Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #741
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Semi related question:

Found out that I have a fair bit of snow that's now compacted in some very hard ice inside my tire rims as a result of a little incident with a snow bank.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of it other than a blow dryer and an extension cord?
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #742
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

go to the car wash and pressure wash it out.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #743
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

From the weather thread, go shopping while parking in the lower level at Chinook (or Bankers on the weekend or some other heated parking).
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #744
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drink a bunch of water, coffee and beer. Then apply the yellow de-icing solution
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #745
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Drink a bunch of water, coffee and beer. Then apply the yellow de-icing solution
I feel like just the beer would be enough for that.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #746
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Semi related question:

Found out that I have a fair bit of snow that's now compacted in some very hard ice inside my tire rims as a result of a little incident with a snow bank.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of it other than a blow dryer and an extension cord?
All my rims were full of snow after a fun day of bouncing through snow drifts (gotta live up to my name). Then driving home on Tuesday, got up to 80kph, and my truck was shaking like the wheels were coming off. The snow in the rims were clearly affecting the balance of my wheels. Quick stop at the car wash, and all was well.

You might want to sacrifice a good looking car to avoid frozen locks, though. Only spray out the snow inside your rims. Don't attempt to fully wash your car, and then go and park it outside overnight. Your handles and locks will be frozen, and might break if you try too hard to open them. Your car will look stupid, but you'll feel stupid if you have to go get a new door handle.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #747
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Pro-tip: If you wash your wheels in freezing conditions to remove the imbalance, drag your brakes for a while to heat them up after the wash. That way you don't find frozen brakes when you go to leave in the morning.

If you are in the middle of no where and can't get the snow out of the wheels, in a pinch you can drag the brakes and the radiant heat will help melt the snow inside the rim.

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 12-20-2013 at 09:46 AM.
BlackArcher101 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackArcher101 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #748
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

also if you wash your car in cold weather, turn your heat on high and leave your doors slightly ajar, on the last catch and open and close them a bunch of times before parking, so they don't freeze. It worked for me although no guarantees.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #749
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Our parts manager brought in some obscure winter tires I have never heard of before, Gislaved Nordfrost 100's. Knowing nothing about them, never hearing of them, and without researching them I did what I normally do with things.... bought them and promptly had them installed them on my car.

Holy crap these things are ridiculously grippy. I have had everything from Nokian Hakkapellita's to Pirelli Snow Sports, to Michelin Pilot Alpens, and I have never had a grippier winter tire.

I then did my research, and they are a German made Continental Group tire, and have a bit of a cult following in Europe. So I can add it to the list of obscure, weirdo, impossible to spell tire brands I have had on my cars. Would definitely recommend.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #750
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Gislaved sure doesn't sound german. So in that I googled and their site says they are Swedish. What am I missing pylon?
And it's called NordFrost. seems more swedish than german.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #751
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Continental group bought them out a while back (1992). And the tire stickers said 'Made in Germany". I am guessing they just make them in a Conti factory, and use a different mold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gislaved_%28tires%29

http://www.gislaved-tires.com/genera...istory_en.html
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2014, 01:50 PM   #752
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Figured this was better than posting a new thread for a simple question.

Just got new tires (All Seasons --> All Weather) put on this week, and I just now had a thought that you are supposed to tighten the lug nuts after driving it for a while whenever a tire is removed.

Is that a thing, or does only apply is you are not putting them on with an air gun?

edit: Btw, these All-Weather tires are amazing. My All Seasons were bad in the extreme cold, but I drive so little that it took a lot for me to finally make the switch.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #753
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Figured this was better than posting a new thread for a simple question.

Just got new tires (All Seasons --> All Weather) put on this week, and I just now had a thought that you are supposed to tighten the lug nuts after driving it for a while whenever a tire is removed.

Is that a thing, or does only apply is you are not putting them on with an air gun?

edit: Btw, these All-Weather tires are amazing. My All Seasons were bad in the extreme cold, but I drive so little that it took a lot for me to finally make the switch.
It surely is a thing. Just ask me, I had a wheel fall off because I was too stupid to check them after a while. I usually do it after driving for a week and periodically every few months (paranoid now). You can either stop by a shop and they'll run out with the torque wrench to do it for free, or DIY at home.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #754
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, you're supposed to re-tourque them after about 250km. Especially with alloy wheels, the bolts (or nuts) sometimes settle loose. It's a safety thing; I think I've caught one that became "under torqued" over the past 10 years on my vehicles. An airgun is not a torque wrench, a reputable shop would have done a final hand torque to the correct amount.

Last edited by Ironhorse; 01-10-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #755
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I just bought a used AWD CRV. the tires are all seasons and the tread depth is at 6 32nds, does those need to be replaced, or are those hypothetically going to be ok for a few seasons?
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #756
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothpops View Post
I just bought a used AWD CRV. the tires are all seasons and the tread depth is at 6 32nds, does those need to be replaced, or are those hypothetically going to be ok for a few seasons?
You're good in the summer, in the winter you know what you should do...

GreatWhiteEbola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #757
Wronskian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not sure if mentioned earlier but just curious what people pay to have winter tires put on when you have to move the tires off the rims?
Wronskian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #758
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wronskian View Post
Not sure if mentioned earlier but just curious what people pay to have winter tires put on when you have to move the tires off the rims?
$20 each corner.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #759
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothpops View Post
Depends on what the tire started with for depth. What size and type are they? 6/32nd's could be half gone. Theoretically they could last two more years, but will they be ok in winter? Who knows. Deep snow traction and slush is hindered with lower tread depths. Traction on ice such as a day like today is dependent on tread pattern and somewhat on the brand.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #760
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

the tire size is 225/65/R17, all seasons, no idea what tread depth they started at
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote