Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2024, 04:39 PM   #21
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I wish Craig Berube was hired to be our HC.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 06:15 PM   #22
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Did Toronto hire Berube?

Threads aplenty.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 06:42 PM   #23
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well he's definitely going to provide a different approach compared to Keefe. Not exactly sure he's a great fit for the roster but they should at the very least become a bit grittier under him even if there will be some hurt feelings in the locker room. I still don't like the makeup of the roster as the defensive group and goaltending is bottom half of the league.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 06:45 PM   #24
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I think this is a bad hire for the Leafs. I don't see this working out at all which is a good thing. I think you are going to see a lot of butting heads between players and coach and guys offensive totals go down. The Leafs didn't have a coaching problem, they have a roster problem.
I suspect Marner especially wont like Berube's style one bit.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 11:19 AM   #25
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, apparently, Boomer mentioned on Barn Burner that Savard is leaving for the Leafs? Not sure how that works when he still has 2 years on his contract. But Boomer isn't the kind of dude to throw things out there that he hasn't heard directly.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 11:32 AM   #26
Tuco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
So, apparently, Boomer mentioned on Barn Burner that Savard is leaving for the Leafs? Not sure how that works when he still has 2 years on his contract. But Boomer isn't the kind of dude to throw things out there that he hasn't heard directly.

Best news of the Flames off-season.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 01:08 PM   #27
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Teams don't usually get in the way of assistant coaches leaving for a better opportunity. Usually it is for them to become a head coach though. Savard is an assistant in Calgary and could be offered associate role in Toronto.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 01:11 PM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

And I'm sure after the typically thorough and exhaustive 'Treliving Coach Searching Process.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 01:20 PM   #29
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Savard rumor is true, then I'd like to see Tanguay as a potential replacement. Perhaps he can also get an associate role.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 06:20 PM   #30
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
If the Savard rumor is true, then I'd like to see Tanguay as a potential replacement. Perhaps he can also get an associate role.
The chatter last summer was that Tanguay has no interest leaving the Wings for an associate role when he's already an associate there.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:23 AM   #31
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The chatter last summer was that Tanguay has no interest leaving the Wings for an associate role when he's already an associate there.
That makes a lot of sense. I'm sure there are plenty of talented coaches for the job. I mean if Gulutzan can run the best PP in the league...
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:26 AM   #32
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Berube media introduction happening now live on SN.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:31 AM   #33
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Leafs had the 7th best PP, so they will poach a guy coached the 26th ranked PP?

The roster is flawed, that is the issue. Also these guys are going to have a hard time, you have a generational goal scorer playing for a coach who has never had anyone score more than 37 goals under him.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 02:03 PM   #34
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
The Leafs had the 7th best PP, so they will poach a guy coached the 26th ranked PP?

The roster is flawed, that is the issue. Also these guys are going to have a hard time, you have a generational goal scorer playing for a coach who has never had anyone score more than 37 goals under him.
Yep. The typical Treliving fix is to find a new coach to 'tweak' the system when in reality, it's the flawed roster and the GMs inability to correct it that ends up holding everything back over and over.
Old 05-21-2024, 04:25 PM   #35
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Yep. The typical Treliving fix is to find a new coach to 'tweak' the system when in reality, it's the flawed roster and the GMs inability to correct it that ends up holding everything back over and over.
Actually, not sure if you watched the press conference, but based on what was said, Tre seemed to hint that the roster is the issue here. Based on what I saw today, as with most people, Tre has learned a lot during his stint with the Flames.
Old 05-21-2024, 04:26 PM   #36
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
It would be very Calgary for him to go there and the PP be amazing
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 07:04 PM   #37
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually, not sure if you watched the press conference, but based on what was said, Tre seemed to hint that the roster is the issue here. Based on what I saw today, as with most people, Tre has learned a lot during his stint with the Flames.

I don't think it's Tre. I think Shanahan has traditionally called the shots with the big guns. Skill should generally not be given up on easily. Shanahan has decided to this point to keep the three young guns while changing out the supporting pieces to see if the supporting pieces are the problem. After a few years of the same old thing happening again, it's pretty clear that it's now come down to his core young guys being skilled AF, but not having that playoff grit needed. With enough of a sample Shanahan can fairly assume it's on the core primarily, not carrying them there. Treliving is going to be tasked with a trade that's not going to be good one for one, and he'll surely lose out on, on paper. I'm thinking it'll be akin to the Subban for Weber deal where everyone thought on paper giving up a young Subban for an old Weber was a bad deal (before Subban tanking). I truly think it'll be similar in many ways. I could even see Marner dealt for picks at the draft, then those picks dealt for a dman, while Tre tries signing Marchessault and Toffoli. Essentially making it a 3 for 1 through dealing Marner's salary. Should be interesting.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote