Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #41
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Now it looks as though this season is going to be one big, long tragedy.
... we're 4 points out of a playoff spot, with games in hand on everybody, we've collected points in 4 out of our last 5 games, a long strech of games against beatable teams upcoming, injured bodies starting to come back (Cammy back next game and Sven practicing). It's just a wee bit early to start declaring the season a tragedy.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #42
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames will draft 6th overall at worst...but that is just because I believe this team is destined to never have a top 5 draft pick.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #43
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
This excites me more then him being healthy.

Hopefully it forces management to break the "win now" mentality.

There is stupid, then there is being happy someone is hurt worse than thought.

Your comment is in the same category as that of a Canucks fan being happy Steve Moore's neck was broken.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #44
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
... we're 4 points out of a playoff spot, with games in hand on everybody, we've collected points in 4 out of our last 5 games, a long strech of games against beatable teams upcoming, injured bodies starting to come back (Cammy back next game and Sven practicing). It's just a wee bit early to start declaring the season a tragedy.
You're not getting it.

4 out of 5 isn't good enough when 5 out of 5 over the course of a season will see you finish near dead last in the whole league.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #45
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Flames will draft 6th overall at worst...but that is just because I believe this team is destined to never have a top 5 draft pick.
So that's what, Monahan or Lindholm?

I certainly don't mind a rankings crater this year because the 2013 draft is amazing.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #46
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
No team plans to be one of the worst teams in the league.
Oilers?
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #47
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
You can watch the Flames and honestly tell yourself "Yes, this is a good team. A Playoff team."?

<removed> Nothing I have seen this season makes me think we can even be .500 let alone make the playoffs. Our 3-7 record is evidence of that. Seasons already a quarter of the way through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
There is stupid, then there is being happy someone is hurt worse than thought.

Your comment is in the same category as that of a Canucks fan being happy Steve Moore's neck was broken.
Easy tiger.
I'm not happy that Kiprusoff is hurt. I'm happy that the management team might finally get a forced wake up call.

It's more like being happy that the team you're playing in the playoffs is missing their best player. You're not happy that the player is actually hurt but you are happy that the team you're playing is worse off because of it.

Last edited by photon; 02-12-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Inflammatory language.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #48
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
You can watch the Flames and honestly tell yourself "Yes, this is a good team. A Playoff team."?
When healthy? Yes, yes I can. There have been a good few games in this young season where the Flames were easily outplaying the opposition but where Kiprusoff crapped the bed (or Ray Emery channelled Hasak).

How many actual bad games have they played? Vancouver and Anaheim by my count every other game the Flames either easily outplayed the opposition or effectively battled them to a draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
4 out of 5 isn't good enough when 5 out of 5 over the course of a season will see you finish near dead last in the whole league.
That is so mathamatically wrong. I said "points" in 4 of the last 5... specifically they've gotten 6, prorate that out and it's 1.2 points per game. Are you honestly going to try and argue that if the Flames average 1.2 points per game for the rest of the year they'll not only not be in the playoff picture but they'll be "near dead last"? That'd be 98-99 points in a regular season.

Last edited by Parallex; 02-12-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #49
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this team - healthy - makes the playoffs.

However, with the slow start, combined with Kipper going down, I think the hole will be too big by the time he is back and back to form.

I was willing to give these guys one more crack at it. But I sure as hell don't want to see the franchise wait another year for them.

If they aren't getting it done by mid March, changes have to be made at the deadline.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #50
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
When healthy? Yes, yes I can. There have been a good few games in this young season where the Flames were easily outplaying the opposition but where Kiprusoff crapped the bed (or Ray Emery channelled Hasak).

How many actual bad games have they played? Vancouver and Anaheim by my count every other game the Flames either easily outplayed the opposition or effectively battled them to a draw.
"Outplaying" the opposition is nice but it doesn't mean anything.
The Flames have been "outplaying" the opposition for 9 years now and we have progressively started loosening what actually justifies that term.

