Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2024, 10:03 PM   #441
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
What an awful weekend of football. 1/6 games was entertaining. The other 5 were duds.
Imagine if you had to sign up for Peacock!
Old 01-15-2024, 10:04 PM   #442
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
The divisional round does look to have compelling matchups at least.
Based on the opening point spreads it looks more lop sided than this week. Bill's and Chiefs is the only game under 6 to open, and double digits for the one seeds.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:07 PM   #443
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like chaos mode but I wish the games were closer
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 06:15 AM   #444
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Still insane to think eight weeks ago the Eagles were 10-1 and Sirianni was probably the least likely coach in the league to get fired, and now he very well might be gone tomorrow. One of the fastest collapses I can remember.
Kind of similar to the Doug Pederson team in that after they won the Super Bowl he lost Reich and the offense just wasn't the same after and things kind of unravelled. Losing both offensive and defensive coordinators has to hurt any coaching staff especially one that was coming off a very successful season. Patricia anointed as defensive play caller was probably the final nail in the coffin. Most of these ex-Patriots coaches just aren't coaching material outside of Belichick's watch.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:10 AM   #445
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
What an awful weekend of football. 1/6 games was entertaining. The other 5 were duds.
The NFL is a 4 team league. I have a hard time following. When was the last time there was a genuine upset for the SB, 2004?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:37 AM   #446
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
The NFL is a 4 team league. I have a hard time following. When was the last time there was a genuine upset for the SB, 2004?
Usually there's 5 teams that have a shot to get thru the playoffs to the Superbowl when the playoffs start.

When Tampa won with Brady, they were a dog in most of those games. The two times the Giants beat the Patriots they were dogs most of the way thru. Baltimore winning in 2012 were not a favorite either.

It's not like big underdogs win Championships in any other North American League. MLB is the one exception where compared to the regular season it has a really short post season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 10:03 AM   #447
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems like the NHL has its share cinderella teams in the playoffs but the clock nearly always strikes 12 if they get into the finals.
Old 01-16-2024, 10:47 AM   #448
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What do you consider a genuine upset?

2023, 2021, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, and 2010 all had the underdogs winning. 2009 had the biggest upset in Super Bowl history with a wild card Giants team beating the undefeated Patriots. Prior to that, the favourites generally won the bulk of the games, even if they didn't cover the spread.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 10:58 AM   #449
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It seems like the NHL has its share cinderella teams in the playoffs but the clock nearly always strikes 12 if they get into the finals.
Outside of the Sutter coached Kings, I don't remember any lower seeds winning all 4 rounds. As you note, a low seed can win a couple rounds, but usually can't last to the end.

I also think because they play so many games and the game does change, we do see teams who know they're in, but slow it down in the regular season to prepare for playoffs. So in the NHL the top regular season team doesn't win.

In the NFL it is a one game takes all winner and in the regular season the top teams do win more, and the bad ones lose more.
Old 01-16-2024, 11:19 AM   #450
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post

2023, 2021, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, and 2010 all had the underdogs winning. 2009 had the biggest upset in Super Bowl history with a wild card Giants team beating the undefeated Patriots. Prior to that, the favourites generally won the bulk of the games, even if they didn't cover the spread.
So are you hoping for a house cleaning or giving Sirianni a chance to right the ship with better coordinators?
Old 01-16-2024, 12:14 PM   #451
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So are you hoping for a house cleaning or giving Sirianni a chance to right the ship with better coordinators?
I want him gone. The collapse is on him.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 01:26 PM   #452
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post

Under dogs in the game, but not really as a franchise in the NFL.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 01:48 PM   #453
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

But there's generally a correlation between "underdog" franchises and "poorly run" franchises. The Browns, Lions, Jets etc...their underdog factor is down to sucking for so much of the last 20+ years, not like in say a sport like baseball or basketball where luxury taxes have created true haves and have nots. Hard cap is the equalizer that makes the NFL what it is.
Old 01-16-2024, 02:05 PM   #454
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Under dogs in the game, but not really as a franchise in the NFL.
Again, I think that depends on what you consider an underdog. Over the last 15 Super Bowls, we've had three first-time champions (Eagles, Saints, and Seahawks). The Saints were long considered perennial losers before they won their championship. We've also had a Chiefs team win two championships, but only their first since the Nixon administration.

I'd argue the NHL, NBA, and MLB have all been far more predictable and repetitive over the same period of time.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2024, 09:48 AM   #455
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Back in the 2019 season the idea of the AFC final 4 of Baltimore, Buffalo, Houston, & K.C. was very credible since Jackson, Allen, Watson, Mahomes were considered to be up and coming elite level QB's. 4 seasons later it finally shakes out this way except that Houston is now lead by a different QB who might be better, and I'll say Ryans is a better coach than BOB. I do think the AFC teams have the better QB's, but a healthy San Francisco team still has the best roster beside QB.

Anyways here's my predictions

Houston +9.5 and under 43.5 points. Baltimore wins the game 24-17 and finally get to the AFC Title game with Lamar. But the Texans play them tough in this one.

San Francisco -9.5 and over 50.5. 49'ers take this 34 to 21 as they are able to start with a good game plan against a suspect Packers defence. Shanahan has beat up on LaFleur in the playoffs and continues to do so.

Tampa Bay +6.5 and under 49. I'll go Bucs in an upset here, 21-17. Philly did no show on Mondsy, but that Bucs defence looked a lot like the one that destroyed the Chiefs in the Superbowl. Detroit has a strong offensive line, but so does Philly and the Bucs man handled them. Lions had that big emotional win last week, but this Bucs team still has a lot of playoff experience.

Buffalo -2.5 and over 45.5. I can't ever pick the Chiefs to win...should be a close game as they usually are. I'll say 26-23 for the Bill's as the Chiefs red zone woes result in too many field goals. The thing to watch is the Bill's injury report. Not sure if Gabe Davis will play, he's been a Chirf killer. Both Bill's starting corners are banged up pretty good but should play. If they go out early though, I don't know if K.C has a second WR beside Rice to take advantage of that. I think the key will be that Bill's offensive line beating up on the Chiefs and running the ball.

Hopefully we see some better games this weekend.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 01-20-2024 at 08:48 AM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2024, 11:39 AM   #456
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If there was ever a time for Buffalo to finally get past KC this is it but as mentioned injuries could be a factor. It does sound like Douglas intends to play which will help but years of fandom have conditioned me to expect the worst. As long as they can avoid the Kelce spam and hero ball though they have a good chance.
ajr4013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 11:41 AM   #457
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ravens
Niners
Lions
Chiefs

I know Buffalo has favourable odds of beating the Chiefs and on paper are the pick, but I just can't bring myself to take Josh Allen over Pat Mahomes in a playoff game.

Chiefs kinda remind me of the Sutter era Kings in the sense that no matter how average their regular season was or what playoff seed they get, they're always going to be extremely dangerous and a very tough out come playoff time in the Mahomes era.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2024, 11:51 AM   #458
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I have a hard time seeing any of the road teams winning this weekend. The Bills have a chance but I think the Chiefs defense is going to force Allen into turnovers which will be the difference. Hope I'm wrong there.
Old 01-19-2024, 11:53 AM   #459
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I have a hard time seeing any of the road teams winning this weekend. The Bills have a chance but I think the Chiefs defense is going to force Allen into turnovers which will be the difference. Hope I'm wrong there.
The game is in Buffalo.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2024, 11:54 AM   #460
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

heart says Texans, Niners, Lions and Bills, so I'm fully prepared to have no one left to root for come Monday.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote