Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 01:00 PM   #1281
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pat Steinberg‏Verified account @Fan960Steinberg 4m4 minutes ago
More
Wondering if we hear news of a #Flames buyout today. Bouma, Stajan both potential candidates with one year remaining.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:06 PM   #1282
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
More
Wondering if we hear news of a #Flames buyout today. Bouma, Stajan both potential candidates with one year remaining.
I would love fornthe Flames to move on from those 2 players.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Marleau
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Versteeg
Lazar-Jankowski-Brouwer
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #1283
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't the Flames save nearly as much in cap hit by just burying Bouma in the minors? And it would only last 1 season?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #1284
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Buyouts.

Hmm. Bennett, Ferland and Lazar are the RFA's needing new deals. Versteeg apparently has been extended. Chiasson likely gone.

Require a #5 D, and probably a back-up G. Nice to have another high end F.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:18 PM   #1285
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
More
Buyouts make no sense IMO.

Bouma
- Buyout: $667k Cap Hit
- Minors: $1.175 Cap Hit

Would rather spend $500k more this year and still have him available in case of injury problems than have the cap hit on the books for next year too.

For Stajan I fell like with one year left that there would have to be a market in a trade if the Flames retained some money. A buyout would cost us $1.8M this year to the cap, feel like if we just retained $1.5M in a trade Stajan could actually have some value at $1.625M cap hit.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 01:22 PM   #1286
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless Flames are in serious cap trouble this year, which I don't think they are (unless they somehow overpay for a RW), then I don't see why they would buy either player out. Just suck it up for this one more year, and give yourself more flexibility afterwards. No use being unnecessarily saddled with a future cap hit when you don't need to be.

And it's not like either guy are dressing room cancers so they just need to get rid of them. If anything, I'd keep them around in case injuries happen.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:24 PM   #1287
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Bouma

Would rather spend $500k more this year and still have him available in case of injury problems than have the cap hit on the books for next year too.

For Stajan I fell like with one year left that there would have to be a market in a trade if the Flames retained some money. A buyout would cost us $1.8M this year to the cap, feel like if we just retained $1.5M in a trade Stajan could actually have some value at $1.625M cap hit.
Plus, if you send him down, there is a chance someone takes him off your hands for free with waivers. Same can be said with Stajan.

Losing on waivers = a good thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Incogneto For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #1288
mylam
Draft Pick

Quote:
Agree with that, seems like a better idea to just bury Bouma in the minors and if there's any emergency call up, at least you know Bouma can be somewhat serviceable.

Would rather not have anything to do with Bouma next year at all too haha, so that's another reason to just advocate burying him in the minors for one season and be done with him.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #1289
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the Flames will buy anyone out either, but then again I was surprised they bought out Raymond. Thought that they would just bury him for the year.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:26 PM   #1290
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I say just keep them both. Final year and they add depth.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:28 PM   #1291
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I don't think the Flames will buy anyone out either, but then again I was surprised they bought out Raymond. Thought that they would just bury him for the year.
Perhaps if the Flames don't plan on playing the player, it's a request from ownership to save 33%.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:32 PM   #1292
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Perhaps if the Flames don't plan on playing the player, it's a request from ownership to save 33%.
Perhaps, but they had no trouble burying Bollig all season (though his cap hit was smaller, the owners were fine with him making an NHL salary in the AHL).

I won't say they won't buy anyone out, but I would be surprised if they did. If Treliving has a deal or two in the works that brings the Flames right up to the cap, then I guess he would have to.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:34 PM   #1293
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This and it could also be a favor to the player, as funny as that sounds.

If nobody wants to trade for them, pay them the salary they are due and eat the cap hit they come with then the Flames could buy them out allowing them to sign elsewhere on a contract that isnt nearly as tough to swallow for a 4th liner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 01:36 PM   #1294
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Steinberg only speculating about buyouts because he thinks the FlMes could be fairly active on free agency.

Still need 1-2 Dmen, 1 goalie and a winger
Old 06-29-2017, 01:44 PM   #1295
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do they though?

Sit Bouma all year in the pressbox and he makes 2.2M.

Buyout Bouma and he makes 66% of his contract, 1.45M (spread out over 2).

But now you need to sign or recall a replacement NHL salary player at a minimum of $700,00. And now you need another warm body in the AHL, for a couple thousand.

There's no real money saving in buying him out. And he's not that bad that they can't just play him, so I would be quite surprised to see him bought out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #1296
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Do they though?

Sit Bouma all year in the pressbox and he makes 2.2M.

Buyout Bouma and he makes 66% of his contract, 1.45M (spread out over 2).

But now you need to sign or recall a replacement NHL salary player at a minimum of $700,00. And now you need another warm body in the AHL, for a couple thousand.

There's no real money saving in buying him out. And he's not that bad that they can't just play him, so I would be quite surprised to see him bought out.
The idea would be that the Flames are bringing in a replacement player regardless of whether they buyout Bouma or send him to the minors.

So if they buy him out, they save real money.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:18 PM   #1297
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buy outs don't really make sense on small contracts like Bouma's IMO. They burry him and get almost half the cap savings back and he can be called up if need be or maybe gets claimed buy someone who thinks he's the next Byron.

As for Stajan, if they really want to get rid of him, they could retain salary and even throw in a C level prospect for someone to take him. Unless they have something up their sleeve where a big ticket player is coming in, they seem to be in good shape cap wise.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:20 PM   #1298
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The idea would be that the Flames are bringing in a replacement player regardless of whether they buyout Bouma or send him to the minors.
But what's the point of bringing in a replacement forward for a pressbox player who's going to be worse than Bouma? No matter who that 14th forward is, he's going to be making $700,000 or more sitting in the pressbox most night, but you can just sit Bouma in the pressbox and treat him as that 14th forward. He has the qualities you're looking at as a 14th forward, at the very least, but he's just overpaid. There's very little reasoning to buyout Bouma unless you want him away from the team. Cash or cap space doesn't make sense. Unless they really want to keep a young forward up on the team for experience, but then most people here would be crying about why they are ruining that player by having him sit in the box...

Even doing it as a favour for Bouma doesn't quite make sense. Trade him to a team at 1.1M salary retention, assuming that a team interested in Bouma isn't a rival, there's not much reason not to. The Flames save more cap, future cap and actual cash in that move.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 02:21 PM   #1299
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
More
But will he be surprised though?
Old 06-29-2017, 02:45 PM   #1300
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Bouma

It's not $500,000 more..... buying him out saves $1.5 million on the cap this year.
Closed Thread