Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2024, 02:41 PM   #201
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Has Nick Fotiu been mentioned in this thread yet?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 04:54 PM   #202
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Gary Leeman, end of discussion
Phaneuf_Phan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phaneuf_Phan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 05:09 PM   #203
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Look I'm not saying they're definitively, after an extremely comprehensive analysis by a panel of experts, the worst. They're just the three I think of first because they stand out in my memory.

That said, wanna take a crack at guessing the identities of the following, based on their NHL career stat lines?

Player 1: 169 GP, 7 G, 9 A, 16 P, 266 PIM
Player 2: 155 GP, 2 G, 4 A, 6 P, 260 PIM
Player 3: 37 GP, 0 G, 4 A, 4 P, 118 PIM
Player 4: 25 GP, 0 G, 0 A, 0 P, 117 PIM

Spoiler!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'm talking Westgarth as a Flame. My memory of him is that he never played shifts and just got in the ice during TV timeouts. He did somehow manage seven points.
Stats with the Flames:

Kevin Westgarth - 36 GP, 4 G, 3 A, 7 P, 64 PIM
Sami Helenius, Sasha Lakovic & Rocky Thompson combined - 41 GP, 0 G, 2 A, 2 P, 148 PIM

timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 05:12 PM   #204
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

i just checked Nick Fotiu stats on Hockey Db, apparently he played for the New Jersey Rockin Rollers in a roller hockey league. He even played 1 game for the Oilers, didnt recall that
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 05:45 PM   #205
mogg
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
i just checked Nick Fotiu stats on Hockey Db, apparently he played for the New Jersey Rockin Rollers in a roller hockey league. He even played 1 game for the Oilers, didnt recall that
He was actually the Rockin Rollers coach and GM, in addition to suiting up for a few games.
mogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 06:03 PM   #206
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Both Fotiu and Joe Mullen played youth roller hockey in the NYC area before transitioning to the ice variety.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 06:14 PM   #207
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as we hoped they could realise their former glories, Fuhr and Jagr were clearly both past their sell-by dates when they played for the Flames.

There were various other vets of lesser name that also proved to be duds but I guess expectations were lower and so they are less notable.

On the contrary, I remember when Martin Gelinas was signed: my dad and I rolled our eyes and thought "he's so old" but cemented himself in Flames lore and proved to be one of the best free agent signings. Crazy to think he was both an Oiler and a Canuck before joining Calgary, given how impactful he was for us. But I digress.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:55 AM   #208
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Clark Wilm
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 12:06 PM   #209
Tibnadian_tpd
Draft Pick

I don't know about worst player, but the worst play I saw during my childhood was made by Trent Yawney. It was a treat to be able to stay up late as a kid, and I remember having an excuse to be up if the Flames were involved in playoff overtime. Of course I wanted the Flames to win, but I kind of enjoyed the fact playoff overtimes could go on forever, prolonging my night. Back in 1996, the Flames went to triple OT with the Hawks and Trent Yawney had possession of the puck behind our net where he attempted to make a first pass out of our zone while almost stationary. He ended up making that first pass directly onto the tape of Joe Murphy, and the Flames were eliminated. Coincidentally, that was also the game Iginla scored his first goal in the NHL, so it ruined what could have been an extra magical night. Trent Yawney also lived in my teacher's neighbourhood, and signed an O-Pee-Chee hockey card for me, so he was a nice guy to me.
Tibnadian_tpd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tibnadian_tpd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 12:11 PM   #210
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another vote for Anders Eriksson.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 09:11 PM   #211
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
True enough, but he was a fan favourite, and in 1986 his presence neutralized the Oilers’ goons, and this played a big part in the Flames being able to outplay the Oilers over the course of that series - the Flames would probably have won in game 6 if Johnson had gone with Vernon instead of Lemelin
Actually Vernon played game 6. Lemelinplayed game 2 in Edmonton after Vernon was hurt in game 1.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:12 PM   #212
BigThief
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Paul Baxter, have had some interactions with him and he's arrogant and a curmudgeon
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 09:33 PM   #213
STAMPEDRED
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You know you gotta credit James Neal some what.

He sucked so bad we sow how traded him to Edmonton to which we got decent years out of Lucic, and Neal not to be out done doubled down and got the oilers to buy him out and cost them significant cap space for a few years.

Thanks Neal, apology received!

Regehr for Butler- oh man that guy!… forget worst Flame, Feaster is hall of fame worthy for worst GM. Never hire a lawyer!! Really made it hard to stomach being a Flames fan for a few years. Treliving left us a huboy doosey sadly, but Feaster was a piece of work all on his own.
STAMPEDRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 09:33 PM   #214
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThief View Post
Paul Baxter, have had some interactions with him and he's arrogant and a curmudgeon
Just waiting around for timbit to like this post.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 08:25 AM   #215
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

James Neal has to be up there at least as an UFA signing. He had a terrible attitude even before he played a single game, don't think I've ever seen that before.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 08:48 AM   #216
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

What exactly happened with James Neal? Some posters seem to know what went down but has anything actually come out? Even if not in full I'd like to know what happened.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 09:24 AM   #217
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
What exactly happened with James Neal? Some posters seem to know what went down but has anything actually come out? Even if not in full I'd like to know what happened.
I remember when he was asked about joining the Flames, the answer he gave was totally unisnpiring and made it clear that it was all about money. Or that's the feeling that I remember having. Plus it seemed like he was a sourpuss and didn't get along with anyone.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 09:47 AM   #218
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Stats with the Flames:

Kevin Westgarth - 36 GP, 4 G, 3 A, 7 P, 64 PIM
Sami Helenius, Sasha Lakovic & Rocky Thompson combined - 41 GP, 0 G, 2 A, 2 P, 148 PIM

I also mentioned before - I am intentionally omitting players who played less than half a season.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 09:58 AM   #219
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Actually Vernon played game 6. Lemelinplayed game 2 in Edmonton after Vernon was hurt in game 1.
I must have mixed up the games - I just recall (unless my memory is also failing me here) that Lemelin got lit up for a lot of goals when he started in place of Vernon in one of the games in that series -I didn’t realize it was because of a Vernon injury.
My point about Fotiu still stands - Not a great player, but he intimidated the Oiler’s goons.
Steve Bozek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:41 AM   #220
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
Clark Wilm

At least Wilm had a couple 10-goal seasons for the Flames. He played 70 games in Toronto and had 1 goal.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote