Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2015, 11:03 PM   #2121
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Coiler fans giving lessons on how to draft outside the top pick. Derp!
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2015, 11:18 PM   #2122
flame^thrower
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RITFW View Post
"In case" ? Now there's confidence. He's probably a great guy and a better hockey player than you and I will ever be but my point is this: had he been picked were he was projected and should have been he would not be wasting anyones time. He'd simply be some guy who got drafted who's now selling insurance or whatever when he finishes school. But you can just go nuts saving every quote slighting this young fella so you can maybe possibly get some sorta 'got ya' down the road without thinking maybe he's a bust. Bottom line is he was a wasted pick in the first round. But it coulda been much worse - it could have been in a strong draft. Anything he shows professionally is an extreme bonus. Deal with it or just forget him.
I don't think he is the one wasting anyones time ...
flame^thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flame^thrower For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2015, 11:28 PM   #2123
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
derp!
Ok, you win, I've never laughed at something on CP so much as when I realized what you did there.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2015, 12:07 AM   #2124
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"In case" ? Now there's confidence. He's probably a great guy and a better hockey player than you and I will ever be but my point is this: had he been picked were he was projected and should have been he would not be wasting anyones time. He'd simply be some guy who got drafted who's now selling insurance or whatever when he finishes school. But you can just go nuts saving every quote slighting this young fella so you can maybe possibly get some sorta 'got ya' down the road without thinking maybe he's a bust. Bottom line is he was a wasted pick in the first round. But it coulda been much worse - it could have been in a strong draft. Anything he shows professionally is an extreme bonus. Deal with it or just forget him.
You must not be getting any. Chill out
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:13 AM   #2125
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Were was he projected?
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:24 AM   #2126
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
really off the board pick

Mark Jankowski THW Close-Up:

Date of birth: September 13th, 1994
Place of birth: Dundas, Ontario
Ht: 6-2 Wt: 175
Shoots: Left
Position: Center
NHL Draft Eligibility: 1st time eligible in 2012
THW Ranking (May): 42nd
Other Rankings

TSN Scout Craig Button: Mark is a late bloomer but certainly a testament to the adage; it doesn't matter where you start but where you finish. He was not on any scouting radar at the outset of this season but when he did appear, he became a bright, blinking light. He is an excellent skater with a long, efficient stride combined with agility, quickness and balance that allows him to impose himself on the game. He can beat defenders 1-1 and is capable of opening up ice for himself and breaking down opponents for his team's gain. His puck skills are very good, with his playmaking and passing taking the lead but his shot should not be underestimated. His sense and vision is excellent and he's capable of making plays that open up terrific offensive chances. He is unselfish to a fault but when the game is in the balance, he takes charge. He competes and works in all areas of the game and as he continues to physically mature, he has the potential to be that big, skilled center that NHL teams covet.

Follow him on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Janko61
Button had him as high as 14 but the general consensus was early 2nd round. We gotta stop feeding the derp.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:51 AM   #2127
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Bottom line is he was a wasted pick in the first round.
An Oiler fan talking about wasted picks?

We have a 6'4 Centre with sweet hands and good hockey sense marinating in the US College program while he fills out and matures. During that time he's been a contributor on a Frozen Four winning team and is now a leader on his defending champion team going into his final year.

Yea, that's a real "waste". lol

It's unreal the level of but-hurt from some Oiler fans who feel compelled to coming here to run their mouths because they're bitter and upset at watching some of the worst product in pro sports for the last 6+ years.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2015, 08:01 AM   #2128
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's probably worth noting for RITFW that Jankowski also plays an excellent two way game. Something Hall, Eberle, Yakupov and sometimes Hopkins struggle with immensely.
dieHARDflameZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #2129
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieHARDflameZ View Post
It's probably worth noting for RITFW that Jankowski also plays an excellent two way game. Something Hall, Eberle, Yakupov and sometimes Hopkins struggle with immensely.
Don't be silly.

Hall, Eberle, and Yakupov play an excellent two-way game.

When they have the puck, they do everything possible to help their team score.

When the other team has the puck, they do everything possible to help the other team score.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:40 AM   #2130
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I don't think many of us are actually pencilling Jankowski into a top six role because of a 4 point game in college.

I think it's a good sign that his game is developing (as we saw both defensively in college, and at summer camp this past year). That's a good sign, for sure but that's all it is.

If he's a bottom six player with size than he's a good pick as he was taken in the last 1/3 of the first round. That's all I'm really hoping for. I don't see him pushing Monahan and Bennett out of the way for star billing in Calgary.

However college kids are funny as they progress at a slower rate adjusting to playing against older players. When you age adjust college years and compare the guy to someone like Kreider he's actually progressing somewhat the same, that is if Jankowski is a point per game player this year.

Time will tell, but I'm certainly not putting him at the top of the prospect list, just happy to see him progress and see if there's an asset to be utilized at the end of the season.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #2131
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkahuna View Post
He was projected to go in the second round. Oilers fans might not understand, but second round picks can turn into good NHL players.
Zing
Old 10-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #2132
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Coiler fans giving lessons on how to draft outside the top pick. Derp!
Looking at Seguin, Forsberg, Eichel, I'm not sure they should even be giving advice on the top pick.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #2133
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Looking at Seguin, Forsberg, Eichel, I'm not sure they should even be giving advice on the top pick.
You aren't suggesting they should've picked Eichel over McDavid are you?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #2134
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Who cares about 1 attention seeking Oiler fan, let's keep this on topic. I wouldn't expect an Oiler fan to know the first thing about our prospects outside of their stat sheet. Like the fact Jankowski was the most impressive prospect at dev camp this summer. Or that he was a big part of Providence winning the championship last season.

Now that he's filled into his body, if Jankowski can breakout offensively this season I'll be penciling him into that 3C spot in 2016.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #2135
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
Who cares about 1 attention seeking Oiler fan, let's keep this on topic. I wouldn't expect an Oiler fan to know the first thing about our prospects outside of their stat sheet. Like the fact Jankowski was the most impressive prospect at dev camp this summer. Or that he was a big part of Providence winning the championship last season.

Now that he's filled into his body, if Jankowski can breakout offensively this season I'll be penciling him into that 3C spot in 2016.
Pretty safe bet he spends next year in Stockton
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:37 AM   #2136
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Pretty safe bet he spends next year in Stockton
I'm not so sure. 4 years in college is a lot different than 4 years in the CHL. If he showed more offense last year the flames probably would of signed him as the rest of his game is nhl ready IMO.

And maybe he won't even sign with us unless he gets some nhl action towards the end of this season, hard to say right now.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #2137
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was he on the cover of The Hockey News Draft Preview?

Nope, then according to Oilers draft strategy he was a wasted pick.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:02 PM   #2138
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
I'm not so sure. 4 years in college is a lot different than 4 years in the CHL. If he showed more offense last year the flames probably would of signed him as the rest of his game is nhl ready IMO.

And maybe he won't even sign with us unless he gets some nhl action towards the end of this season, hard to say right now.
Perhaps he wanted to finish college instead of signing.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:07 PM   #2139
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Perhaps he wanted to finish college instead of signing.
I think Darren Haynes posted a blog that Jankowski wanted to go pro this year, but the Flames thought it was better he went back for his senior season.

edit:
http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2015/...o-wannabe.html

Also should note, Jankowski had nothing but good things to say about the Flames organization FWIW.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2015, 01:23 PM   #2140
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was better for both sides to have him remain in college. He has more time to put muscle on and the Flames really have a roster crunch at all levels. Keeping him out of that for another year allows the Flames to make up their mind on another prospect/NHL roster player instead of having him there.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote