Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #561
snipetype
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I think we have to acknowledge that Brendl is just a weird outlier. How many players just keep getting worse from age 17 on? Very rare does a player come into the WHL at 17 and just dominate the league. Then he just started getting worse and worse every year that followed.

Yeah Brendl was a lazy turd. Draisatl is German not Russian. Germans are known to be extremely hard working people.
snipetype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #562
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
I've seen him listed at 6'2" also. He had the broad backed, dump truck look to him. I'd guess he'll play at 225 lbs.
Central scouting has him at 6'1.5", 204lbs which would have been taken at the beginning of the season.

Basically the same size as Toews.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #563
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I think this draft is going to be like the 1999 draft and Draisaitl is the Pavel Brendl of this draft.
I remember Brendls warts appearing fairly early in junior. Even though he put up huge points, he was known for being a huge floater on the ice, and the lazy tag seemed to pop quite early and often. He might fail in other ways, but I just don't see/hear the same type of glaring issues with Draisaitl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I can't comment on his work ethic, and I doubt you can either, but I know most junior kids have no idea how hard they have to work to become a pro. I doubt Draisaitl is any different.
Well he is German. Not the laziest of people.

Quote:
If his work ethic as as good as you suggest, he'd be a better skater.
Perhaps, or maybe that's as fast as those giant birthing-hips of his will ever go.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #564
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Reinhart, Ekblad and Bennett are gone I don't see Burke drafting Draisaitl after his comments in one of his speeches. I would think Dal Colle is the odds on favourite to become a Flame. If the Flames drafted 5th, 6th or 7th I think it would have been Ritchie if Dal Colle was gone.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #565
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
And as a teenager - he's also 25 pounds heavier than Nugent-Hopkins and 10 pounds heavier than Gagner.
Yeah but nobody is comparing him to those players.

Draisaitl keeps getting compared to guys like Kopitar, Getzlaf, and Thornton and he won't ever be as large as them.

He's more like Landeskog size who was like 6 and 1/2 inches and 204 when drafted.
Or Raffi Torres.

That's good NHL size, but not "un-containable" size like the previous three mentioned.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #566
lanny9
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
If Reinhart, Ekblad and Bennett are gone I don't see Burke drafting Draisaitl after his comments in one of his speeches. I would think Dal Colle is the odds on favourite to become a Flame. If the Flames drafted 5th, 6th or 7th I think it would have been Ritchie if Dal Colle was gone.
But in his most recent speeches he puts Draisaitl right up there with the rest. All the naysayers can talk about his skating but that is one aspect that can be coached at camps going forward. Look at the big improvement that has been made with Kanzig(as talked about in one of the other threads). He stayed late at the Flames main camp so they could work on his skating, same could be done with Draisaitl. If his skating is the big concern(which I personally don't think it should be long term) the team would work with him on it. There are reasons some scouts have this kid at #1, we can't ignore that.......

I just have a hard time thinking this kid isn't the real deal, he had absolutely nobody around him this year and look at the numbers, I mean wow, he was the Prince Albert Raiders!
lanny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #567
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipetype View Post
Germans are known to be extremely hard working people.
They're also known to be demanding and steal all the sun loungers when on holidays!
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #568
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really think everyone needs to temper their expectations of every player in this draft... Remember, most scouts have even been hesitant to call Eckblad a true #1 defenseman down the road. Same thing with Reinhart... Scouts like to say he will be either a good #1 center or a very good #2 center in the NHL. That's nothing to scoff at but it's not like any of the guys in this draft are projected to be franchise players in the NHL.

So comparing anyone in this draft to a future kopitar or thorton might be stretching things a bit. Hopefully these guys keep developing though and turn into those kind of players as prospects like these have occasionally exceeded expectations before.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #569
lanny9
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Look at this clip, especially the 1:40 mark, looks like Draisaitl isn't that slow...

lanny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #570
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Outside of MacKinnon, the top players in this draft are just as good as the players last year.

I actually think its fine up until about 25-30 and then it falls off a cliff.

EDIT: 25-30 might be a bit much, although the rankings get a little wacky at about 20 (i.e MacInnis over Fabbari and Ho-Sang)

Last edited by PeteMoss; 04-23-2014 at 02:38 PM.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #571
snipetype
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Burke says he is unlikely to trade up... hasn't watched Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
I really think everyone needs to temper their expectations of every player in this draft... Remember, most scouts have even been hesitant to call Eckblad a true #1 defenseman down the road. Same thing with Reinhart... Scouts like to say he will be either a good #1 center or a very good #2 center in the NHL. That's nothing to scoff at but it's not like any of the guys in this draft are projected to be franchise players in the NHL.

So comparing anyone in this draft to a future kopitar or thorton might be stretching things a bit. Hopefully these guys keep developing though and turn into those kind of players as prospects like these have occasionally exceeded expectations before.

I think that Kopitar Getzlaf and Thorton are comparable in how they play to Draisatl. However, they are proven NHL stars, Draisatl is not.
When people are comparing 18 year olds to NHL stars they aren't saying he will be that good, they are saying IF everything goes right they could become that type of player.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #572
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Burke says he is unlikely to trade up... hasn't watched Bennett

My friends sister knows Draisaitl from PA and she says he's an entitled A##h###, (sounds like an oiler already) so even if he is available I don't want him on the flames

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #573
snipetype
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Outside of MacKinnon, the top players in this draft are just as good as the players last year.

I actually think its fine up until about 25-30 and then it falls off a cliff.

EDIT: 25-30 might be a bit much, although the rankings get a little wacky at about 20 (i.e MacInnis over Fabbari and Ho-Sang)

I disagree. Jones > ekblad. Drouin > Reinhart. Barkov > draisatl. Monahan > dal colle. Zadorov, ristolainen > fleury. Nichuskin. The top of the other draft was better. No doubt about it.
The prospects this year just have more question marks.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #574
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErnSalute_16 View Post
My friends sister knows Draisaitl from PA and she says he's an entitled A##h###, (sounds like an oiler already) so even if he is available I don't want him on the flames

Well, if your friends sister says so.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #575
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Yeah but nobody is comparing him to those players.

Draisaitl keeps getting compared to guys like Kopitar, Getzlaf, and Thornton and he won't ever be as large as them.

He's more like Landeskog size who was like 6 and 1/2 inches and 204 when drafted.
Or Raffi Torres.

That's good NHL size, but not "un-containable" size like the previous three mentioned.
You're missing the broader scope of the conversation. The talk of the Oilers valuing him is because of his size in addition to his skill set. Yes, he's not as large as some of the biggest of No. 1 centres (who are all grown men)... but - as a teenager - he's currently much bigger than the Oiler's current top centres (who are tiny).

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
He's more like Landeskog size who was like 6 and 1/2 inches and 204 when drafted. Or Raffi Torres.
some of the strangest wording I've seen as of late.

Last edited by GoJetsGo; 04-23-2014 at 02:54 PM.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #576
A Shot Wide
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Sounds like your friends sister didn't get the Deutschland Dangler and is now upset about it.
A Shot Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to A Shot Wide For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #577
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Sounds like the stuff I've heard about Dion from people who went to school with him.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #578
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kind of just assume all teenage hockey players who are the best at what they do, and have people always telling them they will be NHL stars, would be entitled little a-holes.

Last edited by Table 5; 04-23-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #579
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, the whole "pro and major junior hockey players are great people" thing is sort of a myth.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #580
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanny9 View Post
But in his most recent speeches he puts Draisaitl right up there with the rest. All the naysayers can talk about his skating but that is one aspect that can be coached at camps going forward.
Burke flat out said he didn't like him, it would be a quick reversal in thinking if he already changed his mind. I don't think it's impossible for the Flames to draft Draisaitl but I would be surprised if it did happen. I believe Burke would prefer to draft a North American as well if the assessment between the two are close. Dal Colle would be a good pick up, I just hope he plays center in junior next season. The Flames don't need anymore LWers.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote