Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2024, 06:40 AM   #9081
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally caught American Fiction last night. I have to say that this might be the best show I've seen in a while. Very well acted, great story, poignant. Really well done and worth the watch.
9/10

Last edited by Cheese; 05-18-2024 at 11:32 AM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 11:56 AM   #9082
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I absolutely loved Amy Winehouse, I can't count the amount of times I played Back to Black in the day. Massive fan so I was going to see this regardless.

It's not one of the better music biopics out there, it has some of the same cliches of how the artist/performer told off the record label and stood by their vision, etc. The Queen movie was really bad with that cheesy stuff and this is no different. The actress playing Amy had an incredibly tough assignment, but she was very good when you consider how completely unique Amy was. I wish we could have got another album from her, but more importantly it's incredibly sad she didn't survive her addictions and depression. So much talent and such a huge loss.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 12:55 PM   #9083
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I absolutely loved Amy Winehouse, I can't count the amount of times I played Back to Black in the day. Massive fan so I was going to see this regardless.

It's not one of the better music biopics out there, it has some of the same cliches of how the artist/performer told off the record label and stood by their vision, etc. The Queen movie was really bad with that cheesy stuff and this is no different. The actress playing Amy had an incredibly tough assignment, but she was very good when you consider how completely unique Amy was. I wish we could have got another album from her, but more importantly it's incredibly sad she didn't survive her addictions and depression. So much talent and such a huge loss.
The Amy Winehouse documentary 'Amy' is excellent. At the end, you will be sad and hate all the right people.
Old 05-18-2024, 01:14 PM   #9084
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That documentary is infinitely better than the movie, same with the 2018 Back to Black BluRay release which has a lot of footage from the studio/writing sessions and interviews with the producers which I always find far more interesting than the personal aspect and the tragedy. She really was incredible.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 03:45 PM   #9085
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare.

Gotta say...pretty good. It was a fun movie, its not going to rank up with the current crop of classics like Dunkirk or 1917, its nowhere near that level, but its still a fun movie.

The major hurdle it faces is the same as most movies of its genre...theres too many people to keep track of.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 11:11 PM   #9086
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I watched the Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare.

Gotta say...pretty good. It was a fun movie, its not going to rank up with the current crop of classics like Dunkirk or 1917, its nowhere near that level, but its still a fun movie.

The major hurdle it faces is the same as most movies of its genre...theres too many people to keep track of.
That's called going A Bridge Too Far. Ahem.
Old 05-19-2024, 01:32 AM   #9087
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Finally caught American Fiction last night. I have to say that this might be the best show I've seen in a while. Very well acted, great story, poignant. Really well done and worth the watch.
9/10
I actually fell asleep about 40 minutes in and waited a week to finish it, I probably wouldn't have bothered but the hype at the oscars made me resume.

In the end yeah it was very good, amazing it was somewhat a true story.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 01:19 PM   #9088
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back in the 60s their was a brief fad of teen beach movies which involved romance, music and girls in bikinis. I watched one of them "How to Stuff a Wild Bikini" and yea the film makes absolutely no sense. I don't think they put much thought into the plots for these films, selling them purely on sex appeal. The story is actually insane, so basically a soldier stationed on a Pacific island is cheating on his girl with a local girl but then wonders if his girl is cheating on him. So he goes to a witch doctor to prevent his girl from cheating on him so he conjures up a girl so beautiful all the men back home wont pay attention to his girl and fall for this new girl. It also involves a motorcycle race between some greasers and an ad executive.

While I didn't think the film was good, I'm always curious to see older popular films. I'm going to try another beach movie maybe this just isn't one of the better ones.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 08:30 PM   #9089
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re-watching 'The Impossible.'

Meh...I've had worse holidays.

They build character.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-19-2024, 11:59 PM   #9090
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Went to see the Fall Guy tonight. I found it to be hilariously awesome.

As a side note my one screen theatre here in High River didn't plan for such a large turnout of people and was short staffed behind the concession counter. Knowing the owner I took off my jacket and started to fill all the soft drink orders while the young lad did the popcorn with the owner doing the box office. We ended up making a good team and got the orders filled quickly and efficiently
Old 05-20-2024, 08:26 AM   #9091
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Back in the 60s their was a brief fad of teen beach movies which involved romance, music and girls in bikinis. I watched one of them "How to Stuff a Wild Bikini" and yea the film makes absolutely no sense. I don't think they put much thought into the plots for these films, selling them purely on sex appeal. The story is actually insane, so basically a soldier stationed on a Pacific island is cheating on his girl with a local girl but then wonders if his girl is cheating on him. So he goes to a witch doctor to prevent his girl from cheating on him so he conjures up a girl so beautiful all the men back home wont pay attention to his girl and fall for this new girl. It also involves a motorcycle race between some greasers and an ad executive.

While I didn't think the film was good, I'm always curious to see older popular films. I'm going to try another beach movie maybe this just isn't one of the better ones.

Never seen it, but Beach Blanket Bingo with Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello seems to the most highly-regarded.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2024, 12:24 PM   #9092
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Caine Mutiny Court Martial - I understand there was a previous film starring Humphrey Bogart which I haven't seen. This one stars Kiefer Sutherland, Monica Raymund, Jason Clarke, and Lance Reddick (RIP). The entire movie takes place in the courtroom, and I thought Sutherland's performance was quite good and different than what we usually see from Kiefer once he started 24. I quite enjoyed it, and although the ending was a bit twist-ish, it was well done.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 03:54 PM   #9093
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few good military courtroom dramas out there: a few good men, paths to glory (more politics than court, i guess) . Caine mutiny has been done a half a dozen times, but I think you touched on the only two worth looking for.
Old 05-20-2024, 04:42 PM   #9094
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
A few good military courtroom dramas out there: a few good men, paths to glory (more politics than court, i guess) . Caine mutiny has been done a half a dozen times, but I think you touched on the only two worth looking for.
Simpson Tide.

Old 05-20-2024, 05:39 PM   #9095
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
Watched Brazil (Terry Gilliam's satiric riff on Orwell. Evidently he wanted to call it 1984 1/2) last night for the first time in years. Very odd, very good:

I'm a quiet guy and I still remember saying 'OH NO' at the end.

Such a good movie through and through.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 06:52 PM   #9096
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Watched Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes and glad I saw it in the theatre, lots of big vistas and sweeping music. Amazing how far the digital effects have come.

Enjoyed it quite a bit. I can see how some people don't like it but I really like that it's a slow burn. I like that they gave it lots of time to breathe and just world build with the small (or big) shots and interactions and dialog. Maybe it's partly just appreciation for something so different than the recent fare but I'm really glad they made it the way they did.

It probably isn't as strong as the previous few but it's setting up a new trilogy so that's to be expected.. it's not without its flaws and I'll probably think of more of the plot holes as time goes on but at the end of the day it does what the previous 3 did.. it made me want to spend more time in the universe and it feels like that's not something we get a lot of these days.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:08 PM   #9097
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't seen any of the newer planet of the apes movies, would you guys recommend them overall? I skipped the first one because I don't like James Franco, so just haven't taken a look since
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 09:22 PM   #9098
BigThief
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Haven't seen any of the newer planet of the apes movies, would you guys recommend them overall? I skipped the first one because I don't like James Franco, so just haven't taken a look since
Oh, they're fantastic movies. Franco is a turd but it's a great trilogy.
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigThief For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2024, 09:34 PM   #9099
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also I didn't realize until recently that he's only in the first one.

I'm sure I can power through that
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 09:56 PM   #9100
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Also I didn't realize until recently that he's only in the first one.

I'm sure I can power through that
He's also not really in much of it. It's all Serkis' Caesar.

They are definitely up there with some of the best series.