Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #1001
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brossoit is a machine. What a great pick.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #1002
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wotherspoon is a +47 on the season so far. Seth Jones is only a +32. Pouliot is a +31.

He's only 7 points behind them too.

What a pick. In my opinion he was also one of Canada's best d-men in the World Juniors. Maybe not THE best, but was 1 or 2 for Canada.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #1003
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A note on Granlund who just look at his stats, though he isn't scoring at the pace he was last year, the team as a whole is rather bad. He's one of four guys who aren't a minus (he's +5). He's third in team scoring (leader is at 30 points) with 24 points.

Anyone know if he will come to the AHL next year or stay in Finland again? My assumption is he comse to the AHL if we can fit him in the top 6 as Mikael is over here now. If we can't he stays in Finland.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:55 PM   #1004
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sieloff having okay first period. Spits down 3-1 after one.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #1005
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spits tied 5-5 end of two. Pete's 4th goal, totally on Sieloff, but he's played much better since.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #1006
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spits ended up losing 7-5. Sieloff, a few glaring errors tonight, but not a bad game. He's not playing the same physical game lately that he was earlier in the year. He had a lot of ice time tonight.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 PM   #1007
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elson had 2 goals, an assist, and was named first star.
MacKinnon had a goal, 2 assists, and was named second star.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #1008
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Elson had 2 goals, an assist, and was named first star.
MacKinnon had a goal, 2 assists, and was named second star.
Hahaha I see what you did there...
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #1009
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Hahaha I see what you did there...
I thought that was pretty funny myself (but I still looked up the Halifax game last night to see if I was missing something.)

On a related note, how does MacKinnon compare with Hopkins, Hall, etc. at the same age? I think he's right up there.

An Oiler friend of mine has told me a couple of times this past year that he would have rather have had MacKinnon than Yakupov if Nate were available last year.

I know this post probably reads like something that should be found on last night's post-game thread with the rest of the doom and gloom, but if the wheels really do fall off for the Flames this year, and they do draft number one, it will be interesting who they'd pick: Jones or MacKinnon.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #1010
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

MacKinnon - please!

I haven't really watched him other than World Juniors, but if he is anything as exciting a player to watch as Hall was, it would be great to have a player like that on the Flames.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #1011
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post
I thought that was pretty funny myself (but I still looked up the Halifax game last night to see if I was missing something.)

On a related note, how does MacKinnon compare with Hopkins, Hall, etc. at the same age? I think he's right up there.

An Oiler friend of mine has told me a couple of times this past year that he would have rather have had MacKinnon than Yakupov if Nate were available last year.

I know this post probably reads like something that should be found on last night's post-game thread with the rest of the doom and gloom, but if the wheels really do fall off for the Flames this year, and they do draft number one, it will be interesting who they'd pick: Jones or MacKinnon.
I remember reading a while back that MacKinnon was the best prospect since Stamkos. Not sure if that is still true (especially when you consider that Jones caught him/surpassed him on many lists). To answer your question, he WAS supposed to be much better than Hall and Hopkins, but I guess we will have to wait and see if he really will be.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #1012
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

MacKinnon is young for his draft year. Pretty much 2 years younger than Yakupov, a year younger than Jones. I don't know if he'll put up the same kind of career points as RNH, though.

I think he'll definitely be better than Hall and Yakupov. He reminds me of Seguin, but with elite skating ability. He'll be the most entertaining player, and he's not soft.

I'm starting to believe Jones will be first overall, though. Still, if we do finish last ( ), odds are we wouldn't pick first anyway.

The top 4 for this years draft is off the charts. I might be tempted to take Drouin first if we didn't already have Sven and Gaudreau.

And if we're bad this year, we'll likely be bad next year. For the 2014 draft, Sam Reinhart plays a similar game to RNH, and Aaron Ekblad is already a man amongst boys.

Last edited by Ashasx; 02-01-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #1013
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
MacKinnon is young for his draft year. Pretty much 2 years younger than Yakupov, a year younger than Jones. I don't know if he'll put up the same kind of career points as RNH, though.

I think he'll definitely be better than Hall and Yakupov. He reminds me of Seguin, but with elite skating ability. He'll be the most entertaining player, and he's not soft.

I'm starting to believe Jones will be first overall, though. Still, if we do finish last ( ), odds are we wouldn't pick first anyway.

The top 4 for this years draft is off the charts. I might be tempted to take Drouin first if we didn't already have Sven and Gaudreau.

And if we're bad this year, we'll likely be bad next year. For the 2014 draft, Sam Reinhart plays a similar game to RNH, and Aaron Ekblad is already a man amongst boys.

RE Ekblad, he really is.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #1014
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I wonder if this is a year where a team could have the first pick overall, and trade down a pick or two, pick another pick or two, and still get the player they genuinely wanted.

Sam Reinhart is already in his third year of junior (2nd full year), and he still won't be drafted until 2014. That's a lot of miles on bus. (He's probably wishing he could get drafted this year)

Last edited by Johnny Rotten; 02-01-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #1015
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The top 4-5 picks this year are better than Yakupov IMO. Jones looks like a true #1 defenseman. MacKinnon is a very exciting pick.

Would be a great year for the Flames to get their first top 5 pick in frachise history. I think the lineup is too good for that too happen though unless they miss the playoffs and get a lucky lottery win.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #1016
KOgear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I though Drouin looked much better than Mackinnon in the World juniors. I would pick Drouin over Mackinnon
KOgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #1017
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOgear View Post
I though Drouin looked much better than Mackinnon in the World juniors. I would pick Drouin over Mackinnon
You'd take a winger over a center who is consistently evaluated as a better player and is a position we are incredibly poor at, based on a week long tournament?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #1018
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No contest, IMO.

I don't care how good the player is at 18 and how many points they got in the CHL. I care what kind of NHLer they are going to be.

MacKinnon is big, smart, and skates like the wind. I believe he is gong to be a true franchise C. And the general scouting opinion is that he may be the best since Crosby.

Jones is a true elite talent defensively and some think maybe the best D prospect since Niedermayer (though you have to wonder how much of his dominance is a result of his size - like Phaneuf)

You never know of course, but the 'potential' for both of these guys isn't just #1 for their draft year - both of these guys are considered very special.

And like FDW said: the first 3 or 4 are all elite and worthy of #1 status in a less crowded year.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #1019
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I love the way Drouin plays.

And I know, you have to take the BPA.

But the fact of the matter is the Flames' two top prospects - by a long shot - are both LWs. Do we really want to have 3 elite LW prospects and still no Cs?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #1020
Mitch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Drouin played 2nd line minutes and Mackinnon played 4th line minutes.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 , 2013 , heat , prospects , statistics