Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2024, 12:36 PM   #1301
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden View Post
I would be curious if Calgary takes a run a Nikita Gusev, old teammate with Kuzmenko, 89 points in68 games.. does someone give him another go at the NHL?
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 01:32 PM   #1302
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
When the Flames first made the Taffoli trade, Gusev was the guy who came to my mind as being Sherangovich. Hence why my first reaction was...did we just trade for another Zainullin?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 01:49 PM   #1303
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
This is a weird comment as the Oilers have had a ton more success then the Flames the last 5 seasons.

Top end/ elite talent wins.

Mangi is fine as your 8-9th best player on a contending team . But he isn’t improving , nor getting younger , and is already making 6 million .

There’s zero reason to sign him after this contract so trade him for as much value as you can
I'd be happy to trade Mangiapane for the reasons you stated.

But the comment about the Oilers having a "ton" more success the last 5 seasons is complete nonsense, even with the disappinting year last year.

Last 5 seasons (2018-2019 through 2022-2023)

Oilers
192-149-32
15-21 Playoff record
Highest finish - 2nd Pacifc

Flames
200-127-45
11-16 Playoff record
1st Pacific x2, 1st Western Conference
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 01:51 PM   #1304
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I would be curious if Calgary takes a run a Nikita Gusev, old teammate with Kuzmenko, 89 points in68 games.. does someone give him another go at the NHL?
Ah man - good ole Gusev - just had a flashback to when i had a media pass for the World Juniors when it was here and I wrote an article on him that an Edmonton Journal journalist kind of plagiarized without reference back.

I dubbed him "Picasso-On-Ice" as cheesy as that was haha.
Old 04-03-2024, 03:46 PM   #1305
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I think he broke some records in the KHL this year. Small player and he will be 32 before the season starts, but I like the outside of the box thinking.
Old 04-03-2024, 04:06 PM   #1306
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Ah man - good ole Gusev - just had a flashback to when i had a media pass for the World Juniors when it was here and I wrote an article on him that an Edmonton Journal journalist kind of plagiarized without reference back.

I dubbed him "Picasso-On-Ice" as cheesy as that was haha.
Watching that tournament it was pretty easy to feel that Gusev was the straw stirring the drink on the G-Kuznetsov-Kucherov line. He was totally electric. Kucherov was the LEAST likely imo to succeed and yet!

Looking back I find it surprising Nail Yakupov had 9 points in that tournament but I barely remember him playing at all.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:10 PM   #1307
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
When the Flames first made the Taffoli trade, Gusev was the guy who came to my mind as being Sherangovich. Hence why my first reaction was...did we just trade for another Zainullin?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:10 PM   #1308
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

There been a lot of folk bringing up potential wingers for the Flames to sign and not nearly enough centers.

Flames nation headlines a debrusk signing scenario in the summer, Gusev here. Plus others I'm forgetting.

I feell like it should be common sense that the Flames needs to add are elsewhere. And far away from wing.
Old 04-03-2024, 04:12 PM   #1309
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
There been a lot of folk bringing up potential wingers for the Flames to sign and not nearly enough centers.

Flames nation headlines a debrusk signing scenario in the summer, Gusev here. Plus others I'm forgetting.

I feell like it should be common sense that the Flames needs to add are elsewhere. And far away from wing.
It's clear to me what Conroy is looking for.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:22 PM   #1310
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

No to debrusk but I think the idea of sending a wad of cash to try out Gusev is genious.

He's older, and KHL imports typically get short contracts to start. We have room to overspend on him for a single year (maybe 2) and have a former friend and team mate of his on the roster. We've recently improved our russian assets.

The biggest benefit here is the potential positive impact on Kuzmenko and his trade value next season. Imagine if these guys could pop with Sharango in the middle? We'd be sitting on another gold mine in trade assets to help this rebuild fly.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:30 PM   #1311
Ba'alzamon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

The Flames organization has chronically overvalued wingers, for decades, so it isn't hard to understand that people think they might continue to do so.
Ba'alzamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:33 PM   #1312
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Put Buffalo on the Andersson destination list.

NJ will and should pony up the 1st. Give them some retention and let's go!
Maybe one of the picks we draft could even turn into an Andersson in 6-7 years!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:35 PM   #1313
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba'alzamon View Post
The Flames organization has chronically overvalued wingers, for decades, so it isn't hard to understand that people think they might continue to do so.
Must be the logo, because almost nothing else besides the Dome is still here from decades ago.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:44 PM   #1314
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
If you could somehow get Buffalo's 2024 pick for Andersson and it was a top 12 pick then the likelihood is one of the dmen would be better than Andersson and hopefully before 6 or 7 years.

Give me one of Dickenson, Silayev, Buium, Parekh on an ELC instead of Andersson at 30 years old making $8M in 3 years for sure.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:45 PM   #1315
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I mean, hopefully. There are players better than Andersson that get picked in that range and there are players vastly inferior to Andersson that get picked in that range.

The point isn't necessarily to upgrade Andersson, it is to bring up a new core of players of similar ages so that, in 6 or 7 years, you have a 25 year old instead of a 35 year old making too much money for too many more years.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:56 PM   #1316
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
I'd be happy to trade Mangiapane for the reasons you stated.

But the comment about the Oilers having a "ton" more success the last 5 seasons is complete nonsense, even with the disappinting year last year.

Last 5 seasons (2018-2019 through 2022-2023)

Oilers
192-149-32
15-21 Playoff record
Highest finish - 2nd Pacifc

Flames
200-127-45
11-16 Playoff record
1st Pacific x2, 1st Western Conference
Well I am including this season which we will miss and they at least make playoffs not the 2019 season (2019 makes us look much better as they missed playoffs and we finished first only to lose first round)

Maybe "Tons" was a small hyperbole but certainly not nonsense (Even if you try to sneak in 2019 in the stats)- 3 series wins (+ if they do anything this season) vs 1. Beat us in the playoffs. 4/5 playoffs vs 2/5 for Flames.

They have been much better over the last 5 seasons then us.

Flames

2024 34-35-5 Season Ongoing
2023 38-27-17 Missed Playoffs
2022 50-21-11 Lost Conference Semi-Finals (Won 1 Round)
2021 26-27-3 Missed Playoffs
2020 36-27-7 Lost First Round (Won 1 Round)

Oilers
2024 45-23-5 Season Ongoing
2023 50-23-9 Lost Conference Semi-Finals (Won 1 Round)
2022 49-27-6 Lost Conference Finals (Won 2 Rounds)
2021 35-19-2 Lost First Round (Won 0 Rounds)
2020 37-25-9 Lost Qualifying Round (Won 0 Rounds)

Last edited by Jason14h; 04-03-2024 at 05:10 PM.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:29 PM   #1317
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Well I am including this season which we will miss and they at least make playoffs not the 2019 season (2019 makes us look much better as they missed playoffs and we finished first only to lose first round)

Maybe "Tons" was a small hyperbole but certainly not nonsense (Even if you try to sneak in 2019 in the stats)- 3 series wins (+ if they do anything this season) vs 1. Beat us in the playoffs. 4/5 playoffs vs 2/5 for Flames.

They have been much better over the last 5 seasons then us.

Flames

2024 34-35-5 Season Ongoing
2023 38-27-17 Missed Playoffs
2022 50-21-11 Lost Conference Semi-Finals (Won 1 Round)
2021 26-27-3 Missed Playoffs
2020 36-27-7 Lost First Round (Won 1 Round)

Oilers
2024 45-23-5 Season Ongoing
2023 50-23-9 Lost Conference Semi-Finals (Won 1 Round)
2022 49-27-6 Lost Conference Finals (Won 2 Rounds)
2021 35-19-2 Lost First Round (Won 0 Rounds)
2020 37-25-9 Lost Qualifying Round (Won 0 Rounds)
Still isn't even close to a ton more success, or even more at all. Even with this season the Oil still have a worse record over 5 seasons, minus a singular playoff round win. So yes, I think a ton more success is total nonsense.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 06:38 PM   #1318
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Flames have too much winger depth. All the top forward prospects are wingers too. They need to trade at least one of Kuzmenko or Mangiapane in the Summer in order to make room for Pelletier and Coronato.

Signing another winger makes no sense at all.

Chandler Stephenson ( a centre) makes a lot of sense for the Flames.

Course, any UFA signing plan can change with a lottery win.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:50 PM   #1319
420since1974
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Conroy has 5 forwards that will be UFAs at the end of next season (Hunt (28), Kuzmenko (28), Mangiapane (27), Rooney (30), and Sharangovich (25)).
If Craig stays on his stated course of not letting anyone walk for free, I expect that he will trade all of them, though any decent return on Hunt and Rooney would be unlikely.
He might re-sign Sharangovich as he has shown he can play at C, but he will be 29 by the time the new arena opens.
The most that I would offer him would be 4 years at $5M and even that may be a little high.
420since1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:52 PM   #1320
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Flames have too much winger depth. All the top forward prospects are wingers too. They need to trade at least one of Kuzmenko or Mangiapane in the Summer in order to make room for Pelletier and Coronato.

Signing another winger makes no sense at all.

Chandler Stephenson ( a centre) makes a lot of sense for the Flames.

Course, any UFA signing plan can change with a lottery win.
Please no to Stephenson. That would be a textbook Treliving move… overpaying for a veteran 29/30 year old who has just played well on a cup contender after multiple playoff runs and is taking his retirement contract that he likely never lives up to.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good