Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #61
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If he can get back to 35-40 points and be a little more physical he will earn his pay cheque. Down year for sure, but that's with a new team and an untimely injury.

There is a reason he was given an A before even playing a game for the team. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but I'm willing to defer to the coaching staff on his leadership capability
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #62
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lets just say Jagr was still available for the Flames for a one year contract. The most I would trade to part with Brouwer:

Brouwer + Kulak + Mangiapane

That way the Flames could ice a roster such as:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Jagr
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Bennett - Lazar
Jankowski - Stajan - Versteeg

You can't tell me you'd prefer to have a 4.5 million dollar player with several years left on his contract anchoring the 4th line for 10 mins a night.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #63
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Lets just say Jagr was still available for the Flames for a one year contract. The most I would trade to part with Brouwer:

Brouwer + Kulak + Mangiapane

That way the Flames could ice a roster such as:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Jagr
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Bennett - Lazar
Jankowski - Stajan - Versteeg

You can't tell me you'd prefer to have a 4.5 million dollar player with several years left on his contract anchoring the 4th line for 10 mins a night.

Maybe not but I can tell you that I'm not willing to give up Kulak and Eat Bread to get rid of a player that brings leadership intangibles and IMO will have a much better season than last year.

Also there is a reason why Jagr hasn't signed anywhere yet. The guy skates in molasses.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #64
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We should have bought him out when we had the chance with the buyout window after Ferland signed.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #65
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
We should have bought him out when we had the chance with the buyout window after Ferland signed.
I think everyone wanted him selected in the Vegas draft. It's funny now that Engelland was selected instead, the large amount of cognitive dissonance observed regarding Brouwer. Now that we're stuck with him, all of a sudden he "brings leadership and intangibles" and "will bounce back". 4 weeks ago people couldn't part ways with him fast enough.

But I think a buyout would've hurt the team with so many years left. I think a buyout after next season is more realistic.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #66
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Treliving is patient enough to know that an early buyout is just a knee-jerk and panic reaction. He did his homework on Brouwer and knows one season of below expectations results ( due to injury, adjustment issues etc) is no reason to pull the plug.

I am not saying there are not some concerns, but there is also enough experience at the rudder to know that sometimes you just have to stay the course.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #67
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I think everyone wanted him selected in the Vegas draft. It's funny now that Engelland was selected instead, the large amount of cognitive dissonance observed regarding Brouwer. Now that we're stuck with him, all of a sudden he "brings leadership and intangibles" and "will bounce back". 4 weeks ago people couldn't part ways with him fast enough.

But I think a buyout would've hurt the team with so many years left. I think a buyout after next season is more realistic.
Thing is we could have bought him out after Ferland filed for arbitration and then signed. Would have saved 3 million in cap space.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:56 AM   #68
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thing is we could have bought him out after Ferland filed for arbitration and then signed. Would have saved 3 million in cap space.
But 6 more years of having to payout that massive a buyout??? Yuck!

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout_c...rouwer#results

Last edited by Karl; 07-18-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 09:57 AM   #69
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the prudent and level headed decision is to figure out if Brouwer can return to his career form, or if last season was the start of a sudden decline. That is an assessment you can't make until the season starts. So let it play out and then go from there.
Trying to dump him now means you either taking a buyout hit or having to convince him and pay assets to trade him to someone else.
So the most positive course of action is to give him a chance to rebound.
Guys rebound all the time.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #70
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How often do 32 year olds rebound?
Old 07-18-2017, 10:01 AM   #71
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
I think the prudent and level headed decision is to figure out if Brouwer can return to his career form, or if last season was the start of a sudden decline. That is an assessment you can't make until the season starts. So let it play out and then go from there.
Trying to dump him now means you either taking a buyout hit or having to convince him and pay assets to trade him to someone else.
So the most positive course of action is to give him a chance to rebound.
Guys rebound all the time.
"Prudent" and "level headed" does not seem to be the modus operandi for this thread. Your sensible thoughts will not get much traction among the myopic propagandists who are convinced that Troy Brouwer is the devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 10:02 AM   #72
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The odds may be against him rebounding, but the team is stuck with him. So no choice but to find out whether he will (or won't) rebound.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:04 AM   #73
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
How often do 31-year-olds halve their average production in a single season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #74
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
After one bad season marred by an injury.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #75
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

whoever said Brouwer is a year long and a million high was spot on. That doesn't warrant buying out at this time.

He will rebound, the question is how far. Back to a 35 point player would be fine for a contract that is a little too expensive. You don't want 6 years of issues in a window.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 10:08 AM   #76
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

People were complaining about the three year cap hit on the Raymond buyout, can you imagine the incessant ranting on a six year Brouwer buyout?
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #77
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
and some people want to replace him with a 40 year old. I also think it would have been a bad move to bad him out after a single season. With him we will probably be sitting in the middle third of the league in terms of cap space.

You play out this year and see where you stand since his value can not be any lower than it is now. Worst case you buy him once Raymond is completely off the cap, one of the two year of Bouma, and the buyout penalty is reduced 2 years.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:29 AM   #78
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
How often do 31-year-olds halve their average production in a single season?
A lot of players hit a sudden wall and never recover. Without looking exactly half their points and being exactly 31yrs old, I can name the following off the top of my head:

Dave Bollland
David Clarkson
Mike Richards
Rene Bourque
Mason Raymond
Jonathan Cheechoo
Alex Semin
Dan Giradi
Scott Gomez
Shawn Horcoff

To name a few
Old 07-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #79
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
"Prudent" and "level headed" does not seem to be the modus operandi for this thread. Your sensible thoughts will not get much traction among the myopic propagandists who are convinced that Troy Brouwer is the devil.
There are some 'Myopic propagandists' spouting early buyouts and trade assets to get rid of him, and there are people stating rational, thought out opinions. I believe the fact that he will never live up to his contract, I think his intangeables are overstated/overrated and will probably be a buyout candidate in his final season but not before and could be a functioning 3rd liner if he can bounce back. What's myopic about that? Or are we supposed to be drones?

Last edited by Samonadreau; 07-18-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #80
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
There are some 'Myopic propagandists' spouting early buyouts and trade assets to get rid of him, and there are people stating rational, thought out out opinions. I believe the fact that he will never live up to his contract, I think his intangeables are overstated/overrated and will probably be a buyout candidate in his final season but not before and could be a functioning 3rd liner if he can bounce back. What's myopic about that? Or are we supposed to be drones?
I wouldn't pay attention to such comments. Nobody called Brouwer the devil. Such hyperboles and rhetoric spewed off in the same post as one calling others propagandists and myopic is not worth giving a second thought