Just like the last 3 seasons, we will be out of the playoffs and some of you will bury your heads in the sand and tell yourself how close we are yet every year we seem to get further and further away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #51
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

IMO, you don't make the playoffs when your centers are Backlund, Stajan, Jones, and ex left winger Alex Tanguay.
$ven27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to $ven27 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #52
you got PHANUEFED
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's the Irving show now now people Irving played great against the wild cant blame the kid for the loss because Kipper would of lost that S/O as well. Kipper will be back in 2weeks thats not much of a loss the hammer would drop if it was season ending and for some reason I wish that was the case this team needs to get Seth Jones I think this kid is NHL ready.
you got PHANUEFED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #53
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you got PHANUEFED View Post
It's the Irving show now now people Irving played great against the wild cant blame the kid for the loss because Kipper would of lost that S/O as well.
The only thing that Shootout shows us is exactly who type of player Irving is. He's a positional goaltender who does well when he's set up. I always compare him to a calm Jonas Hiller in this regard. If he improves his vision and rebound control, I suspect he'll be one of those goaltenders who's not going to let soft goals get by him and will make stops through unbelievable traffic.

That being said, Irving has been known to struggle if the game loses a calm pace. When he's forced to move a lot, he'll misread plays and take the wrong option. This is something we'll have to differentiate him from Kiprusoff in: where Kiprusof will excel due to excellent mental conditioning and strong leg movement, Irving will struggle. The shootout just showed us how much Irving relies on the system in front of him. Kiprusoff isn't any better, but for different reasons (that Kiprusoff is extremely passive in shootouts - when he actively makes mini poke checks, he can force shots into his legs).

In terms of the game, Irving and Hudler got them a point, but the couldn't get the second point alone.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #54
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Kiprusoff is out for two weeks, and then needs a week to get back to game speed, that would bring us to March 6th - 10 games from now.

I would think that it would be optimistic to think that the Flames will go much better than 500 with irving and MacDonald.

So, let's say they are 500 at the 20 game mark (probably best case scenario)...

That means something like 8 games over would be required in the final 28 games, something like 16-8-4

Who thinks that's possible?

Anything under 500 and they are in dreamland.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #55
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames have been "outplaying" the opposition for 9 years now
You have a loose definition of "outplayed" then because IMO the Flames on the whole did not outplay the competition in at least 6 of those years. They got outplayed in the B.Sutter years and were largely hit'an'miss during the Keenan/Playfair period.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #56
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Easy tiger.
I'm not happy that Kiprusoff is hurt. I'm happy that the management team might finally get a forced wake up call.

It's more like being happy that the team you're playing in the playoffs is missing their best player. You're not happy that the player is actually hurt but you are happy that the team you're playing is worse off because of it.
Interesting analogy. When the team you are playing is missing their best player, your odds of success increase. When you are missing your best player, your odds of success decrease.

You are, in fact, cheering for failure. The loser's attitude is not one I can ever respect.

Last edited by Resolute 14; 02-12-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary insult.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #57
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting analogy. When the team you are playing is missing their best player, your odds of success increase. When you are missing your best player, your odds of success decrease.

You are, in fact, cheering for failure. The loser's attitude is not one I can ever respect.
I'm cheering for management to wake up.

Kipper being hurt increases the odds of that happening, therefore, I'm cheering for success.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #58
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

That is a <removed> way to put it, to put it mildly.

Last edited by Moderator; 02-12-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary insult
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #59
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

I think Polak has a valid point. I've been increasing frustrated at the Flames management for relying on Kiprusoff too much. I've always had a fear that when Kiprusoff retires we'll be scrambling to find a replacement.

At some point we need to seriously give the goaltenders in our system a good look at the NHL level. Irving would not be getting the chance he has now if Kiprusoff was healthy.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #60
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I even said it last year, if this team had even a decent record in shootouts they'd be in playoff contention at least. But they dont. And even if they did what good would that do them in the playoffs?

This is just not a good team. We're battling teams to a draw? To eventually lose in the shootout? Thats not a playoff team in my mind.

I dont think they're quite as bad as their record suggests, but I dont think they're a playoff team either.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: