Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 06:50 AM   #11221
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
All this makes sense, but the two things that may determine whether RoR is a sabre or not is what is the return buffalo can get, and does RoR want to be a sabre?
Also, when do they think their window will open, and for how long, and how old will ROR be then (and will many of their kids then be RFAs that need contracts).

I don't have as much confidence as some that Dahlin immediately steps into a top 4 role.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #11222
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The underlying factor here is that ROR did not hold back during his end of season presser, he was very critical of the Buffalo organization and made it pretty clear he wasn't happy with what has been going on.

Does that mean he'll be traded? Nope

But one would think that Botterill has a tough decision to make when it comes to keeping him or selling him for equal assets back. They wont trade him for a bag of pucks but I can see them making a good hockey trade that keeps them competitive so long as it they get something in return (which we've all already assumed we'd have to give up)

He fits Peters mold to the T, hes probably the best 2nd line center available baring we somehow manage to land JT which moves Sean down to the "2nd" line if you will.

I think we'll do something big this offseason, no picks until the 4th and a roster that needs a shakeup as said by Brad himself. I hope its some much needed scoring depth in a top 6 role myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 09:07 AM   #11223
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbo View Post
I keep hearing and reading how much sense bringing Taveres to town would make for the Flames. Steinberg has brought it up, and there's a write up on Sportsnet talking about the fit. That would be a dream move, and could help this Flames team immensely. Make it happen!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
I saw that on Flames Nation, its very interesting in that all the teams have some flaws in terms of where JT wants to go. I still see him staying with the Islanders but I agree with Pat in that its more then a pipe dream.

For example if you have a look at San Jose, who seems to be everyones favourite pick as a destination, Logan Couture(who is one of the younger ones) is 29 now, Pavelski is 34, and some of the other guys are even older. I am not sure if Timo Meier or Thomas Hertl are as impressive as the Flames collection of younger players. Even Brett Burns is 33.

All the second round teams do not have any cap space, with the possible exception of Las Vegas.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #11224
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

There's been some smoke around O'Reilly with Calgary media for a month or so. Normally I'd write this off but the last thing they latched onto that had people raising their eyebrows was Bill Peters. They might be working off something here.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:37 AM   #11225
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
I saw that on Flames Nation, its very interesting in that all the teams have some flaws in terms of where JT wants to go. I still see him staying with the Islanders but I agree with Pat in that its more then a pipe dream.

For example if you have a look at San Jose, who seems to be everyones favourite pick as a destination, Logan Couture(who is one of the younger ones) is 29 now, Pavelski is 34, and some of the other guys are even older. I am not sure if Timo Meier or Thomas Hertl are as impressive as the Flames collection of younger players. Even Brett Burns is 33.

All the second round teams do not have any cap space, with the possible exception of Las Vegas.
Two other teams that have been mentioned for Tavares are the Canucks & the rangers.

I don't see any scenario where JT ends up a Flame.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:40 AM   #11226
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Two other teams that have been mentioned for Tavares are the Canucks & the rangers.

Both of whom are in rebuild mode, are they winning scenario's if he really wants a cup??
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UKflames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 09:45 AM   #11227
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Also, when do they think their window will open, and for how long, and how old will ROR be then (and will many of their kids then be RFAs that need contracts).

I don't have as much confidence as some that Dahlin immediately steps into a top 4 role.
Also true.

This is why I suspect if there is a deal for the Flames & Sabres to be made it's going to include Jankowski and a D prospect or maybe Brodie.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #11228
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All this makes sense, but the two things that may determine whether RoR is a sabre or not is what is the return buffalo can get, and does RoR want to be a sabre?
I think it goes without saying that of course anyone is on the table if the deal is right, but in terms of actively looking to move O'Reilly, I don't really see it anymore. Unless, as you suggest, he really does want out.

Quote:
But O'Reilly is 27. Maybe it's because he contributed as an 18 year old that people picture him as this grizzly veteran, but he's as close to Gaudreau's age as he is to Backlund. It's not like we're talking about Giordano or Stajan here.

Dahlin is 18
Mittelstadt is 19
Nylander is 19
Guhle is 20
Eichel is 21
Reinhart is 22
Ristolainen is 23
Ullmark is 24

In that next 4-5 year window, they can certainly afford to have a late 20's-early-30's O'Reilly playing the defensive shutdown "veteran." If not, they'll be looking for that exact player at the deadline when they do start to make noise.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #11229
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Canucks? lol on that. Rangers are also rebuilding.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 05-01-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:02 AM   #11230
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Canucks have 12 million coming off the books with the sedin's retiring. I know it's unpopular to say, but they have been stocking the cupboards for a while & could be competing for a spot in the next couple years. If they want to chase him, they'll be able to offer as much money as anyone.

That said, I think they have about as good a chance as the Flames do regarding Tavares.

Last edited by TOfan; 05-01-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #11231
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He is a d-man, so it may take a season or two for him to round into NHL form. But the universal consensus is he's an elite d-man, the likes of which hasn't been available in a long time. The Sabres are pretty safe in assuming he'll be in the top 4 by 2019-20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
Both of whom are in rebuild mode, are they winning scenario's if he really wants a cup??
I think fans overrate how much these choices are about winning a Cup. Sure, players don't want to go to a bad franchise that has little chance of winning. But other factors are in play. Money, obviously. But also the city's climate, lifestyle, travel during the season, proximity to family (or a spouse's family), and media scrutiny.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #11232
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sorry, I don't see any scenario where JT signs with the Canucks. Keep dreaming though. Oh maybe the Sedans will convince him to sign? no wait, there going back to Sweden.....

I could see Vegas though, depending on what they plan on next year and wether JT likes that destination from a hockey standpoint and otherwise

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 05-01-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #11233
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I think it goes without saying that of course anyone is on the table if the deal is right, but in terms of actively looking to move O'Reilly, I don't really see it anymore. Unless, as you suggest, he really does want out.

But O'Reilly is 27. Maybe it's because he contributed as an 18 year old that people picture him as this grizzly veteran, but he's as close to Gaudreau's age as he is to Backlund. It's not like we're talking about Giordano or Stajan here.

Dahlin is 18
Mittelstadt is 19
Nylander is 19
Guhle is 20
Eichel is 21
Reinhart is 22
Ristolainen is 23
Ullmark is 24

In that next 4-5 year window, they can certainly afford to have a late 20's-early-30's O'Reilly playing the defensive shutdown "veteran." If not, they'll be looking for that exact player at the deadline when they do start to make noise.
I figure they will be a contender in 4 years. It's not so much that ROR will be ancient, it's that they will have a much heavier payroll. All those guys will be looking for a decent RFA contract (except Eichel and he's already at $10M and Rasmus R who is over $5M). $7.5 is a lot for a "defensive shutdown veteran".
Old 05-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #11234
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Canucks have 12 million coming off the books with the sedin's retiring. I know it's unpopular to say, but they have been stocking the cupboards for a while & could be competing for a spot in the next couple years. If they want to chase him, they'll be able to offer as much money as anyone.

That said, I think they have about as good a chance as the Flames do regarding Tavares.
Tavares has been playing for a struggling team in the Islanders. There is NO WAY he goes to a team like Vancouver that is YEARS away from being competitive.

That's just a non-starter.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #11235
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If you don't think the New York Rangers aren't going to flip their rebuild around in about one year, you're not paying attention to how they do business.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #11236
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, I don't see any scenario where JT signs with the Canucks. Keep dreaming though.
Really? It wouldn't surprise me at all. Great place to live if you're rich. A pretty good group of young players on the upswing. They'll be able to pay him what he wants. The only downside is the travel.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:15 AM   #11237
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Tavares has been playing for a struggling team in the Islanders. There is NO WAY he goes to a team like Vancouver that is YEARS away from being competitive.

That's just a non-starter.
Just mentioning the possibilities.

The Canucks have cap space and a young nucleus. As I said, they probably have as much of a chance as the Flames do.

Regardless, the Canucks are well poised to improve this offseason, it would be foolish to think otherwise.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:24 AM   #11238
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, I don't see any scenario where JT signs with the Canucks. Keep dreaming though. Oh maybe the Sedans will convince him to sign? no wait, there going back to Sweden.....

I could see Vegas though, depending on what they plan on next year and wether JT likes that destination from a hockey standpoint and otherwise
You just proved my point. The sedins free up about 12 million in cap space. Add that to whatever else they have coming off the books. Can the Canucks replace Daniel and hank with Tavares and Kane? Rebuild over.

Last edited by TOfan; 05-01-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:26 AM   #11239
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It more comes down to how much money he wants. How many teams can actually offer him close to max and keep their young players? not many.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:26 AM   #11240
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe Buffalo will be distracted by the name and Rasmus Andersson could be a big piece of the ROR trade haha.
Closed Thread