Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2024, 12:28 AM   #3041
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
Getting x2 top 10 picks would be huge for this franchise.

Going forward with something like iginla + buium would really Kickstart whatever we're doing here.

I doubt marky or rasmus can get one though. Those picks just don't get traded around the draft. I do think we could snag a 10-15 pick though from Detroit, NJ or buff.
I think Ottawa could be intrigued by Andersson and moving their pick at #7. Wonder what the add looks like.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 12:31 AM   #3042
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis_D View Post
I think there's a world where we can take a punt on Duclair in hopes of him getting Huberdeau going again without us stunting the development of young players and also getting stuck in that 'murky middle'. I think a good starting point would be moving a player like Mangiapane in the offseason.
You can sign Duclair and have Pospisil (most similar to Bennett) centre he and Huberdeau but it still won’t work because Andrew Brunette is not the coach.
Old 05-17-2024, 12:37 AM   #3043
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
I think Ottawa could be intrigued by Andersson and moving their pick at #7. Wonder what the add looks like.
Maybe but I'm not convinced. For a young team that hasn't made playoffs their cupboards are bare.

They've traded alot of recent picks for limited success. They havnt drafted a 1st rounder for the last 2 seasons by trading a 7th oa and 12th oa.

They also have to forfeit a future 1st already over the Dadonov fiasco.

I don't think they'll be trading any high firsts,especially for a 27 year old dman with 2 years left.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 12:38 AM   #3044
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
Maybe but I'm not convinced. For a young team that hasn't made playoffs their cupboards are bare.

They've traded alot of recent picks for limited success. They havnt drafted a 1st rounder for the last 2 seasons by trading a 7th oa and 12th oa.

They also have to forfeit a future 1st already over the Dadonov fiasco.

I don't think they'll be trading any high firsts,especially for a 27 year old dman with 2 years left.
You're probably right but I see them in a similar boat as Buffalo. A lot of young pieces in place and looking to start seeing some immediate success.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 04:21 AM   #3045
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nhl...1735266/?amp=1

Draisaitl rumor to San Jose
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 05:52 AM   #3046
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draisaitl will go to whomever pays him $15 million a season as a UFA
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 06:51 AM   #3047
Dogbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nashville is looking for offense, and Saros is on the block. Maybe there's something to be worked out with Draisaitl and Saros if they would both re-sign, with picks and prospects to make up the difference?

Perhaps Nashville could also take Campbell at 50% retained to back up Askarov - the Preds seem to have that goalie voodoo, and if there's anything to be salvaged with Campbell, they would probably find it.
Dogbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:02 AM   #3048
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Nashville is looking for offense, and Saros is on the block. Maybe there's something to be worked out with Draisaitl and Saros if they would both re-sign, with picks and prospects to make up the difference?

Perhaps Nashville could also take Campbell at 50% retained to back up Askarov - the Preds seem to have that goalie voodoo, and if there's anything to be salvaged with Campbell, they would probably find it.
If Edmonton was smart that would be quite the trade.

Honestly should just try and trade with Chicago. 2nd OA, Moore, and someone else. Chicago could give Draisaitl the bank and Bedard gets a good playmaker to play with him.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:05 AM   #3049
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Draisaitl will go to whomever pays him $15 million a season as a UFA
Yep money will be the main driver here. He's going to be looking to make up for playing through one of the best bargain contracts in the NHL. The German connection is interesting in San Jose so maybe that owner is okay with making him the highest paid player in the league and it certainly looks like they are making room for him given the Hertl trade which nobody saw coming.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:29 AM   #3050
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If he went to San Jose, it would essentially be EDM 2.0
-lots of offensive firepower (Drai, Celebrini, Smith)
-no defencemen
-no goalies
Funkhouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:35 AM   #3051
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
If he went to San Jose, it would essentially be EDM 2.0
-lots of offensive firepower (Drai, Celebrini, Smith)
-no defencemen
-no goalies
Every player says they winning the cup is their main goal but the reality is that it's secondary to money until they get close to mid-30's and have made enough money to chase a cup on short term deals. He will no longer be underpaid and he will be in San Jose (a desirable place to live and play) and not Edmonton. Anytime a player leaves Edmonton regardless of the destination it's akin from going from the outhouse to the penthouse.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 07:46 AM   #3052
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Listening to the 32 Thoughts podcast this morning and they brought up the possibility of Carolina buying out Kotkaniemi. I know this was brought up on this site before, and I think at the time I wasn't a fan of the idea, but does this kid (still only 23) fit the mold of what Conroy is after? I mean, if they're looking to rid themselves of that contract, feels like something could be done here? Makes more sense to try him at C with Huberdeau than it does putting say, Duclair on his wing only to block younger wingers if it doesn't work out. Or even if it does I suppose.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:51 AM   #3053
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Listening to the 32 Thoughts podcast this morning and they brought up the possibility of Carolina buying out Kotkaniemi. I know this was brought up on this site before, and I think at the time I wasn't a fan of the idea, but does this kid (still only 23) fit the mold of what Conroy is after? I mean, if they're looking to rid themselves of that contract, feels like something could be done here? Makes more sense to try him at C with Huberdeau than it does putting say, Duclair on his wing only to block younger wingers if it doesn't work out. Or even if it does I suppose.
I’d take his current contract on as a gamble/dump for them. 23 yr old centre with 5 years at $4.8….. they’d obviously have to pay for us to take us, but I’d love to be on the receiving end of that deal.

Edit: my thought process here is the cap would be more palatable to buy him out in 2-3 years if needed. But he must qualify for this 1/3rd thing, because the buyout calc shows a cap hit of ~$800,000 (and a few for half that) for 11 years…. So it doesn’t even make sense for Carolina to pay to dump him

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 05-17-2024 at 08:09 AM.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:59 AM   #3054
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I don't understand why anyone would seek out this player. Have you seen him play?? He is invisible and isn't getting better.

Yes he is young, but I think he is what he is. An average 3rd liner, or an elite 4th liner.
Funkhouser is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 08:02 AM   #3055
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I've seen him play, which is why I initially bristled at the idea of getting him several months back. And there would be no guarantee he'd work out here like Sharangovich has. But he fits what Conroy is looking for. Like a glove when you think about it.

Young? Underperforming? Not getting a shot or finding his way with current team? And a C?

And the Flames have plenty of cap space. They could even move a player to Carolina if theres a bigger deal to be had.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 08:02 AM   #3056
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That's now 2 franchises that are seemingly willing to cut ties with Kotkaniemi, its not a good look honestly. Yes he's young, but much like Dubois he seems to lack a true desire to be an impact/every day NHL pro.

I can't speak to his locker room prowess if you will, but its been talked about a few times as something that hasn't had a good impact.

When I watch him play I don't see anything there to make me want to give him a spot over our younger guys honestly. He's a guy who needs to play in the top 6 to be effective because he's not physical or hard on pucks, so where would he fit here?

That combined with the black cloud over his head since the day he was drafted by MTL has me not wanting to waste the money or contract on a guy who seemingly is invisible more times than not during a season.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 08:05 AM   #3057
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Canes would pay a decent price to dump him then the Flames should do it and trade Backlund if he wants to go to a contender or trade Mangiapane.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 08:21 AM   #3058
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kotkaniemi still has upside. Definitely worth a try here, though perhaps on the wing?

Related, but I'm kind of hoping we try pospisil out at centre to start next season
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 08:23 AM   #3059
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
That's now 2 franchises that are seemingly willing to cut ties with Kotkaniemi, its not a good look honestly. Yes he's young, but much like Dubois he seems to lack a true desire to be an impact/every day NHL pro.

I can't speak to his locker room prowess if you will, but its been talked about a few times as something that hasn't had a good impact.

When I watch him play I don't see anything there to make me want to give him a spot over our younger guys honestly. He's a guy who needs to play in the top 6 to be effective because he's not physical or hard on pucks, so where would he fit here?

That combined with the black cloud over his head since the day he was drafted by MTL has me not wanting to waste the money or contract on a guy who seemingly is invisible more times than not during a season.
I wouldn’t put KK and Dubois in the same sentence. KK is just not a top 6 center and the Canes just wanted to “up” the Habs by offersheeting for him when they did the same for Aho. Two different tier players though. I think they signed KK to a low $, high term deal to a) save face from the OS and 2) KK was and is still relatively young. As a contending team though the Canes could do better with their cap. I doubt they have to buy him out, but they for sure won’t get anything in addition to cap space alleviation in a KK deal.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 08:26 AM   #3060
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
I can see SJ thinking that landing Macklin + signing Leon could allow them to accelerate their re-build.
And I think Leon will want to go somewhere where he is "the guy" instead of the #2.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good