Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2024, 08:59 PM   #181
jerichozo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Seahawks get the former U of W offensive coordinator Grubb that just went to Alabama as OC with the UofW head coach to replace Saban last month.

And plan to hire the Cowboys OLine coach Durde as defensive coordinator, though expect McDonald will pretty much run the defense.

So two new NFL coordinators and a first time coach. Seahawks also hired Leslie Frazier to give all these guys time "ex NFL head coach" support.

Certainly going to wait and see how this goes. JS picked these guys on his own, so if it flops, he's next to go.
I think he can address a lot of the issues that the Seahawks have. Some good defensive pieces but he can bring a great scheme. Plus they should have an air attack offensive with the receivers they have, I love Pete Carroll but I'm optimistic of the change.
jerichozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 09:01 PM   #182
jerichozo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Things could change of course (good draft, UFA haul etc), but I kinda feel like their window was 2-3 years ago. Feels like they already missed it, but we'll see. Overcoming Mahomes/Burrow/LJ every year is a tall order.
Yeah with the talent in the AFC it is tough but you surround Allen with help and who knows what could happen!

They very nearly took KC to overtime. They were super hot down the stretch. Yes the window is closing but Allen is still young.

I'm not a Buffalo fan but I like seeing them succeed.
jerichozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 08:02 AM   #183
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Things could change of course (good draft, UFA haul etc), but I kinda feel like their window was 2-3 years ago. Feels like they already missed it, but we'll see. Overcoming Mahomes/Burrow/LJ every year is a tall order.
As a pessimistic Bills fan I feel like 13 Seconds was probably it. Allen was practically perfect those two games and the defense let him down. Would love to be proven wrong though of course.
ajr4013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ajr4013 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 10:12 AM   #184
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr4013 View Post
As a pessimistic Bills fan I feel like 13 Seconds was probably it. Allen was practically perfect those two games and the defense let him down. Would love to be proven wrong though of course.
big fan of Josh Allen, would love to see the Bills get over the hump. As for the 13 seconds, what horrific coaching that was. Coaches love to over think it
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 12:07 PM   #185
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't sleep on Houston with Stroud on a rookie contract. They have cap space and NFL players know an elite QB on a deal like that gives them a chance to get paid and win. Most everyone else can only offer one of those.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:25 PM   #186
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep good point, Houston too. Another AFC obstacle for the Bills. Yeah we'll see, I just don't see it with them anymore.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 12:40 PM   #187
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr4013 View Post
The Bills have had ridiculous injury luck the last two seasons, particularly on defense. To come back and win the division like they did this last season with the guys they were rolling out was nothing short of a miracle.

I know every team deals with injury problems, etc. but it'd be interesting to see what this Bills team could've put together if they weren't losing critical defensive players to season enders in weeks 3-6 every year. Unfortunately Josh Allen's cap hit now erupts so they'll have to make some tough decisions and roll with a leaner roster.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 12:47 PM   #188
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep good point, Houston too. Another AFC obstacle for the Bills. Yeah we'll see, I just don't see it with them anymore.
Yeah, I kind think their window is closing/closed. Allen will always give them a chance, but that roster is getting pretty old and expensive.

They can play the "kick the can down the road" game that the Saints have been playing for years and restructure their aging veteran contracts, but we've seen how that results in diminishing returns and basically means you have to hit on all of your draft picks.

If they take this year to do a mini-rebuild/retool, restructure Allen, and either cut or trade some of some of their bigger contracts (e.g. Diggs, Miller, Douglas), they'll be in pretty good shape from 2025 onward.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 01:05 PM   #189
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Bills have some serious cap issues for next season
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 01:54 PM   #190
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Josh Allen also has issues with turnovers that have increased every year. 18 int and 5 fumbles lost last year.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 03:19 PM   #191
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
The Bills have some serious cap issues for next season
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/
It's not really as serious as it looks. Like I said, they can kick the can down the road a bit via restructures. Restructuring Allen, Miller, Diggs, and White + cutting Douglas, Harty, and Hines would give them about $25M in cap space.

The problem is you then have 3 players in Miller, Diggs, and White who are over 30 and going to carry cap hits of $20M -$25M+ for the next three years after this one. Generally not a recipe for success.

Were I the GM, the offseason would probably look like this:

1. Restructure Allen
2. Trade Diggs for picks and then try to move up in the draft to grab a WR
3. Designate Von Miller a post-June 1st cut
4. Restructure White and extend Tarron Johnson
5. Cut Douglas, Hines, and Harty

All of those moves would probably get them to $10-$15M under the cap for this season, and give them over $55M in cap space to play with in 2025. They'd also likely be getting comp picks for guys like Davis, Hyde, Floyd, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 03:24 PM   #192
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

On another note, holy crap are the Saints in cap hell. I have no doubt they'll get under the cap by restructuring contracts, but that team is going to have a bunch of expensive contracts on aging and average players.
Old 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM   #193
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Von Miller had 3 tackles, and made what 16 million? LOL
Old 02-22-2024, 03:30 PM   #194
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Von Miller had 3 tackles, and made what 16 million? LOL
Yeah, there's no way he's on that team next year without taking a massive paycut.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:18 PM   #195
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
On another note, holy crap are the Saints in cap hell. I have no doubt they'll get under the cap by restructuring contracts, but that team is going to have a bunch of expensive contracts on aging and average players.
Listen, getting the 2014, 3-13 Oakland Raiders band back together is a great idea and you know it.

Yeah they're basically going all in on Carr these next 2 seasons and try to field as competitive team as they can while they're stuck with him. It's certainly not the strategy I'd take, but he was a lot better down the stretch so we'll see. The NFC South should be a tire fire again anyway...

Last edited by Sainters7; 02-22-2024 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:50 PM   #196
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Listen, getting the 2014, 3-13 Oakland Raiders band back together is a great idea and you know it.

Yeah they're basically going all in on Carr these next 2 seasons and try to field as competitive team as they can while they're stuck with him. It's certainly not the strategy I'd take, but he was a lot better down the stretch so we'll see. The NFC South should be a tire fire again anyway...
You guys have dick all for draft capital again, too. I guess at least you have your 1 and 2 this year.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:03 PM   #197
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
You guys have dick all for draft capital again, too. I guess at least you have your 1 and 2 this year.
Yeah, and there's a lot of smoke about potential draft trades. Marshon Lattimore recently restructured his contract and notably signed an OPTION bonus instead of a signing bonus - meaning whatever team that has him on the roster pays it as opposed to just the Saints - that kicks in a week before the season starts. Certainly hints at a possible move. The Draft could be interesting..

Personally I'd love to see Kamara on a contender with a proper OL / offence, I think he'd resemble McCaffrey's resurgence in San Fran.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:07 AM   #198
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

NFL salary cap is set. An extra $30 million per club, wow.

https://twitter.com/NFLprguy/status/...pkmMIgaSw&s=19
Old 02-23-2024, 01:11 PM   #199
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alan Walsh ready to jump on that cap jump, like the NHL operates like the NFL.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:21 PM   #200
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
NFL salary cap is set. An extra $30 million per club, wow.

https://twitter.com/NFLprguy/status/...pkmMIgaSw&s=19
Makes eating that awful Russ contract slightly more palatable for Denver. George Paton only still has a job so if Sean Payton decided he needs a fall guy he has one.

Apparently the Denver media is now all over JJ to Denver. Good luck with that guys. Chargers if Harbaugh has his way are gonna get one of the stud lineman top 10. Probably get Corum late too, if they want to help Herbert they’re gonna need to actually run the ball
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote