Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #1241
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Here's some context: between March 6 and March 25 last season, Raanta started 9 of 10 games, and the last 8 in a row. Definitely a starter's work load. In that stretch, he had collective sv% of .923.
He's played the opposite of a starters workload, MikeF. You showing a 19 day stat line has literally nothing to do with what you think you're proving.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 03:37 PM   #1242
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am amazed that the Rangers have let both Talbot and Raanta go, meanwhile Lundqvist is 35

Are they banking their future on Nell and Halversson?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:40 PM   #1243
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I am amazed that the Rangers have let both Talbot and Raanta go, meanwhile Lundqvist is 35

Yeah but they've acquired some respectable assets in exchange and if you're the organization that developed those two guys you're probably confident in being able to produce another one when you need one.

The Rags' current trajectory works for it right now.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #1244
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah but they've acquired some respectable assets in exchange and if you're the organization that developed those two guys you're probably confident in being able to produce another one when you need one.

I can't imagine there is a GM that has ever lived that thought that. Goalies are witchcraft, you don't just throw them away and assume you can create more.

Having a couple extra 2nd round picks in your pocket would be small consolation for having organizational goalie problems.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 03:52 PM   #1245
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

But how much of Talbot's success and Raanta's projected level of play have to do with NYR's prowess in developing goalies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #1246
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
He's played the opposite of a starters workload, MikeF. You showing a 19 day stat line has literally nothing to do with what you think you're proving.
Huh? I showed a 9 starts in 19 days stretch (9 games out of 10 for his team) where his sv% remained consistent with his season sv%. What I was trying to prove was that a heavier workload did not lead to poorer stats. How does the evidence I provided have nothing to do with what I was trying to prove?
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #1247
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If the Rangers thought Raanta was better than Lundqvist, Raanta would still be a Ranger
Or, If Lundqvist didn't have a NMC and a buyout proof contract Raanta may have been the one staying
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #1248
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Huh? I showed a 9 starts in 19 days (9 games out of 10 for his team) where his sv% remained consistent with his season sv%. What I was trying to prove was that a heavier workload did not lead to poorer stats. How does the evidence I provided have nothing to do with what I was trying to prove?
I think the disconnect is you don't understand what a starter's work load is. It's not arbitrary, it's not playing lots of games in a small period of time.

Statistics show that playing at a top starter level for 55+ games (or some number close to that) in a season is completely different than playing at a top starter level for a smaller number of games in a season.

Many, many back ups/prospects can put up strong/elite numbers while playing back up games played within a season. Whether those games are close together or spread apart has nothing to do with anything.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 04:14 PM   #1249
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the disconnect is you don't understand what a starter's work load is. It's not arbitrary, it's not playing lots of games in a small period of time.

Statistics show that playing at a top starter level for 55+ games (or some number close to that) in a season is completely different than playing at a top starter level for a smaller number of games in a season.

Many, many back ups/prospects can put up strong/elite numbers while playing back up games played within a season. Whether those games are close together or spread apart has nothing to do with anything.
For sure. Even this year, Johnson and Elliott when on their runs of playing great and starting lots of games. But neither can sustain it over a season
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #1250
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
For sure. Even this year, Johnson and Elliott when on their runs of playing great and starting lots of games. But neither can sustain it over a season
Exactly, which is why Brad Treliving went after a proven starter, not another goalie that has put up great numbers with less then a starters work load, and I suspect we will be singing his praises for doing so as the season progresses.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:45 PM   #1251
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Or, If Lundqvist didn't have a NMC and a buyout proof contract Raanta may have been the one staying
Neither of those things forced them to trade Raanta midway through his cap-friendly contract or stopped them from giving him a starter's workload.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:02 PM   #1252
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Rangers always have the advantage of most top players being receptive to joining them in free agency. Things are set up well for them as in a couple of year Cam Talbot will be UFA and they could overpay him to come back as the Oilers will be in tough to spend over $6 million for a goaltender.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #1253
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No, I understand that.

My subjective opinion was that Raanta looked better than Smith last year. To support that, I provided the only objective stats available - that his numbers overall were better than Lundquist's, and that his numbers didn't dip when he played a heavier workload. And FWIW, Rangers observers agreed that over the course of last season, he was overall the team's better goaltender:

Quote:
Raanta is pretty close to the textbook definition of an ideal back-up goaltender. When he was between the pipes he always gave the Rangers a chance to win. And on some nights last season he looked sharper than the Rangers Hall of Fame-bound goaltender.

There’s no other way to say it: Raanta was the team’s most consistent goalie during the 2016-17 regular season.
Nowhere did I say that I guaranteed that his numbers playing 60 games would be exactly what they were playing 29.

The problem seems to be either (1) people trying to put those words in my mouth, or (2) people taking the position that stats are irrelevant when analyzing the season a #2 goalie had.

Last edited by Mike F; 07-09-2017 at 05:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 06:26 PM   #1254
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Most teams have 2 goalies though , and they traded him and then ran out and grabbed Pavelec. Pretty bizarre, if they do in fact think he is starter material
Old 07-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #1255
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Most teams have 2 goalies though , and they traded him and then ran out and grabbed Pavelec. Pretty bizarre, if they do in fact think he is starter material
But most pay and play their clear #1 and they have little choice with using Lundquist, They also cleared out a tonne of cash in that trade with Stepan's $6.5m. Raanta was a UFA next year as well and likely would have been gone at the deadline or lost for nothing.

Last edited by Snuffleupagus; 07-10-2017 at 03:18 AM.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #1256
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
As in you think Smith is better than Raanta short term? Not in my opinion. Raanta put up better numbers than Lundquist the last two years for NYR, and Lundquist is better than Smith.
Goalie numbers are often a reflection of team defense. Raanta played for a good defensive team. Smith played for one of the worst teams in the league. Comparing their numbers straight up is pointless IMO. Not to mention backups often see the weaker teams in the league making their stats even more questionable in terms of translating to a starter

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 07-09-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #1257
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Goalie numbers are often a reflection of team defense. Raanta played for a good defensive team. Smith played for one of the worst teams in the league. Comparing their numbers straight up is pointless IMO.
Where did I compare Smith's numbers vs. Raanta's straight up?

I compared Raanta's vs. Lundquist's because they played behind the same defense.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:22 AM   #1258
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Goalie numbers are often a reflection of team defense. Raanta played for a good defensive team. Smith played for one of the worst teams in the league.
Well that's... not true. The Rangers are not a good defensive team. 22nd in unblocked shot attempts against, 23rd in scoring chances against, 28th in high danger chances against.

Just because the Rangers can score and have had great goaltending in Lundqvist, Talbot, and Raanta the past few years, doesn't make them a good defensive team. The last time they were great defensively was 2013-14.

The Coyotes were worse, but that shouldn't take away from Lundqvist, Talbot, or Raanta. They were good despite the Rangers, not because.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-10-2017 at 01:30 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:04 AM   #1259
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Where did I compare Smith's numbers vs. Raanta's straight up?

I compared Raanta's vs. Lundquist's because they played behind the same defense.
I've been trying to keep my mouth shut, but it's Lundqvist. Thanks!
vilzeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vilzeh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 08:21 AM   #1260
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sold on Smith, but I think he will provide solid enough goaltending for the Flames.

I would be concerned about his age and health. Because I wouldn't want Lack playing any games for me.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote