Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #181
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know from a very reliable source that Ben Bishop and Jimmy Howard can be grabbed. Would either interest you guys? If so, what would the Flames need to trade?
Old 02-15-2016, 05:54 PM   #182
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
I know from a very reliable source that Ben Bishop and Jimmy Howard can be grabbed. Would either interest you guys? If so, what would the Flames need to trade?
Not a huge fan of Howard. Only way we take him is if the Wings take a salary dump back like Wideman or Raymond. Even then I dunno.

Bishop has a NMC so he'd have to approve a trade. They'd probably want a fair amount for him. I'd be interested depending on price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2016, 05:55 PM   #183
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Howard is trash and on an extended contract. Don't know why anyone would want that anchor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2016, 05:57 PM   #184
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
Jimmy Howard is a name that has popped up a little bit the last few weeks and isn't someone I'd be opposed to getting. However, there's a lot of risk with taking on his deal and lately he has looked no better than either Hiller or Ramo. The guy looked like hot garbage today against the Isles. Perhaps a change of scenery to a team where he has more certainty on his #1 status would allow him to rebound. Still, pretty risky.

Bishop I'd acquire in a heart beat. Him and Andersen might be the only 2 legitimate #1 goaltenders on the market when everything is all said and done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Super-Rye For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2016, 06:02 PM   #185
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes to Bishop, no to Howard.

I honestly can see one Bishop or Reimer being Flames at some point. Either deadline(Reimer more likely, I assume) or in the offseason.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:04 PM   #186
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Bishop scares me because he reminds me of Hiller in allowing goals due to relying on positioning.

He looked awful when Tampa came here. If I recall correctly we hit a couple crossbars and Hamilton nailed the knob of his stick where Bishop didn't even see the puck at all. I'm not a fan of his style at all.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #187
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Both can't be worse than Hiller or Ramo
Old 02-15-2016, 06:23 PM   #188
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Bishop scares me because he reminds me of Hiller in allowing goals due to relying on positioning.

He looked awful when Tampa came here. If I recall correctly we hit a couple crossbars and Hamilton nailed the knob of his stick where Bishop didn't even see the puck at all. I'm not a fan of his style at all.
I agree.

I'd be especially leery of him because of the proposed reduction in goalie equipment size for next season. That's likely going to hurt the positional, blocking goalies more than the athletic ones.

The one advantage that Bishop has over Hiller is he's so big, that even with smaller equipment, he'll still cover a lot of the net.

I hope Treliving stays far away from Howard. Too much money for too long.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #189
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Howard, Reimer, and Bernier are all bottom 10 starting goalies. Andersen and Bishop are in the middle of the pack. It would be another group in the stop gap hotel. Bishop and Andersen are largely helped by the fact that Tampa and Anaheim have really good teams in front of them. Vasilevski and Gibson are the superior goaltenders.

If the acquisition cost is free or close to free, then it's fine. I'd rather go out and sign two of Raanta/Ward/Enroth than spend actual assets on any of those guys.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #190
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

His style is favoured by most goalies in the league for a reason - it works.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #191
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reimer
Ramo
Raanta
Bishop
Howard

Is the order of goalies I'd want next year. And besides Raanta, I'd only want one of the rest listed.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #192
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

If smaller goalie equipment happens, Bishop's play will drop with it. The guy is a moose carcus that sits in front of the net.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #193
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Howard, Reimer, and Bernier are all bottom 10 starting goalies. Andersen and Bishop are in the middle of the pack. It would be another group in the stop gap hotel. Bishop and Andersen are largely helped by the fact that Tampa and Anaheim have really good teams in front of them. Vasilevski and Gibson are the superior goaltenders.

If the acquisition cost is free or close to free, then it's fine. I'd rather go out and sign two of Raanta/Ward/Enroth than spend actual assets on any of those guys.

Reimer has a .926 save % and a 2.29 GAA in 29 games for the Leafs. He seems a low cost have l gamble.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #194
Illuminaughty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
His style is favoured by most goalies in the league for a reason - it works.
I fail to see how it's "favoured"? I'm sure if you'd ask bishop he'd would rather be an athletic goalie, then just a shot blocker.

The other question then becomes, if they change the goaltending equipment regulations, how well will that style fair.

I much prefer athletic goalies like Kipper to big shot blockers, shooters can adjust to a big flopper easier then crazy athleticism.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #195
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've always been worried about trading for Bishop of goalie gear rules are changed.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:38 PM   #196
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The only reason I would be wary about Bishop is cost-to-acquire.

This is one of the top ten goaltenders in the league. Bishop is the sole reason that Tampa even has a shot at the playoffs thanks to his outstanding play while they couldn't figure out how to put it in the back of the next at the beginning of the season. He's in Vezina conversation right now, and it's not the first time, it won't be the last.

Cost wise, Reimer seems like the most proven/lowest cost option. Plays REALLY well behind a terrible team. Could prove to be incredible in combination with our defence if they put it together.

No to Howard and Ward though. Too past their prime.

Raanta/Andersen are interesting but somewhat unknown as far as what you'll get. It's worrisome.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:40 PM   #197
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

edit: misread CG's post. He's right on.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:43 PM   #198
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the issue of goalie equipment is being overblown - he is among the biggest goalies now, and he'll still be among the biggest goalies when the equipment is smaller.

Everyone will shrink by essentially the same amount.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #199
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I think the issue of goalie equipment is being overblown - he is among the biggest goalies now, and he'll still be among the biggest goalies when the equipment is smaller.

I tend to agree with this-the bigger goalies will have smaller equipment, and their stats may suffer due to that-but the smaller goalies will have smaller equipment too.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:10 PM   #200
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

I agree but the real athletic goalies will come to the front. but likely the bigger athletic ones.
Closed Thread