Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 09:08 AM   #3681
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Gaudreau has been playing RW at the WC. Why not try him there, bump Tkachuk up to 1st line LW and put Bennett with Back and Frolik, where he has had the most success. It would also free up the 3C spot for Jankowski.

Tkachuk/Monahan/Gaudreau
Bennett/Backlund/Frolik
Ferland/Jankowski/one of Brouwer, Chiasson or Lazar
If the Flames can't get a player from outside the organization I like the idea of moving Tkachuk and Bennett up a line. I don't think it's a great idea to come back to camp thinking the first line issues were solved with Ferland.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #3682
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not sure the point you are making as Hyman is the only one of the list that played more than sporadically in top line roles and all of them listed are 22 years or younger (Hyman 24) and Ferland (25) and Chiasson (26) are in their prime and what they are. We would be pretty excited if the Flames had those player as options as at least they have potential to be top six players (not Hyman IMO who is just at the right place at the right time) while Ferland and Chiasson are what they are in bottom six guys.

Johnny Gaudreau is maybe the smallest player in the league. You can't compare a guy like Hyman riding shotgun with a big strong center like Matthews. Johnny can't create his own space and needs a complementary player that commands attention.
I don't know, the goal posts were at "name a team that plays a supplementary player on their top line" and when provided several examples you seem to have moved them. Why don't you start by saying "evidence won't convince me"?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #3683
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gaudreau has been playing RW at the WC. Why not try him there, bump Tkachuk up to 1st line LW and put Bennett with Back and Frolik, where he has had the most success. It would also free up the 3C spot for Jankowski.

Tkachuk/Monahan/Gaudreau
Bennett/Backlund/Frolik
I think Tkachuk would be a fantastic fit on the top line if Gaudreau or Tkachuk moved to the right side. I also like the idea of Bennett playing in the top 6 and making a spot for Jankowski. I just wonder if the organization would go back to Bennett on the wing considering the efforts they have made to develop him at centre?

In terms of an in house solution this is the best option imo.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:49 AM   #3684
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Tkachuk/Monahan/Gaudreau
Bennett/Backlund/Frolik
Yeah. If they don't land someone like Oshie for top line, this is what I'd do. It's a young, but potentially very good top 6. Jankowski should be the third line Centre for sure but I'd get Versteeg on that third line rather than Brouwer, Chiasson or Lazar.

If they do land an Oshie, put Tkachuk with Jankowski, Ferland and Versteeg on the third line?

Last edited by Bunk; 05-09-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #3685
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I still am fine with giving Ferland more time on the top line. He has a lot of tools, and is still improving. He was on a 30 goal pace with Gaudreau and Monahan, and that is with no power play time.

He's still got potential as a top 6/9 guy.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #3686
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also don't mind the idea of a guy like Tkachuk feeding Ferland. Ferland has an incredible shot. Tkachuk is an excellent playmaker.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Oshie (or similar UFA)
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Ferland
Versteeg-Lazar-Hathaway

Nicely balanced attack.

Last edited by Bunk; 05-09-2017 at 10:38 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bunk For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #3687
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think moving Bennett to the wing is still far too short sighted. The kid is 20 years old and played well as a 3rd line center. He's drafted as a top end center, he should be played that way. Teams that are deep at center seem to do better than those who don't.

I look at Bennett like Spezza. He didn't blow up until his fourth year after his draft, he got to mature in the OHL for longer, and didn't have to compete with a Monahan for the #1C. I see Bennett hitting his stride as a #1/2 C in 2-3 years. Give the kid time.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #3688
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
I think moving Bennett to the wing is still far too short sighted. The kid is 20 years old and played well as a 3rd line center. He's drafted as a top end center, he should be played that way. Teams that are deep at center seem to do better than those who don't.

I look at Bennett like Spezza. He didn't blow up until his fourth year after his draft, he got to mature in the OHL for longer, and didn't have to compete with a Monahan for the #1C. I see Bennett hitting his stride as a #1/2 C in 2-3 years. Give the kid time.
They also just spent an entire year developing him at centre. There's a lot to be said about consistency and how it helps development. Stop flip flopping the kid all over the place and let him continue to develop.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #3689
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know you shouldn't mess with a good thing, but you also can't be stubborn. I'd like to see Tkachuk play with Bennett.

This franchise needs Bennett to realize his potential sooner rather than later, and he needs to play with guys that he can click with. He had a revolving door of wingers this past season. I think he has learned and adapted to the pro game quite well, now its time for him to take the next step. I think a little powerplay time and a full season with a winger like Tkachuk will do him well.

Backlund is the straw that stirs his lines drink. I think if you plug a decent sized player with good hockey sense they will flourish on that line, much the way Tkachuk did. Ferland? Lazar? Jankowski? All good candidates.

Then who do you put with Monahan and Gaudreau? We can all dream of a proven trigger man, but with this team's cap situation going forward, I don't really see that as an option, its going to have to be somebody from within. I like the idea of separating Monahan and Gaudreau. I don't think either of them relies on the other too much, I just think their styles mesh. I do think that Monahan would do well to be a bit more of a puck hog.
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2017, 11:30 AM   #3690
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I'd like to see Bennett stay at center and have him and Tkachuk become a "pairing".

Either:

Gaudreau - Monahan - ______
M. Frolik - Backlund - Lazar
Tkachuk - Bennett - ______
_______ - Jankowski - ______

Or:

Gaudreau - Monahan - ______
Jankowski - Backlund - M. Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - ______
______ - Lazar - ______

Fill in the 4 blanks with Ferland, Brouwer, Chiasson, Bouma, Stajan, Hathaway, Hamilton, any new acquisitions or any prospects that force their way onto roster.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:00 PM   #3691
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Yeah. If they don't land someone like Oshie for top line, this is what I'd do. It's a young, but potentially very good top 6. Jankowski should be the third line Centre for sure but I'd get Versteeg on that third line rather than Brouwer, Chiasson or Lazar.

If they do land an Oshie, put Tkachuk with Jankowski, Ferland and Versteeg on the third line?
If I'm running a club's hockey operations I put a moratorium on signing any player in the TSN Top Ten free agent list every summer as they almost always bit you in the ass.

TJ Oshie ...

30 years old (not old, but likely turning the corner)
Will want 6-7 years and likely $6-8M

and is coming off a season where he scored 33 goals on a 23% shooting percentage compared to a career average of 13% (12%) if you take out the 23% this year.

he averages 140 shots per year, so when he returns to his career average next season (12%) his goal total will go from 33 to 17 and that's before his age starts to show mid contract and his numbers really go in the tank.

Stay away!

This moratorium would have cost the Flames Frolik two summers ago, but I'm not sure there are any other hits from just staying away.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #3692
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
If I'm running a club's hockey operations I put a moratorium on signing any player in the TSN Top Ten free agent list every summer as they almost always bit you in the ass.

TJ Oshie ...

and is coming off a season where he scored 33 goals on a 23% shooting percentage compared to a career average of 13% (12%) if you take out the 23% this year.

he averages 140 shots per year, so when he returns to his career average next season (12%) his goal total will go from 33 to 17 and that's before his age starts to show mid contract and his numbers really go in the tank.

Stay away!

This moratorium would have cost the Flames Frolik two summers ago, but I'm not sure there are any other hits from just staying away.
Frolik was only 27 when we signed him though, and to just a 5 year deal well south of $5 million. Way better than signing a 30 year old forward to 6 or 7 years north of $6 million.

I agree. Flames shouldn't be gunning for Oshie.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #3693
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

TJ Oshie ...

Stay away!

Agreed on Oshie.

I do believe its time to trade some young assets for top 6 help though. I think the team is close and I don't see many young players (if any) being able to supplant what is in the lineup right now, except for maybe Jankowski and Andersson, or over the next couple of years. The goalie prospects are a few years away yet. I wouldn't expect any of the forward prospects (except maybe Jankowski) to supplant anyone in the current top 9 and ditto with respect to the defensive prospects being able to displace anyone in the top 4, top 5 if England returns.

I'm not sure what the Flames could expect in return for some of their prospects, but I make a move now if I'm Treliving to try to improve the current top 6 ( or 9).
Old 05-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #3694
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post

Issue is Jankowski seems to have similar upside to Bennett in terms of being a top two line centre. The question is how do you fit Monahan, Backlund, Jankowski and Bennett all in the top 3 lines when Bennett and Janko are ready?

Out of all 4 of those players Bennett's game seems best suited for the wing and he's had success there. Bennett likes to drive the wing and has the speed to do so, he likes to take defencemen on 1 by 1, he's very tenacious along the boards and around the net. His style suits the wing moreso than Monahan, Backlund or Janko.

If we didn't have Jankowski then I think talk of moving Bennett to the wing would be silly. But in Jankowski we have a very promising top two line centre prospect with size, skating and skill who's near NHL ready. How we will fit him in long term is a real issue for some of us.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #3695
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are people's thoughts on the 3 Mike line? Ferland-Backlund-Frolik? Ferland provides some of the toughness lost by moving Tkachuk off that line and can benefit from playing with Backlund like Bouma, Colborne, Bennett, Tkachuk before him.

This allows Tkachuk to be paired with Bennett who I ultimately think is a terrific match. These players are great but also are pains in the ass for opposition. Throw Lazar on that line and see what happens. Ultimately I would like the Flames to find a legit top line winger for Monahan and Gaudreau just not sure how.

I agree signing Oshie would be a huge mistake based off his market value. If the Flames are going big game hunting in the free agent pool I really only think they can do it in net. The Caps have enticing pieces hitting the market in Oshie, Alzner, and Shattenkirk but the Flames should steer far clear from that group (unless Alzner wants to take a Hitmen alumni discount).

I am not sure what tradeable assets the Flames have to get that top line RW or #4D
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #3696
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Issue is Jankowski seems to have similar upside to Bennett in terms of being a top two line centre. The question is how do you fit Monahan, Backlund, Jankowski and Bennett all in the top 3 lines when Bennett and Janko are ready?

Out of all 4 of those players Bennett's game seems best suited for the wing and he's had success there. Bennett likes to drive the wing and has the speed to do so, he likes to take defencemen on 1 by 1, he's very tenacious along the boards and around the net. His style suits the wing moreso than Monahan, Backlund or Janko.

If we didn't have Jankowski then I think talk of moving Bennett to the wing would be silly. But in Jankowski we have a very promising top two line centre prospect with size, skating and skill who's near NHL ready. How we will fit him in long term is a real issue for some of us.
As of right now Jankowski has proven that he's a good AHL center, that's all. Next year he can challenge for 4C, but they have Lazar who is also a 3/4C who has played in the NHL for a few years. Once Janko plays half a season at 4C we can all consider him a top 3C, but until then he has no business surpassing any of Monahan, Backlund, Bennett, or even Lazar for now.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #3697
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post

Jankowski-Bennett was the reason I started the thread speculating that selling high on Backlund this summer could be an interesting move for the Flames to make. The consensus was the move is too risky and Backlund is too valuable. I definitely don't disagree with that.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #3698
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

I am not sure what tradeable assets the Flames have to get that top line RW or #4D
I obviously don't know who's available...but I'd move anything not named Jankowski and I'd really try to hold onto Andersson. Everything else is open....The 1st round pick (this year or next year), Parsons, Kylington, etc.

..for the right player, of course.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #3699
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
What are people's thoughts on the 3 Mike line? Ferland-Backlund-Frolik? Ferland provides some of the toughness lost by moving Tkachuk off that line and can benefit from playing with Backlund like Bouma, Colborne, Bennett, Tkachuk before him.

This allows Tkachuk to be paired with Bennett who I ultimately think is a terrific match. These players are great but also are pains in the ass for opposition. Throw Lazar on that line and see what happens. Ultimately I would like the Flames to find a legit top line winger for Monahan and Gaudreau just not sure how.
Well the biggest question is who plays with Gaudreau IMO. I don't believe as you do that he needs a top line winger. Instead what he needs are big, skilled guys who make room for him, win puck battles for him, drive the net so he can shoot screens, etc. Gaudreau badly needs a power forward on his line under our new system. We don't have Hartley's quick break offence anymore, we grind it out in the offensive zone trying to retain possession. So on the Flames the best winger pairings for Gaudreau are Ferland and Tkachuk because those guys are the best along the boards, in front of the net, etc.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk makes some sense
Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland makes some sense

But depending on how fast Janko is ready or how much Bennett steps up there could be other options.

Tkachuk-Monahan-Brouwer
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Gaudreau-Jankowski-Ferland

Look at how spread out of the offence could be there. Which line do your send your best checkers against? I think Gaudreau will really benefit when this team has a legit 3 line attack.

Tkachuk-Monahan-Versteeg
Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland
whoever-Backlund-Frolik

I think who pairs with Backlund/Frolik is the last question to answer cause they play well with anybody. Finding the fit with Gaudreau seems to be the real problem. I think in general the continued maturation of Bennett and Tkachuk and them being more dangerous and causing our team to have a deeper attack will help Gaudreau get more space.

Still think the biggest training camp questions start around Jankowski and whether he will force his way into a top 3 centre spot at some point during the year. Him winning such a role would have a big effect on our depth and allow for some interesting line combinations.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:17 PM   #3700
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have to agree with Bingo. The only big free agent the Flames should be interested in is Kovalchuk. Anyone else should be "home-town" discount guys like Versteeg, Stone, or Engelland. Perhaps some mid-range guys like Hudler or Kulikov.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread