Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2024, 09:37 PM   #581
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Babe Schneider
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:53 PM   #582
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Turner has been the MVP so far. Crazy.

Schneider needs to be given more at-bats.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nieuwy-89 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 10:07 PM   #583
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Just caught the last bit.

Crazy plays.

Delayed steal of second.

Pickoff at third after delayed steal.

Weird outfield angle coming into play.

Last out homer.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:06 PM   #584
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
If the Blue Jay's can finish this road trip with a. 500 record you call it a success.
You don't have to call it a success - it is a success!

Start the season on the road in Tampa, Houston and NY for 10 games, go 5-5, that is a very successful road trip. Especially when you look at some of the injuries to the pitching staff.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 11:07 PM   #585
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty wild game, and I would say the Astros lost it, more than the Jays won it. But one clutch hit is often all it takes. And did they ever get one huge clutch hit!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 11:12 PM   #586
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

It's like the ghosts of trashcan's past were all over the field tripping up the Astros tonight. Not surprising that Altuve would get it the worst.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:40 PM   #587
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Belt still hasn't signed anywhere. I think they should move the new slimmer Vladdy to third (which he played in the minors) and sign Belt and have him play 1B. All that said it does look like Turner is an upgrade on Belt with the results so far - I wasn't sure that would be true but he has definitely impressed.

I think ultimately they needed to add offense and just didn't. This game went better because they played Schneider in left field instead of Varsho. Even if you say Varsho would have caught that weird flyback where the left field wall jogs that doesn't change the game because he didn't score.

But does anyone think Varsho hits a clutch HR to win the game with 2 outs in the 9th?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:09 AM   #588
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Belt still hasn't signed anywhere. I think they should move the new slimmer Vladdy to third (which he played in the minors) and sign Belt and have him play 1B. All that said it does look like Turner is an upgrade on Belt with the results so far - I wasn't sure that would be true but he has definitely impressed.

I think ultimately they needed to add offense and just didn't. This game went better because they played Schneider in left field instead of Varsho. Even if you say Varsho would have caught that weird flyback where the left field wall jogs that doesn't change the game because he didn't score.

But does anyone think Varsho hits a clutch HR to win the game with 2 outs in the 9th?
Vladdy has turned into a pretty darn good first baseman, I feel like your move just creates more problems for the team. I just don’t see him ever playing third again, the movement just isn’t good enough.

To answer your question, no. I don’t see varsho getting a clutch hit in the 9th, I barely see him getting a hit let alone a clutch one.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:18 AM   #589
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching the highlights was increasingly frustrating. Didn’t like Turner hitting a clear double but only getting to first to set up a double play. Then after the game I realised how frustrating that must have been for Astros fans. Get an early lead with great pitching only to fail multiple times to score insurance runs and blow it in the 9th.

Gotta love baseball where one swing can completely change a game. Anytime a Jay hits a top of the 9th 2 run homer to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat I get an Ed Sprague flashback.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 04-03-2024 at 06:21 AM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:08 AM   #590
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Watching the highlights was increasingly frustrating. Didn’t like Turner hitting a clear double but only getting to first to set up a double play. Then after the game I realised how frustrating that must have been for Astros fans. Get an early lead with great pitching only to fail multiple times to score insurance runs and blow it in the 9th.

Gotta love baseball where one swing can completely change a game. Anytime a Jay hits a top of the 9th 2 run homer to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat I get an Ed Sprague flashback.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:34 AM   #591
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post

For sure frustrating for the Astros fans. The only "hit" they got with RISP was the one that hit the runner between second and third ending the inning. Checked out R/Astros, and someone pointed out that their bullpen has lost every game they've appeared in this season.

I don't think Turner was much of a problem yesterday. He is slow, but he also went 3 for 3 plus a walk. It isn't his fault he was the only one not hitting ground balls off the starter.

I think the bigger issue is at this point Varsho is getting playing time he shouldn't. Whether that's to avoid showing how bad that trade was or they really believe in his defense I'm not sure. But they're 2-0 when Schneider starts in left and 1-3 when Varsho does. Both have 2 hits, but Schneider has only had 8 AB while Varsho has had 17. There's also the small matter that Varsho's hits are both singles while Schneider's are both HR. Small sample size obviously, but it's getting hard to argue Varsho has earned that spot over Schneider. Could also start giving KK days off - I think it's OK to have one glove-first outfielder in CF, but I think two of them sacrifices too much offense.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:17 PM   #592
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
For sure frustrating for the Astros fans. The only "hit" they got with RISP was the one that hit the runner between second and third ending the inning. Checked out R/Astros, and someone pointed out that their bullpen has lost every game they've appeared in this season.

I don't think Turner was much of a problem yesterday. He is slow, but he also went 3 for 3 plus a walk. It isn't his fault he was the only one not hitting ground balls off the starter.

I think the bigger issue is at this point Varsho is getting playing time he shouldn't. Whether that's to avoid showing how bad that trade was or they really believe in his defense I'm not sure. But they're 2-0 when Schneider starts in left and 1-3 when Varsho does. Both have 2 hits, but Schneider has only had 8 AB while Varsho has had 17. There's also the small matter that Varsho's hits are both singles while Schneider's are both HR. Small sample size obviously, but it's getting hard to argue Varsho has earned that spot over Schneider. Could also start giving KK days off - I think it's OK to have one glove-first outfielder in CF, but I think two of them sacrifices too much offense.
They believe in Varsho's defense so much that after he pinch ran for Turner, they him in the game to play LF over Schneider. This means the pitcher has to hit 5th for the rest of the game.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:00 PM   #593
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...s-dodgers-cubs

Sounds about right
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:43 PM   #594
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Yup!
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:39 PM   #595
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Schneids has been cut out of tonight's lineups despite the big game last night. Jays nation going wild! Coach says they are trying to be consistent with their lineup.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 05:27 PM   #596
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
The Schneids has been cut out of tonight's lineups despite the big game last night. Jays nation going wild! Coach says they are trying to be consistent with their lineup.
Lefty-righty is more important to this management team than winning baseball games. We saw that in the wild card game 2 last year, and nothing has changed.
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 05:34 PM   #597
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Minor league manager making minor league decisions.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 05:36 PM   #598
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lefty-righty is more important to this management team than winning baseball games. We saw that in the wild card game 2 last year, and nothing has changed.
Maybe they'll pull Berios again in the best game he's ever played this post season...
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 05:38 PM   #599
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with management in this case. This was bound to happen when you don’t have daily quality dedicated position players though. So now they want some level of consistency but the quality isn’t there. Schneider isn’t all that impressive normally so I’m not too torn about him being there for one game based on one hit. There’s a quality position player problem and so they’re trying to force it now by doubling down on these border bench players. But I don’t blame them for doing this because we’ve heard in the past players don’t like being moved around and not getting used to a particular position.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:10 PM   #600
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Over/under 0.5 runs and 2.5 hits for the bluebirds tonight?
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote