Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #741
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I would think a lot of the teams sniffing around Versteeg would like him on the cheap considering his last deal. Doubt any of them are ponying up a multi year $4M+ offer. Flames will be very much in the mix at a reasonable rate I would guess.

All things being equal (and they are likely to be very close) he would probably choose Calgary.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #742
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
Didn't he originally come to Alberta to be closer to home? I would think the Flames have the upper hand in this unless some team massively overpays.
To be fair he only came back to Alberta after he failed the medical exam to get insurance with the Swiss team he signed with.

Would he prefer to play in Alberta, sure, but that doesn't mean he will not go after a bigger payday if it is out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 10:36 AM   #743
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Rick Ralph @RickRalphTSN
I'm told UFA goaltender Brian Elliott has been making tentative accommodation plans for Winnipeg. He's on the #nhljets radar.
Not a surprise. It's basically only Winnipeg and Philadelphia where Elliot has a chance of playing 40+ games.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:39 AM   #744
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Over a dozen calls on 25 yr old Jordan Weal. He's on a tour this week and is expected to visit the Canucks. North Van kid. Could be a good fit.

I wonder if the Flames are one of the "dozen". Right-shooting natural centre but one who is also comfortable on both wings as well - particular right wing. 5'10 180 so a bit undersized by centre standards, but he is a waterbug out there with decent speed, too.
He's put up monster offensive numbers at every level but always been passed over due to size. AHL playoff MVP in 2015 when the Monarchs won the Calder Cup. No question he brings offensive flair and skill, but can he contribute in all three zones?
Extreme sample size warning, but he put up good results - both counting and advanced - during his time with the Flyers, albeit with heavy offensive zone starts.

Could be a low-cost, low-risk, high-reward signing and if anything would add to our bleak right-shooting forward ranks.

Last edited by united; 06-26-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:40 AM   #745
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The last 3 years Versteeg has 14, 15 and 15 goals with point totals in the high 30's. More or less the model of consistency. Someone is giving him a multi year deal IMO and I'd prefer flames look for a bargain when the dust settles. If he is still around, then sign him.
Would like to see Versteeg re-sign with the Flames - liked his consistency, compete level, etc., but to do so another contract may need to be moved.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #746
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Over a dozen calls on 25 yr old Jordan Weal. He's on a tour this week and is expected to visit the Canucks. North Van kid. Could be a good fit.

I wonder if the Flames are one of the "dozen". Right-shooting natural centre but one who is also comfortable on both wings as well - particular right wing. 5'10 180 so a bit undersized by centre standards, but he is a waterbug out there with decent speed, too.
He's put up monster offensive numbers at every level but always been passed over due to size. AHL playoff MVP in 2015 when the Monarchs won the Calder Cup. No question he brings offensive flair and skill, but can he contribute in all three zones?
Extreme sample size warning, but he put up good results - both counting and advanced - during his time with the Flyers, albeit with heavy offensive zone starts.

Could be a low-cost, low-risk, high-reward signing and if anything would add to our bleak right-shooting forward ranks.

Yes please. Could be another Marchessault (could also be another Vey) but worth a gamble IMO.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #747
Braden
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'd like to see versteeg re-signed aswell but would NEED to e at the right price ~2mill 2 years tops, or personally I'd rather see iginla brought back, I feel they both would bring something very similar. What about bringing in a Stanley cup champion in Trevor Daley to play in that 5th roll? Left hand shot gives Andersson a natural partner. I get he is pretty injury prone but playing sheltered 3rd line minutes could help prevent that. He made 3.3 at 33 years old, say maybe a 2 year at ~2.5m or so? Gathering the pens don't resign him of course
Old 06-26-2017, 11:30 AM   #748
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Flip Sbisa? The guy is garbage, did he mean flip Luca's pizza?

IMO the Flames should go hard after Neal, he'd be a perfect fit and just what this forward group needs.
I would have loved Neal but after what we gave up acquiring Smith and Hamonic, I can't see us working out a deal with the Knights.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #749
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hope we're in on Weal. Would like to see Stone and Versteeg back in the fold as well.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:39 AM   #750
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jaromir Jagr was better than a Point-per-year player last year - 46 points at 45 years old.

Can we please sign Jaromir Jagr.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:41 AM   #751
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Jaromir Jagr was better than a Point-per-year player last year - 46 points at 45 years old.

Can we please sign Jaromir Jagr.
It takes two to tango. Not sure Jagr at his age would want any part of the Western travel schedule
Old 06-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #752
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
It takes two to tango. Not sure Jagr at his age would want any part of the Western travel schedule
Awe, C'mon Jags. Do it for a year.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #753
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Awe, C'mon Jags. Do it for a year.
Did anyone actually watch him play last year? He has lost not just one step, but like 3 or 4 steps. He is slower than Iginla, and bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Incogneto For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #754
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

With the Flames luck with older players, Jagr would mail it in. Would much rather have Iginla if we were to sign a dinosaur.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #755
Blarg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The plus with signing Jagr, is the Traveling Jagrs will not only have to add a member, but they also won't have to travel
Old 06-26-2017, 11:55 AM   #756
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - X
Tkachuk - Bennett - X
X - Backlund - Frolik
Stajan - Jankowski - X
Freddie

That's how I see the skeleton of our forward corps as of now going into next season. Ferland, Lazar and (unfortunately) Brouwer will definitely account for three of those open spots for next season. I just can't see there being room for Weal and Versteeg. I think we have room for one more RW, whether that be Marleau, Foo, Williams, Versteeg, Weal, Neal or someone else.
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #757
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Gaudreau - Monahan - X
Tkachuk - Bennett - X
X - Backlund - Frolik
Stajan - Jankowski - X
Freddie

That's how I see the skeleton of our forward corps as of now going into next season. Ferland, Lazar (and unfortunately) Brouwer will definitely account for three of those open spots for next season. I just can't see there being room for Weal and Versteeg. I think we have room for one more RW, whether that be Marleau, Williams, Versteeg, Weal, Neal or someone else.
I am not so sure the Flames won't keep Chiasson which leaves zero empty spots and Bouma as well who I see as the 13th forward over Freddie (unless Freddie makes Dougie better)
Old 06-26-2017, 11:59 AM   #758
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Gaudreau - Monahan - X
Tkachuk - Bennett - X
X - Backlund - Frolik
Stajan - Jankowski - X
Freddie

That's how I see the skeleton of our forward corps as of now going into next season. Ferland, Lazar and (unfortunately) Brouwer will definitely account for three of those open spots for next season. I just can't see there being room for Weal and Versteeg. I think we have room for one more RW, whether that be Marleau, Foo, Williams, Versteeg, Weal, Neal or someone else.
Only change I could see is if they want to ease Jankowski in on the wing with Backlund/Frolik.

They have started Tkachuk and Bennett on that line in recent years so could see them going for that again.

Means that Stajan-Lazar then become that pairing on the 4th line.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:10 PM   #759
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Wild didn't make a QO to Christian Folin. Could be an interesting depth option at D.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #760
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

and Nail Yakupov not extended a QO by the Blues.
Closed Thread