Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2024, 03:16 PM   #3001
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Conroy literally said he's going to go out and get some guys to help Huberdeau. Don't think he meant from the refuse bin. I don't think he's gonna go UFA but he is going to make some trades.
Every one knows deep down it's going to be Duclair.

He's available, no one else has the same motivation/reasons to get him, and it would only take a slight overpay (or even market value if demand is low) and the Flames have cap flexibility to do it.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 03:21 PM   #3002
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
You never know

After starting his decline in SJ, ~34 ish year old Joe Pavelski had 31 points in 67 games for Dallas in 2019-20

Jeff Skinner also had back-to-back 30-goal seasons at age 30/31 after everyone thought he was cooked.

Huberdeau is still talented and we see flashes of it. If the Flames start utilizing him better, he can still bounce back.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 03:23 PM   #3003
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
When did he say this? Might Kuzmenko have chemistry with him?
Pretty sure his comments were before the trades and Kuzmenko did seem to have some chemistry with Huberdeau.

Get good players to play with Huberdeau because we are stuck with Huberdeau. Not sure if this means his plan is to build around Huberdeau and all rebuilding teams need top line talent. He never said he was going to sign more Huberdeau's. How he adds, I guess we will see this summer.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 03:23 PM   #3004
Lewis_D
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think there's a world where we can take a punt on Duclair in hopes of him getting Huberdeau going again without us stunting the development of young players and also getting stuck in that 'murky middle'. I think a good starting point would be moving a player like Mangiapane in the offseason.
Lewis_D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lewis_D For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 03:28 PM   #3005
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Conroy literally said he's going to go out and get some guys to help Huberdeau. Don't think he meant from the refuse bin. I don't think he's gonna go UFA but he is going to make some trades.
We will see. I don't think he makes a big splash to get Huberdeau going. He has said he will stick to UFAs on shorter contracts and is targeting young players with upside in trades. I am not holding my breathe on either materializing to make a big impact. If Conroy trades Markstrom then I really don't see him adding anything major for Huberdeau.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 03:32 PM   #3006
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis_D View Post
I think there's a world where we can take a punt on Duclair in hopes of him getting Huberdeau going again without us stunting the development of young players and also getting stuck in that 'murky middle'. I think a good starting point would be moving a player like Mangiapane in the offseason.
It's an experiment worth trying on a short term deal that doesn't interfere with the future. What do they have to lose? It's also a predictable Flames move in so many ways to get a vet that otherwise would have no appeal solely to try to get their investment going.

Given the drop off of both players, I didn't mind the suggestion of shipping out Mangiapane and bringing in Ehlers. Both can shoot and had high scoring seasons but lost their way.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 03:43 PM   #3007
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I'm Duclair, I'm looking for some long-term security. I don't think he is a short-term option and IMO Conroy has shown he can buy low on players and is more creative than making that move that is obvious to everyone.

I don't think we should be going with Duclair in our top 6 for years, he likely is not signing 1 or 2 years for cheap either.

I agree with moving Mangiapane to create room, he excels in a role that other young guys would also excel and develop in. Picking up Duclair to play with Huberdeau has him in a spot where he would be playing top line top PP to play with Huberdeau. That is spot at some point would block a young player. Kuzmenko is a better option IMO than Duclair to play that role and you have a year to deiced if he is a keeper.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:44 PM   #3008
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Two trade up scenarios for the Calgary Flames at the 2024 NHL Draft from Flames Nation

https://flamesnation.ca/news/two-tra...2024-nhl-draft

Quote:
Trade Proposal

To Calgary: 2024 first-round pick (6th overall) & 2024 second-round pick (38th overall)

To Utah: Rasmus Andersson & Vancouver’s 2024 first-round pick
Quote:
Trade Proposal

To Calgary: 2024 first-round pick (7th overall) & Joonas Korpisalo

To Ottawa: Jacob Markstrom, 2024 fourth-round pick
Old 05-16-2024, 03:47 PM   #3009
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
Two trade up scenarios for the Calgary Flames at the 2024 NHL Draft from Flames Nation

I'd do both but the Utah trade seems like a rebuild trade. I'd do it, but doubt the Flames would.

100% do the Ottawa deal too. 7 and 9 would be a great start to a retool or a rebuild. Korpisalo could bounce back and split with Wolf
The Following User Says Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 03:51 PM   #3010
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Msrkstrom is one is an easy yes and highly doubt the Senators would entertain it. The Andersson one is pretty even to maybe a little tilted towards Utah, I think Andersson is worth a top 15 pick though. I'd probably do both
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 03:52 PM   #3011
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I think that utah trade is terrible. If we need to add a first thats idiocy.

I cant believe no one would give a comparable without losing the Vancouver pick.

Six is great all for it but this isn’t a generational draft and what exactly do people think a top pair defence with a great contract would cost? Low first and a third??

That deal should he done without the van pick.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 04:00 PM   #3012
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post

I cant believe no one would give a comparable without losing the Vancouver pick.

Six is great all for it but this isn’t a generational draft and what exactly do people think a top pair defence with a great contract would cost? Low first and a third??

Andersson isn’t worth the 6th overall. Hronek and Chychrun trades are pretty good comparables and the difference between the van 1st and the 38th overall won’t be that much.
Old 05-16-2024, 04:03 PM   #3013
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would do both. I would be surprised if Ottawa wanted to do it, and I would be just as surprised if Markstrom waived to go there.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 04:03 PM   #3014
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Msrkstrom is one is an easy yes and highly doubt the Senators would entertain it. The Andersson one is pretty even to maybe a little tilted towards Utah, I think Andersson is worth a top 15 pick though. I'd probably do both
Ottawa is more likely to do a trade where they trade a top 10 protected 1st in next year's draft than 7th pick. Korpisalo does have 5 years left on his deal. If they want out of that contract and add Markstrom they will have to pay. But I could see them being patient with Korpisalo as he likely bounces back.

Teams that pick in the top 10 this year that could be ready to pop all likely trade 1sts next year that are top 10 protected than trade a pick already in the top 10 this year.

Utah has millions in cap space and assets to add a guy like Rasmus without trading the 6th pick. They could draft a young potential star dman with 6, trade. Sign or trade for a top 4 dman with either a top 10 protected 1st next year, a few 2nds and a prospect forward or just go after a UFA and keep 6th OV.

Ottawa probably would consider a similar trade with a protected pick in 25 as well.

I could see the Devils, Sabres or Red Wings moving their 1st this year.
Old 05-16-2024, 04:06 PM   #3015
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post

You could draft a dman that has potential to be better than Rasmus and is under control for 7 years rather than 2. You likely save huge cap, get a high-end prospect and if you draft well, speed up the rebuild process by a few years. We are dreaming if we think we are adding a top 10 pick and keeping 9 without giving up someone very good
Old 05-16-2024, 04:09 PM   #3016
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
You could draft a dman that has potential to be better than Rasmus and is under control for 7 years rather than 2. You likely save huge cap, get a high-end prospect and if you draft well, speed up the rebuild process by a few years. We are dreaming if we think we are adding a top 10 pick and keeping 9 without giving up someone very good
Anyone you pick at six probably isnt a significant contributor for 2 to 4 years. Time frames matter and any if the top picks has a looong way to go to do what anderson does every night now.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 04:11 PM   #3017
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Andersson isn’t worth the 6th overall. Hronek and Chychrun trades are pretty good comparables and the difference between the van 1st and the 38th overall won’t be that much.
Chychrun was traded for a 1st and two seconds.

Hronek was traded for a 1st and a 2nd.

Trading Anderson and a 1st for a 1st and a 2nd seems like a significant downgrade in the return.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 04:11 PM   #3018
Ba'alzamon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Ottawa is more likely to do a trade where they trade a top 10 protected 1st in next year's draft than 7th pick. Korpisalo does have 5 years left on his deal. If they want out of that contract and add Markstrom they will have to pay. But I could see them being patient with Korpisalo as he likely bounces back.

Teams that pick in the top 10 this year that could be ready to pop all likely trade 1sts next year that are top 10 protected than trade a pick already in the top 10 this year.

Utah has millions in cap space and assets to add a guy like Rasmus without trading the 6th pick. They could draft a young potential star dman with 6, trade. Sign or trade for a top 4 dman with either a top 10 protected 1st next year, a few 2nds and a prospect forward or just go after a UFA and keep 6th OV.

Ottawa probably would consider a similar trade with a protected pick in 25 as well.

Doesn't Ottawa lose next year's pick because of the whole Dadonov thing?
Ba'alzamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 04:12 PM   #3019
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Agreed on Markstrom, no way that happens and his value is liekly a protected 25 1st.

I don't think Utah can get a dman like Andersson for a top ten protected pick though. Comparables wise Andersson should be the same as Hronek and Chychrun. Top 15 pick and late 1st/2nd swap isn't crazy if the marching orders are to make playoffs ASAP
Old 05-16-2024, 04:12 PM   #3020
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba'alzamon View Post
Doesn't Ottawa lose next year's pick because of the whole Dadonov thing?
2024, 2025 or 2026. IIRC. Think they had the choice of three years

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good