Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #1021
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
Not in the field I am going for there's not much work.
People with pride don't care - they'll work in any field so they aren't sitting at home wasting their life.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #1022
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread is fun again.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #1023
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Guess there is no lack of crackwhores giving out handjobs behind Macs....
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #1024
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
As I have said before, I am not just going to apply to any job and the ones I have had sometimes up to 150 applicants. They only pick ONE person for the job and there's not a whole lot of jobs out there now-a-days. Have you looked in the classifieds. Ours is much thinner than it was back in like 2004 for example when I was out of work for 5 months due to a lay off back then. Just look at the crappy economy why.
You sound like the 85% of the people applying for the 10% of the jobs. If you have a sellable skill, which I highly doubt, you should be door knocking and selling your skills to companies you want to work for. Don't wait for the want ads in the classifieds.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #1025
Springs1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
People with pride don't care - they'll work in any field so they aren't sitting at home wasting their life.
Some jobs I truly such as part time I may be making more sitting at home LITERALLY than gone to work somewhere for real. It sucks they PENALIZE you for taking a part time job that you cannot add the wages to the wages they are giving you. They subtract them so let's say I am getting $200 hypothetically, if I make $200 doing a part time job, I just costs myself more gas and wear & tear as well as risking accidents to go work so I am actually going in the HOLE, understand? I could have stayed home and not spent my gas, wear n' tear, risking accident, etc. If they would let you ADD it to your wage, I would have gotten a part time job A LONNNGGG TIME AGO. They penalize you though so if you make your benefit amount, you don't get to get both what you made and the benefit amount.
Springs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #1026
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
People who truely want to work will do anything to get off unemployment. A job is a job and you can still look for one in your field in the meantime.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #1027
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
But the server can't, this is where *YOU* are wrong. The *********MANAGER OR OWNER********** MAKES THIS DECISION, so NO, ******YOU******** ARE WRONG!! The server has NOTHING to do with what you are saying here.
You might want to brush up on trespassing laws. Anyone under the employ of a business can request you leave the premises, and you are legally obligated to comply. There is no grey area. If you are causing a disturbance, you must leave at the request of any agent of the company. In any business siutation, customers are guests, and are trespassing the second they are asked to leave. I have been down this road numerous times with nutbars like you.

This is the Chain of command:

Chili's franchise owner
Chili's manager
Chili's Shift manager
Chili's bartender
Chili's Waiter
Chili's busboy
Chili's dishwaher
Chili's janitor
Chili's trainee
----------------------------anyone above this line can ask you to leave the premises and legally you have to comply.
Then it continues as follows:
Screaming baby in high chair.
Hobo foraging for half eaten Chimichangas in the dumpster.
Empty tub of Ranch dressing.
Moldy Potato skins.
Puddle of mop water in alley.
Springs1.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #1028
Springs1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
You sound like the 85% of the people applying for the 10% of the jobs. If you have a sellable skill, which I highly doubt, you should be door knocking and selling your skills to companies you want to work for. Don't wait for the want ads in the classifieds.
I called companies at least twice already them saying they weren't hiring all through the phone book. A couple of so did let me send my resume, but no call back, because they really weren't hiring.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #1029
Springs1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
People who truely want to work will do anything to get off unemployment. A job is a job and you can still look for one in your field in the meantime.
As I said, then if that job wants a 2-week notice and the employer wants to hire me RIGHT AWAY starting the next day, that won't work, will it? I would have just missed my chance to get what I was looking for to work at let's say a store or something.

Also, let's say I try the job out, it doesn't work out, so now I can't fall back on that old job I didn't get to give my 2 week notice. I am back in the same boat again.

So it's always easy to say if you are smart. Also, WHEN am I going to be able to go to interviews if THEIR only time is NOT when I am off, then that means I am putting that store job(let's say it's a store) job not in good standing missing work all the time that if I have to stay there, I won't get a good evaluation missing work constantly for interviews. You have all the answers, but you don't know SH**!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #1030
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
As I said, then if that job wants a 2-week notice and the employer wants to hire me RIGHT AWAY starting the next day, that won't work, will it? I would have just missed my chance to get what I was looking for to work at let's say a store or something.

Also, let's say I try the job out, it doesn't work out, so now I can't fall back on that old job I didn't get to give my 2 week notice. I am back in the same boat again.

So it's always easy to say if you are smart. Also, WHEN am I going to be able to go to interviews if THEIR only time is NOT when I am off, then that means I am putting that store job(let's say it's a store) job not in good standing missing work all the time that if I have to stay there, I won't get a good evaluation missing work constantly for interviews. You have all the answers, but you don't know SH**!
Sounds like you have a whole lot of excuses not to go back to work. What kinda of crappy work do you do, where a company isn't willing to give you 2 weeks to get your life in order and give adequate notice to start a new position?

If you are truly as valuable an employee, and as hard a worker as you say, any company would give you that latitude. We will give the right most talented candidate up to 6 weeks if need be.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #1031
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Employers will wait if they value the skill you are offering.

Quote:

You have a built in excuse for any advice I give you. You want iron clad gaurentees in life when there clearly isn't any. You must live a very sheltered life.

"Often the difference between a successful person and a failure is not one has better abilities or ideas, but the courage that one has to bet on one's ideas, to take a calculated risk - and to act."

Andre Malraux

Last edited by Dion; 06-08-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #1032
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

If a company really wants to hire you, they will wait the two weeks before you can start. Then again, I don't know why they would want to hire you.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #1033
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

U actually are not required to give "2 weeks" notice. You can quit a job at any time. The reasonable notice you give an employer is based on if you want to get paid. You aren't entitled to compensation if you quit without reasonable notice, but if you are moving to a better job "TODAY" then who cares.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #1034
Springs1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Sounds like you have a whole lot of excuses not to go back to work. What kinda of crappy work do you do, where a company isn't willing to give you 2 weeks to get your life in order and give adequate notice to start a new position?

If you are truly as valuable an employee, and as hard a worker as you say, any company would give you that latitude. We will give the right most talented candidate up to 6 weeks if need be.
Then why did I interview with a few employers that told me they were going to hire someone right away, huh?

Some will, some won't, but missing work at let's say a store job is not good, I could get FIRED for missing work. Do you realize if that ends up being my main job due to that this job search of what I am really looking for doesn't work out that it will be bad on my EVALUATION there? I am person that doesn't miss work often, so if they hire me thinking that my recommendation letter had that I had good attendance than don't, do you think that will be good for KEEPING THE JOB or getting raises or even them cutting my hours, huh?

For example, I have 2 interviews next week. I have to keep my schedule open for interviews. The employer isn't always going to be available at your time.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #1035
Springs1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
U actually are not required to give "2 weeks" notice. You can quit a job at any time. The reasonable notice you give an employer is based on if you want to get paid. You aren't entitled to compensation if you quit without reasonable notice, but if you are moving to a better job "TODAY" then who cares.
Morally, though, I have a CONSCIENCE not to do that, understand? That's not nice to do.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #1036
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Then why did I interview with a few employers that told me they were going to hire someone right away, huh?

Some will, some won't, but missing work at let's say a store job is not good, I could get FIRED for missing work. Do you realize if that ends up being my main job due to that this job search of what I am really looking for doesn't work out that it will be bad on my EVALUATION there? I am person that doesn't miss work often, so if they hire me thinking that my recommendation letter had that I had good attendance than don't, do you think that will be good for KEEPING THE JOB or getting raises or even them cutting my hours, huh?

For example, I have 2 interviews next week. I have to keep my schedule open for interviews. The employer isn't always going to be available at your time.
Everything in life is a risk. I dare you. Name one thing which is not a risk in life?
  • Take a step out of bed can be risky. You could slip and fall.
  • Bending over to pick up the morning newspaper can be risky. You could hurt your back.
  • Going to work can be risky. First, there is the drive and, then, who knows what could happen at the workplace. It is filled with all sorts of risk.
  • Sleeping at night can be risky. What if you don’t wake up…
Risk is everywhere, so we might as well get used to it.

As T.S. Eliot said: “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

Essentially, this is a true statement. “Going too far” may depend on the type of risk being pursued. However, life is filled with risk. We need to accept it. We need to deal with it. We need to embrace it… deliberately, fearlessly, smartly, and aggressively.

Taking the right risks moves our life forward. Sitting in fear leads to stalemate or, simply stated, a stale life.

http://www.thindifference.com/2011/0...he-right-type/

Last edited by Dion; 06-08-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: more added
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #1037
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Morally, though, I have a CONSCIENCE not to do that, understand? That's not nice to do.

In a job that you don't plan on making a career out of (ie retail store) they would be very naive to think that employee turnover would be low. Basically you have to hire with the notion that people are going quit tomorrow, so not given any notice would hurt.

Now if you went into that job interview for that retail job and lied about your intentions then it is a different story.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #1038
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Reading this thread makes me feel pretty good about myself. You're alright kid!
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #1039
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Reading this thread makes me feel pretty good about myself. You're alright kid!
you deserve a 15% tip
Old 06-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #1040
Springs1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
you deserve a 15% tip
Just for saying that, that's pretty generous of you for him putting much of no effort.