Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2016, 09:28 AM   #261
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
I'm saying, imo, we let go of a capable coach who was doing a good job, to chase something that might not materialize, another effective coach.

I saw somewhere awhile ago, that one of Edmontons biggest problems is their coaches turnover, whereas other teams that have gone through rebuilds with the same coaches are much better(obviously).

I just don't want to fall into the coach carousel cycle, like Edmonton, and I really don't understand why Hartley was let go.
Right now it's not an issue but we have to hire the right coach. If we take a chance on a young inexperienced guy and he fails miserably (ala Dallas Eakins), we'll be joining Oilers territory when we bring on another coach in 1-1.5 years. For this reason, Boudreau would be a phenomenal add as you know he won't go anywhere for 3-4 years, minimum.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:28 AM   #262
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I went to the game that night. The fella I went with is friends is a Flames Alumni. The 3 of us were chatting before the game. The Alumni told he and I flat out that was the case. He also then told some funny stories about his time playing.
Confirmed.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:28 AM   #263
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Confirmed.
I didn't know you were a Flames alumni!
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #264
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is Gelinas staying? The most incompetent part of the coaching staff?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #265
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I didn't know you were a Flames alumni!
I'm Paul Baxter.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 09:30 AM   #266
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
This might be driven by the disagreement that BT had with Hartley over Hamilton.

Despite Hamilton's career year in scoring he was not the catalyst the Flames needed to step up to being a solid playoff team.

Hamilton was signed as a top 2 d-man and was supposed to be one of BT's "Best Move of his career"

Hartley started Hamilton as top 2 but then moved him down to #5 for most of the year.

It seemed to me that the Hamilton supporters were pushing for more Ice time and a bigger role for Hamilton all year.

After the trade deadline with Russell and Wideman out Hamilton still did not get much of a bigger role.

Only at the very end did Hamilton get paired with Brodie and Brodie's immaculate +/- took a hit (-9) the last 17 games.
Never miss a chance to beat your drum. One day someone might just agree with your insanity.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chingas For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 09:31 AM   #267
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Absolutely love it and I am a fan of what Hartley accomplished here and of the man himself.

But this shows a management group that is unwilling to compromise the level of excellence that it demands of the team. The entire organization was just put on notice. Expectations are high. Futility is unacceptable.

Outstanding.
Interesting perspective, but too narrow an application.

If this were to be the case, then how long before Treliving is held accountable for failing to address the goaltending situation?

If we take that the organization is unwilling to compromise, then the GM has to be accountable for the biggest failing of the team last year - terrible goaltending.

I am not a fan of this at all and believe that Hartley is being used as a scapegoat for the failing of the GM.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:31 AM   #268
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by domenichelly View Post
  • No one coach could win without a starting goalie and roster we had.
  • We had a lot of bad contracts and average players with low hockey skills
  • Our team is not young as many can think
It is enogh to say tha GM job wan done bad? Treliving got really young team after Feaster with lowest salary in NHL and on that package team got playoffs. Before this year's deadline we had 5th salary cap in NHL and finished 12th. Is it for coaches? We had 1 full year to get starting goalie, 1st RW and 2nd scoring line. Whole year was spent for nothing by GM...
You're all over the map, dude. We got to the playoffs in 2015 with virtually the same roster as 2016, including the same goalies. We have the same bad contracts from year to year. And as far as average age goes, we were 23rd in the NHL last year, and 20th this.

So, you are blaming Treliving for having "1 full year" to get a starting goalie - when he already had goalies that got them to the playoffs the year before, to get a first line RW - when he already had a RW that had huge success with Monahan and Gaudreau - and for failing to purchase a second line - when we are still an organization at the start of a rebuild. Sam Bennett is one of those pieces.

The problem I would suggest, is that our unexpected playoff run in 2015 left you with inflated expectations.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #269
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I'm Paul Baxter.
Paul Baxter-Birney?
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #270
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
and I'm just saying, I hope it doesn't turn into.
So it's agreed we are not cycling through capable coaches.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #271
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I went to the game that night. The fella I went with is friends with a Flames Alumni. The 3 of us were chatting before the game. The Alumni told he and I flat out that was the case. He also then told some funny stories about his time playing.
Was it Rhett?
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #272
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was not a big Hartley fan from day one but I do feel for the guy a little bit. He was dealt a cruddy hand with the goaltending this year. Scotty Bowman could not have won with the goaltending this team received.

Hartley was not Burke's guy and I never had the feeling Burke was a supporter. Not too sure on BT's feelings but I guess we know now.

I believe there are better coaches out there (Boudreau) so I am on board with the decision. Doesn't D. Sutter need a contract?

As for the Super Bowl incident, I put that more on the team's leadership than on the coach.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #273
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So it's agreed we are not cycling through capable coaches.
Yeah but we MIGHT. You never know.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #274
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

How often to players like their coaches? And how often are coaches that have any success are also liked by their players.

Seems to me all the best coaches that get the best results aren't liked. That said, is Quenville (spelling?) well liked? He seems good
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #275
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just hope someone has the guts to ask Treliving what accountability that the GM should bear for not addressing the goaltending situation.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #276
domenichelly
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Crazy that people think our GM should be fired after two years on the job crushing trade after trade, while Hartley got the shaft after one good season out of four.
GM job can be judged where the team was and where it is now. Not by standings position but mostly by roster. I still think that 2 years is enough to understand who can be you #1 goalie and other problems. But all he says is: we need to wait, we will see and so on... I think we can buy him window for birthday )

But my main question for Treliving is - what kind fo team he wants to see. Feaster had a plan. It can be good or bad but he had it. He wanted fast players with good hockey skills or good skills potential. Some kind of Golden State Warriors in NHL may be...

Coach can work only with players he had. If he do not have good quality players than you cant ask him to make miracle every year...

P.S. I am not Hnat. He was player i liked when i was young )
domenichelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #277
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
This might be driven by the disagreement that BT had with Hartley over Hamilton.

Despite Hamilton's career year in scoring he was not the catalyst the Flames needed to step up to being a solid playoff team.

Hamilton was signed as a top 2 d-man and was supposed to be one of BT's "Best Move of his career"

Hartley started Hamilton as top 2 but then moved him down to #5 for most of the year.

It seemed to me that the Hamilton supporters were pushing for more Ice time and a bigger role for Hamilton all year.

After the trade deadline with Russell and Wideman out Hamilton still did not get much of a bigger role.

Only at the very end did Hamilton get paired with Brodie and Brodie's immaculate +/- took a hit (-9) the last 17 games.
Somewhere in here you might have a valid point. Specifically, I don't think BT was happy with how Hartley handled Hamilton.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #278
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Treliving stated in a year end interview he wasn't happy with the system the Flames were playing. This firing isn't a surprise to me. Although, if Trevliving really didn't like Hartley's system, he shouldn't have extended him and he probably should have let him go after that terrible start.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #279
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

goal tending was only truly terrible in the first two months. Doesn't explain why we sucked in January when Ramo was playing well but the power play was putrid.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #280
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Not a single mention of this firing on the Sportsnet.ca home page. Crazy

Yes its on the NHL page, but figured this would be up front as the biggest news currently in play
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote