Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #121
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
The thing with an emergency recall is that you have to be able to justify WHY it's an emergency to the NHL.

For example, last season they justified emergency recalling Sven because Feaster said they can't deplete the farm any more and still stay competitive (especially since at one point they had Byron, Kolanos, Horak, Brodie, Irving, Bouma, etc.). The NHL found that to be a sufficient reason and they allowed it.

In this case, there's no way Feaster can make a case from bringing in Brossoit. Losing Danny, you still have another ridiculously good goaltender behind him in Brust.

Feaster made the right choice and the only choice in the short timeframe he had to get a backup to Columbus.
The "emergency" situation is more specific than that. As soon as you drop below X healthy goalies, X healthy forwards, or X healthy defensmen you are in an emergency situation. Pretty sure that having 1 healthy goalie qualifies as an "emergency" situation just as us dropping below however many forwards we had qualified us for an "emergency" situation last season when we called up Sven. Teams don't usually calls up junior players in emergency situations, usually they just call up minor leaguers.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #122
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yeah was just gonna add....Brossoit cant be recalled on an emergency basis.....because there is no emergency as far as the NHL is concerned.
Incorrect.

(ii) Emergency conditions shall be
established when the playing strength of the loaning Club, by
reason of incapacitating injury or illness or by League
suspension to its players is reduced below the level of two (2)
goalkeepers, six (6) defensemen and twelve (12) forwards. Proof
of the existence of the emergency conditions including the
incapacity shall be furnished to the Commissioner of the League
upon request made by him.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #123
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

While true, that does not necessarily mean we can make an emergency recall from junior. If you are reading that off the old CBA, then the intent, IIRC, was to allow for a recall from the minor leagues without the need for recall waivers. The Flames were not allowed to bring Baertschi up until we had a minimum number of forwards on IR because the rules for emergency recall from junior is different.

That being said, I haven't watched the video getbak posted, but it may suggest the case for goaltenders is different.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #124
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Screw Taylor, I like Irving.

Give the guy a chance instead of wasting another goalie prospect. Honestly, Irving has done relatively well in the NHL last year and deserves this. What a message this would send to other players who are in the system if Taylor gets the start.

AKA Krahn, Keetley etc.
Yes, what would it say to those in the minors that guys who are deserving of it get recalled, and get to play? Seriously dude, think that one through.

That being said, I think Irving deserves the chance to put some starts together. He is the Flames #2 goalie, and with Kiprusoff down, he deserves the chance to prove he can handle the load.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #125
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
If anything, Irving gets the benefit of the doubt more because of his draft position.

He won the back-up position over Karlsson, but not over Taylor as Taylor didn't have a deal. As others have mentioned, Taylor bumped Irving in Abbotsford and if this really is a meritocracy, then he should get that chance now.

Even though Feaster didn't draft Irving, I don't think he wants the black eye from letting a former first rounder go. And it's not that I am saying that Irving's NHL potential is gone, but I am not convinced that Taylor's potential is any different at this point.
If anything, Irving's 0.932 SV %, outside of the Boston game, is what gets him the leg up.

If you want to talk about meritocracy (BS word anyways in the world of sports) Irving had a shut out last game/period and will get the next start.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #126
JJsChaos
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'd like to see them split starts. They're 24 and 26 years old. I'm not sure how much more experience they can get in the AHL. This is great for both players and shows the organization what we have with two prospect goalies.

JJsChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #127
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
I don't get why people are so worked up about how Irving has to get the starts, and Taylor is just here to ride pine.

Oh, actually I do know why, it's because Irving was a 1st rounder... SEVEN years ago.

Reading CP you'd think that Irving is fresh-faced kid taking the world by storm, while Taylor is some has-been career minor leaguer. Taylor is all of about 2 years older, has decisively outplayed Irving when given the chance, and has taken his job twice.

Why do we "have to see what Irving can do at the NHL level", but not Taylor? Frankly, at this point we have every reason to think Taylor is better than Irving. Clearly Troy Ward agrees, as he chooses Taylor over Irving head to head. We know Irving can translate his skills into at least a backup position in the NHL, but otherwise we have no reason to think that Irving has a higher ceiling than Taylor.

I would be perfectly happy to give Taylor the chance to steal Iring's job yet again.
You have to feel for goalies sometimes,a 20 year old Taylor went threw the numbers games against Quick and Bernier, got his cup of NHL coffee,let in 2 goals and wasn't seen again.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #128
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Love to see players make it to the Bigs after playing the farm.

That a boy, Danny!!

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #129
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why can't people seem to grasp the fact that Irving was on a PTO and was limited in the games that he could dress for? No one knew for sure how long the lock would last for. Taylor did not 'steal' Irving's spot in Abbotsford.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #130
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Why can't people seem to grasp the fact that Irving was on a PTO and was limited in the games that he could dress for? No one knew for sure how long the lock would last for. Taylor did not 'steal' Irving's spot in Abbotsford.
I don't understand this at all. Ivring was on a PTO when now?
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #131
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I don't understand this at all. Ivring was on a PTO when now?
He was on a PTO during the lockout with the Heat. He could only dress in 25 games for the whole season. Abbotsford went into the season knowing Brust and Taylor would be their 2 goalies, and brought Irving in so he would be able to continue to get practice with a team and their goalie coach and get reps in some games to stay in game shape. He wasn't brought in to be a real part of the team and the team kind of treated it that way. I think from the results we saw in the games Irving played he didn't really see himself as a part of the team either, and wasn't mentally into the games the same way he would be if he was really a part of the team.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J epworth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #132
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal View Post
He was on a PTO during the lockout with the Heat. He could only dress in 25 games for the whole season. Abbotsford went into the season knowing Brust and Taylor would be their 2 goalies, and brought Irving in so he would be able to continue to get practice with a team and their goalie coach and get reps in some games to stay in game shape. He wasn't brought in to be a real part of the team and the team kind of treated it that way. I think from the results we saw in the games Irving played he didn't really see himself as a part of the team either, and wasn't mentally into the games the same way he would be if he was really a part of the team.
Thanks for the explanation

How many games did he actually start.

And that last part about his play being impacted by not seeing himself as part of the team.........that is some weak sauce on Irving's part if true. Don't want a guy with that mental make up anywhere close to this team, let alone starting in between the pipes.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #133
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Thanks for the explanation

How many games did he actually start.

And that last part about his play being impacted by not seeing himself as part of the team.........that is some weak sauce on Irving's part if true. Don't want a guy with that mental make up anywhere close to this team, let alone starting in between the pipes.
He started either 5 or 6 games, can't quite remember.

I'm with you on that attitude thing, I really don't like it, but really do believe Irving either felt himself too superior for the AHL now or really just distanced himself from the team and looked at those last few months more as "training" instead of "playing". Either way, I don't like the attitude he brought during the lockout, but it would be tough for a guy like him to be stuck once again in the minors after the tease he got with the big show last season.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #134
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Why couldn't Irving sign an AHL contract and then an NHL contact once the lock out was done?

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #135
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
Why couldn't Irving sign an AHL contract and then an NHL contact once the lock out was done?
I believe he had already signed his NHL deal. I may be wrong though.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #136
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He started either 5 or 6 games, can't quite remember.

I'm with you on that attitude thing, I really don't like it, but really do believe Irving either felt himself too superior for the AHL now or really just distanced himself from the team and looked at those last few months more as "training" instead of "playing". Either way, I don't like the attitude he brought during the lockout, but it would be tough for a guy like him to be stuck once again in the minors after the tease he got with the big show last season.
I've seen this mentioned a few times; I think we should really hold off on rumour mongering this unless its actually mentioned. I don't recall any interview or anything ever giving me the impression he felt he was too good for the AHL.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #137
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
He was on an NHL contract, and should have been locked out like everyone else.

When the lockout started, the NHL/AHL/NHLPA made an agreement that allowed any player who had an NHL two-way contract and who played in the AHL playoffs last season to be signed to an AHL PTO during the lockout. This allowed the player to play in the AHL without needing to clear waivers.

It was only available to players with two-way contracts, which is why Brett Carson wasn't in Abbotsford until the lockout ended.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #138
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
I've seen this mentioned a few times; I think we should really hold off on rumour mongering this unless its actually mentioned. I don't recall any interview or anything ever giving me the impression he felt he was too good for the AHL.
Yes sorry, thought I made it pretty clear that was just my opinion; I never talked or saw Irving throughout the lockout, only talked to a friend who used to be his backup in the WHL and he didn't have anything but good things to say about him, but did say that talking to him he felt like he had enough with being in the AHL this summer and really didn't want to go back to Abbotsford (this was before the lockout began)
Old 02-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #139
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes sorry, thought I made it pretty clear that was just my opinion; I never talked or saw Irving throughout the lockout, only talked to a friend who used to be his backup in the WHL and he didn't have anything but good things to say about him, but did say that talking to him he felt like he had enough with being in the AHL this summer and really didn't want to go back to Abbotsford (this was before the lockout began)
Yeah, true, but CP tends to sometimes take this ball and run crazy with it. More then a few rumours have gone awry here in the past few years.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #140
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the AHL Heat goalie stats. Lets just say he was rusty from lack of work or was unmotivated but now is.

Quote:
# Goalies GP Mins W L SOL SO GA GAA SVS SV% 30 Danny Taylor (X) 26 1457:46 13 9 1 2 43 1.77 573 0.930 33 Barry Brust 19 1091:04 9 7 2 4 35 1.92 481 0.932 37 Leland Irving (X) 6 290:11 2 3 1 0 18 3.72 121 0.871 TOTALS 47 2857:24 24 19 4 6 99 2.08 1175 0.922
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote