.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote