Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2013, 03:56 AM   #41
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hopefully Glencross and Jackman sit tomorrow and Cammalleri (if cleared) and Horak play.

As much as I want to see Jackman gone, I'd rather Glencross be scratched instead for his abysmal play to start the season

Also: SOB > Butler
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #42
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post

2) SOB has been anything but quiet. Every game he has made a serious attempt to lead the rush, or make a drop pass in the o-zone, or throw down a spin-o-rama, etc. These have been mostly harmless, in that they don't succeed, but don't seem to end up in the Flames' net either. I'd almost be tempted to give him a little bit of rope and see if he can execute a little bit of a two-way game.
This is why I don't really like him. To me he's attempting to do things that he can't pull off, and then he's way out of position & leaves Butler hung out to dry. His awareness & hockey smarts are way below par, and pairing him with Butler makes Butler look even worse than he is. I would rather see S.O.B. play a simple game & stick to what he's good at, rather than try to pull off showboating spin-o-ramas & ill-advised rushes.

Back to the topic, I hope Horak bumps Jackman. I suppose it could hinge on if Cammalleri is deemed fit to play or not.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #43
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Horak is in and Jackman is out tonight, who's going to step up and get the extra dumb penalties?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #44
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
If Horak is in and Jackman is out tonight, who's going to step up and get the extra dumb penalties?
Goat horns available on the cheap

God forbid we'd get back to the game we played to start the season, when we were one of the least penalized teams in the league.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #45
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
See 'Glencross: new whipping boy' thread for the answer...
Old 10-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #46
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well no, I still expect Glencross to get the same amount of penalties. Hopefully Horak plays a smarter game like he used to. I'd rather have extra scoring punch then extra work for our PK
Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #47
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Secondly McGrattan is proving to not be so out of place as most enforcers but at some point he needs to drop the mitts and do what he was signed to do
I thought fights were supposed to be fought for some reason, not "just because".
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #48
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Guns View Post
I really don't get the hate for Shane O'Brien. The guy has been steady in my opinion. A guy I couldn't stand when he played against us as he gets under everyone's skin. Exactly what this team needs. A bigger body than brings some grit. He is +1 and pretty sure without looking he is near the top for hits. A 5th-6th guy that really hasn't been a liability.
Because people hated him before he played a single game with the Flames, and are now locked into that opinion for good. That, and a lot of Flames fans seem to believe that if you aren't a #1D or a 50-goal scorer, you're worthless.

Honestly, I've been very surprised with him given his reputation coming in. He's still a 5-6 guy, obviously, but is doing what one expects out of a 5-6 guy.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #49
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Because people hated him before he played a single game with the Flames, and are now locked into that opinion for good. That, and a lot of Flames fans seem to believe that if you aren't a #1D or a 50-goal scorer, you're worthless.

Honestly, I've been very surprised with him given his reputation coming in. He's still a 5-6 guy, obviously, but is doing what one expects out of a 5-6 guy.

Ya this sounds like a reasonable assessment. I haven't seen any major gaffs in his game and he definitely brings a grittier style of game we didn't have on the backend prior.

I say SOB will be staying over Butler, especially since he's a more recent acquisition of Feaster.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #50
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Think this means that Monahan may get a night off in Phoenix on the back to back.

Would allow them to take their time to fully assess the situation and make their decision. I think he will end up staying but having a guy that can replace him on his line will allow them to take the two days to make the decision.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #51
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Don't know where to put this, and don't think it deserves it's own thread.

How is it that Buffalo was able to send Ristolainen to the AHL a few days ago? Kid is only 18

He's since been recalled
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #52
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post

How is it that Buffalo was able to send Ristolainen to the AHL a few days ago? Kid is only 18

He's since been recalled
Risto never played in the CHL, so he can be sent to the AHL. I think Carolina can send Elias Lindholm to the AHL as well. They were both drafted from European leagues.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #53
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
This is why I don't really like him. To me he's attempting to do things that he can't pull off, and then he's way out of position & leaves Butler hung out to dry. His awareness & hockey smarts are way below par, and pairing him with Butler makes Butler look even worse than he is. I would rather see S.O.B. play a simple game & stick to what he's good at, rather than try to pull off showboating spin-o-ramas & ill-advised rushes.
If the Flames were trying to make a run at the cup, I'd agree 100%.

But instead, they're trying to develop players, and maximize the value of the guys they have. You can do both of those by letting SOB stretch his offensive legs a little to see if he might actually have some upside at the NHL level.

He has shown flashes of offence before. In his last year in the AHL, he followed up a 41 point season by scoring 22 pts in 19 playoff games. That's nothing to sneeze at, and while he hasnt been able to bring to his NHL game yet, it does suggest that he has some tools to work with.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #54
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Re: Butler/SOB.....all I know is that whenever I'm watching the game and realize that we've been hemmed in our own end for 45s+, sure enough that's the d-pairing out there. I'd venture as far as to say that's a fact. I'm also willing to admit that when Gio/Brodie have a bad shift I just don't dwell on it because they also produce offensive chances.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #55
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post

He's since been recalled
Same reason we're able to send Sieloff to the minors at age 19. Because neither was drafted out of the CHL.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #56
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Re: Butler/SOB.....all I know is that whenever I'm watching the game and realize that we've been hemmed in our own end for 45s+, sure enough that's the d-pairing out there. I'd venture as far as to say that's a fact. I'm also willing to admit that when Gio/Brodie have a bad shift I just don't dwell on it because they also produce offensive chances.
I think along the same lines but for different players. For example, i'm willing to give SOB a bad shift and don't dwell on it because he also hits, trash talks, fights, and makes life difficult for the opposition.

SOB fills a role, a role that needs filling and we are in short supply of. Even if Breen can fill that role, we still need SOB.

Ideally, Breen plays well enough to take a regular shift with one of Brodie, Gio, or Wideman, and Russell can be moved down with SOB.

My ideal pairings are:

Wideman/Brodie (also PP unit)
Giordano/Breen (top PK unit)
Russell/SOB

But all this depends on whether Breen can actually cut it at this level. That's the big question mark, but hey, they need to let him try.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #57
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Think this means that Monahan may get a night off in Phoenix on the back to back.

Would allow them to take their time to fully assess the situation and make their decision. I think he will end up staying but having a guy that can replace him on his line will allow them to take the two days to make the decision.
I could make a fairly educated decision on Monahan's course of development in about a 30 seconds. I don't think it'll require management 2 days to decide.. especially after he pots another couple points.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #58
FlamesAllTheWay
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Happy Cammy's back but hope they still find a way to work Horak into the lineup at some point.

Not sure who he'd replace now though. Might have been Colborne for a game or two but he's played well this trip. McGrattan maybe but then we're pretty soft up front.