Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #221
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
What annoys me is how the new interac debit machines almost all have a tip option, regardless of what the business is. Even some fast food places have a tip option on their machines now. The tipping culture and the expectation of a tip is brutal
Actually, and I'll tell you, as a business owner this drives me crazy, those goddamned Point of Sale machines are ridiculous!

I hate being propositioned every other day for a new POS provider with lower rates and all their BS, but mostly, those goddamned POS machines are complicated!

I had a tip feature on mine because its default, it took me forever to figure out how to undo it.

Honestly, I do taxes for a living and here I am in my office with the manual to the stupid debit machine to try and figure out how to de-activate the tip function. And people think my job is incomprehensible.

The manual to a POS machine. Have you seen the size of that document? You could have the cure for cancer or the recipe for turning lead into gold in there and nobody would ever know. Granted my new one is very easy and much less complicated.

So dont always get too fussy when you see an option for the tip to come up, it could easily just be that this is how it was setup and nobody knows how to change it.

I actually should turn that function back on just to see the reactions.

But I wont. Because I hate it too.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #222
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ha! I never really thought of the other side of it. I just assumed businesses were out to get every last dime they could possibly get.

I suggest turning the tip option back on, especially when someone owes big on their taxes. "You owe CRA $20k, and don't forget to tip me when you pick up the paperwork"
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #223
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Ha! I never really thought of the other side of it. I just assumed businesses were out to get every last dime they could possibly get.

I suggest turning the tip option back on, especially when someone owes big on their taxes. "You owe CRA $20k, and don't forget to tip me when you pick up the paperwork"
A common stigma against us poor business-folk.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-09-2017, 02:09 PM   #224
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is there any law requiring the establishment to advertise their tipping policy?

7 of us went to a steakhouse in Banff over the weekend. Our server was terrible and kind of rude. We were debating just how much we would tip, until the bill came and had an automatic 18% gratuity.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #225
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Is there any law requiring the establishment to advertise their tipping policy?

7 of us went to a steakhouse in Banff over the weekend. Our server was terrible and kind of rude. We were debating just how much we would tip, until the bill came and had an automatic 18% gratuity.
Well...I think its printed on the menu normally that 18% is automatic for groups of 6 or more.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #226
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Depending on tip out 5% could be -1%.
Well I guess the house tip-out structure should look at changing with the $3 jump in minimum wage then.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:32 PM   #227
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Well I guess the house tip-out structure should look at changing with the $3 jump in minimum wage then.
I'd hope not cooks are underpaid significantly relative to servers.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:58 PM   #228
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I'd hope not cooks are underpaid significantly relative to servers.
So then tipping below the theoretical 8% closes that gap, and they're both around $17 an hour.

Back when I used to work in the significantly underpaid portion of the bar, minimum wage for the service industry was (IIRC) 20% less than the rest of the province's minimum wage. That gap was eliminated. Then wages went up. So over the course of 4 years in Alberta, min wage for servers/service staff went from $9.20 to $15. What is that, a 62% wage increase over 4 years?

The only reason I've tipped above 5-10% in the past was because I recall what it was like working for wages below the rest of the province's minimum. Since wages have skyrocketed for the industry, personally I'm not going to care if the server is losing 1% of tips to pay the kitchen out, because they haven't adapted the tip structure with wages. I have no idea why people would still be tipping over 10% with the spike in wages.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:14 PM   #229
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
So then tipping below the theoretical 8% closes that gap, and they're both around $17 an hour.

Back when I used to work in the significantly underpaid portion of the bar, minimum wage for the service industry was (IIRC) 20% less than the rest of the province's minimum wage. That gap was eliminated. Then wages went up. So over the course of 4 years in Alberta, min wage for servers/service staff went from $9.20 to $15. What is that, a 62% wage increase over 4 years?

The only reason I've tipped above 5-10% in the past was because I recall what it was like working for wages below the rest of the province's minimum. Since wages have skyrocketed for the industry, personally I'm not going to care if the server is losing 1% of tips to pay the

kitchen out, because they haven't adapted the tip structure with wages. I have no idea why people would still be tipping over 10% with the spike in wages.
IF you are going to tip below 6% you should find out what the tip out is at each restaurant you go to and boycott them. It's not fair to the server if they pay to serve you.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #230
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Personally, I prefer the European philosophy. Hourly wages are much, much higher and a tip is something you give only when service is exemplary--it is typically not expected. I know it doesn't fly here because of North America's demand for quick service, but when you eat out there, it's more like a 2-3 hour event (and costs a lot more) so people don't do it as often (relatively speaking).

Just my personal preference having lived in both places.
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ASP#26525 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 04:35 AM   #231
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Minimum wage in Alberta is $12.20. $15 is still 19 months away. People are snobbing on servers for a small raise that they haven't even gotten yet.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Yamoto For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 05:35 AM   #232
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP#26525 View Post
Personally, I prefer the European philosophy. Hourly wages are much, much higher and a tip is something you give only when service is exemplary--it is typically not expected. I know it doesn't fly here because of North America's demand for quick service, but when you eat out there, it's more like a 2-3 hour event (and costs a lot more) so people don't do it as often (relatively speaking).

Just my personal preference having lived in both places.
Even better is the Australian or Kiwi way. Thanking them for wonderful service is the tip and you'll get a big smile and thank you back.

Seriously, good servers in bars/nightclubs make a fortune, $20-30 an hour tax free tips and $12 and hour on the books. A good hard working server can make $80-90k a year and pay $5-6 grand in taxes.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:50 AM   #233
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Even better is the Australian or Kiwi way. Thanking them for wonderful service is the tip and you'll get a big smile and thank you back.

Seriously, good servers in bars/nightclubs make a fortune, $20-30 an hour tax free tips and $12 and hour on the books. A good hard working server can make $80-90k a year and pay $5-6 grand in taxes.
don't even have to be a good hard worker. just good looking, if you're female.

plus if you work in a bar, all the extra you make by short pouring, adding drinks to tabs of drunk people, getting drinks bought for you and just taking the money, etc.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:09 AM   #234
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:

I remember eating in Banff one night and having a horrible Australian server. She must have thought she was doing a good job though because she was so up beat. The bill was like whatever, 80 bucks or something, I think I tipped her 5 or 6 bucks and she was SO happy and grateful. I just wanted to shake her and say no, this is an insult and a reflection of your poor service!!
Old 02-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #235
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
I agree, at that level Canadian beef wins. But in Canada there's really no point in going for a really high-end steak because of the consistency. In the U.S. it's a lot more worth it to go to a high-end steakhouse because you're guaranteed it will be of outstanding quality.

In Canada, I've never found any sort of difference between mid-level and high-end steak to the point where I've stopped going out for steak in Canada. It's just not worth it.
May I direct you to the steakhouse in Longview, AB
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #236
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep I absolutely love not having to tip. The only negative is with the high minimum wage and servers being paid by the establishments and not customers is less servers are hired resulting in many pubs and cafes not having table service. That is a small price to pay (pun intended) however.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 02-10-2017 at 01:48 PM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:46 PM   #237
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Oh yes....

Old 02-11-2017, 07:35 PM   #238
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Actually, and I'll tell you, as a business owner this drives me crazy, those goddamned Point of Sale machines are ridiculous!

I hate being propositioned every other day for a new POS provider with lower rates and all their BS, but mostly, those goddamned POS machines are complicated!

I had a tip feature on mine because its default, it took me forever to figure out how to undo it.

Honestly, I do taxes for a living and here I am in my office with the manual to the stupid debit machine to try and figure out how to de-activate the tip function. And people think my job is incomprehensible.

The manual to a POS machine. Have you seen the size of that document? You could have the cure for cancer or the recipe for turning lead into gold in there and nobody would ever know. Granted my new one is very easy and much less complicated.

So dont always get too fussy when you see an option for the tip to come up, it could easily just be that this is how it was setup and nobody knows how to change it.

I actually should turn that function back on just to see the reactions.

But I wont. Because I hate it too.
That would be awesome for fun. "Uhh Mr. Smith, I can't help but notice you skipped the 20% tip option on this $2000 bill for your business taxes".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #239
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post

I was intrigued by your comment/suggestion and I tried finding this place online. I have driven down to Longview a few times and had some lunch/drinks at the hotel/ bar there but couldn't find this place until I read this thread.

I can't find a website for this place to actually check out the menu. Any recommendations ? The pictures I found online look impressive.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote