Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2024, 11:02 PM   #19521
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Parker doesn’t deserve that kind of praise lol

I wonder if he knows what the military to civilian tank ownership ratio is
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 11:58 PM   #19522
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post

Might be worse than we think lol.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whynotnow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2024, 06:29 AM   #19523
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Personally I think one of the reasons why the federal government has somewhat paused the capital gains inclusion rate to 2/3 and not included it in the actual budget, is because of concerns with medical professionals. There could be some internal polling indicating a shocking amount of Dr's may leave Canada or retire early if this get's implemented or if there are not additional carve outs. Health care is a serious concern for Canadians and it's getting worse while we are going into an election year.
Prepare to be disappointed. First, I think they cut it out so that parties were on record for voting for or against that specific policy. The CPC hasn’t said anything and this forces a position.

Second, as a small business owner myself, there is really no reason that small businesses should get to invest and pay less taxes than an individual. That’s one of the points of this and some of the other things the Liberals have brought in. While some of those advantages were nice to have, the reality is they’re so difficult to justify. But, one of the major things this targets is the real estate ownership in a fair number of small businesses including medical practices. I do think it’s a little cumbersome (there are other ways they could’ve gone about it), but I do think it’s a consideration.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2024, 08:01 AM   #19524
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
UCP in Lacombe Ponoka keeping it .
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/ucp-yout...icer-1.6893404

Age range is 14-25.... "Youth"
I cant get over how creepy this is.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 09:07 AM   #19525
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Prepare to be disappointed. First, I think they cut it out so that parties were on record for voting for or against that specific policy. The CPC hasn’t said anything and this forces a position.

Second, as a small business owner myself, there is really no reason that small businesses should get to invest and pay less taxes than an individual. That’s one of the points of this and some of the other things the Liberals have brought in. While some of those advantages were nice to have, the reality is they’re so difficult to justify. But, one of the major things this targets is the real estate ownership in a fair number of small businesses including medical practices. I do think it’s a little cumbersome (there are other ways they could’ve gone about it), but I do think it’s a consideration.
Then they should have it the same as individuals and give corporations the first 250k at the 50% inclusion, no?
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 09:24 AM   #19526
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Prepare to be disappointed. First, I think they cut it out so that parties were on record for voting for or against that specific policy. The CPC hasn’t said anything and this forces a position..
Agree with this point.
The changes are also meant to get at the capital gains from inheritances …. basically an inheritance tax without calling it that
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 09:46 AM   #19527
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 09:53 AM   #19528
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
I cant get over how creepy this is.
You have to wonder why they chose 25 as the upper limit. Is that because women's fertility declines after 25? (I don't know if that's true). I'm surprised they didn't have separate age ranges based on gender. 14 - 25 for girls and women and 18 - 40 for men.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 10:15 AM   #19529
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentoman View Post
Agree with this point.
The changes are also meant to get at the capital gains from inheritances …. basically an inheritance tax without calling it that
That’s already taxed. If you have non-registered assets and die, it’s a deemed disposition and your estate pays those taxes. If that’s over $250k in gains, you will pay more under this, but here’s the thing people have to accept; no one feels bad for you because you have a capital gain and it’s over $250,000 in a single year and end up paying a little more tax. Public sympathy is just not there.

And as far as why they started the corporations at zero, if you do the math and even things out you get super close to the 2/3 figure between a corporation and individual. So, I can understand why they’ve taken that step.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 10:59 AM   #19530
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are two transfers of wealth occurring. I believe that you already have to pay handsomely as a part of the immigration process, and now you have to pay for the expect transfer of property from boomers to X and millennials. A lot of people will have to sell that property, not being able to pay the tax, and that will help with the housing crisis.

Transfer of wealth from generational age out moves to the government. It's a win-win-win for them.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:38 PM   #19531
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
That’s already taxed. If you have non-registered assets and die, it’s a deemed disposition and your estate pays those taxes. If that’s over $250k in gains, you will pay more under this, but here’s the thing people have to accept; no one feels bad for you because you have a capital gain and it’s over $250,000 in a single year and end up paying a little more tax. Public sympathy is just not there.
Yes, obviously that is taxed. But now it will be taxed more … like an inheritance tax. Public sympathy has nothing to do with it
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 07:37 AM   #19532
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looks like the ucp Groomer dance for 14 to 25 year olds has been cancelled.

But Premier Ivermectin is still on the vaccine denier train...

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says she supports an upcoming United Conservative Party event that casts doubt on#COVID-19 vaccine#safety.

The event, called#“An Injection of Truth”, is a town hall that organizers claim will provide scientific data regarding the negative impact of the COVID-19 mRNA vaccine on children.

William Makis is one of the speakers scheduled to be at the June 17 event in Calgary. Although he claims he was wrongfully terminated, his practice permit was suspended by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta.

Another scheduled panellist, Chris Shoemaker, had his licensce suspended in 2023.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10511738/...ine-town-hall/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 07:39 AM   #19533
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

All information that would have been great to have before an election so reasonable voters could have not made such a dumb decision, right? Right???
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 07:41 AM   #19534
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
William Makis is one of the speakers scheduled to be at the June 17 event in Calgary. Although he claims he was wrongfully terminated, his practice permit was suspended by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta.
Guy is a popcorn-worthy Twitter weirdo though, anytime anyone brings up that he's an unlicensed quack, he whips out an email he got from the CPSA that addresses him as "Dr. Makis" as proof that they still consider him a doctor.

Just embarrassingly pathetic stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 07:44 AM   #19535
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He is a giant turd.
He seems to like accusing people of dying from the VaCciNe if there isnt a cause of death listed immediately after someone dies. Example would be the cnn personality that died at 58 late last week
Old 05-21-2024, 08:04 AM   #19536
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Never not funny that the people to whom COVID was no big deal and wanted everyone to move on as fast as possible are the people still obsessed with it.

No wonder the pathetic “quiet majority” UCP voters stay silent. Adults too busy searching for “the truth” in between party-organized speed-dating sessions with 14 year old kids.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 08:15 AM   #19537
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Never not funny that the people to whom COVID was no big deal and wanted everyone to move on as fast as possible are the people still obsessed with it.

No wonder the pathetic “quiet majority” UCP voters stay silent. Adults too busy searching for “the truth” in between party-organized speed-dating sessions with 14 year old kids.
It's so that they can keep molding our society to their demented world view. Unfortunately that world is flat and/or 6000 years old.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 08:19 AM   #19538
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am wondering which ucp mla will have Harrison Butker at their next get together.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:41 AM   #19539
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently the UCP cancelled their “youth” “dance” in Ponoka

Edit: puffnstuff already posted an article

Last edited by iggy_oi; 05-21-2024 at 09:57 AM.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:33 AM   #19540
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post

David Parker is more like this Cyrus: