Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2024, 12:54 PM   #2961
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I didn't name names, I am just saying I have seen posters say this fanbase would support a tear it down rebuild and then say they are not renewing because they are not happy with the losses.
I completely fit your characterization and I'm guilt free about it tbh

Team is bad now. There are no franchise players. every key player who hits UFA demands a trade or pouts until they get traded. of course they should rebuild and they've started. that doesn't mean by wanting that i have some obligation to contribute financially. the entertainment value still isn't there, there's zero stars on this team and none in the prospect pool barring a surprise.

I bought a Gaudreau Jersey 2014 and an Iginla jersey 2001ish. I'm not THAT hard to please. but right now there's really nothing.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 02:12 PM   #2962
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post

Team is bad now. There are no franchise players. every key player who hits UFA demands a trade or pouts until they get traded. of course they should rebuild and they've started. that doesn't mean by wanting that i have some obligation to contribute financially. the entertainment value still isn't there, there's zero stars on this team and none in the prospect pool barring a surprise.

I bought a Gaudreau Jersey 2014 and an Iginla jersey 2001ish. I'm not THAT hard to please. but right now there's really nothing.
I think the premise was that many posters say they will support a rebuild, but know indicate they won't support it financially..

You're indicating that you want a rebuild, but aren't prepared to support it financially.

The owners are concerned that fans will not support a rebuild financially.

So, unless you indicated you would support a rebuild, and are now reneging on that, you do not fit the narrative.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 02:35 PM   #2963
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post

How can anyone get on you about this? The real reason you likely feel this way is the organization has failed to communicate a direction. As a fanbase we're left listing in speculation on what they're doing.

As a counterpoint to supporting a rebuild, I fully expect this club to continue with the "make the playoffs" phrasing this season, and highlight that we had a TOP AHL club feeding players in. We're reloading!

The only thing that has given me hope of a new direction with proper communication is the hiring of a new president and operations chief, with the operations guy actually having a bit of a background in entertainment.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 08:01 AM   #2964
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Current roster players most likely to return good draft capital are:

Markstrom
Andersson

Everyone else that doesn't fit into the long term plan probably get moved near the deadline eh?
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:07 AM   #2965
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suppose it comes down to what you consider 'supporting' a rebuild is.
Because yeah, I think CSEC has always wanted to avoid it because the 90s scared them off doing it, the Library years etc.

And honestly, I think with Calgary as a hockey market their concerns are valid. Folks on this message board are not the norm.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 12:29 PM   #2966
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you look at average attendance figures for the last Flames 'rebuild', the drop-off was not all that significant.

I think the concerns about the 'Library' and 90's-like years are grossly overstated. Dating back to last off-season, there have been numerous polls showing the fanbase supports a rebuild.

Youthful enthusiasm and a vision they can sell will go a long way. Like other Canadian markets, Calgary can do it too. There is enough corporate support and steady ownership to see through a couple of lean seasons. Hell, even if they lose money for a couple of seasons, the growth in relative value of any sports franchise has to far exceed that.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 12:34 PM   #2967
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
If you look at average attendance figures for the last Flames 'rebuild', the drop-off was not all that significant.

I think the concerns about the 'Library' and 90's-like years are grossly overstated. Dating back to last off-season, there have been numerous polls showing the fanbase supports a rebuild.

Youthful enthusiasm and a vision they can sell will go a long way. Like other Canadian markets, Calgary can do it too. There is enough corporate support and steady ownership to see through a couple of lean seasons. Hell, even if they lose money for a couple of seasons, the growth in relative value of any sports franchise has to far exceed that.
The biggest thing is that the economics are totally different as well. There was a legitimate chance Calgary could have relocated in the 90s. Zero chance now.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 12:49 PM   #2968
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
The biggest thing is that the economics are totally different as well. There was a legitimate chance Calgary could have relocated in the 90s. Zero chance now.

It was extremely close. "Save the Flames" wasn't much of a stretch.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 12:55 PM   #2969
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post

This.
The asset has tripled in value over the past 10 years, while receiving hundreds of $millions in public subsidies for a new rink.

If they choose to remain in mediocracy in order to avoid the risk of low attendance for 3 years, then we need new ownership who can see beyond the timeframe of 12 months (although, given the age of our owners, every month matters!).
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 01:17 AM   #2970
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Francis
I think that Anthony Duclair will be a Flame at some point in this offseason, and will be brought in just to expressly try and resurrect Johnathan Huberdeau's game
I think Francis is just guessing, but Duclair has been the obvious target ever since Conroy said we will be looking for players that had chemistry with Huberdeau.

Francis also thinks it's throwing good money after bad, and would be a mistake.

gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 06:31 AM   #2971
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a fan of signing Duclair. I was before, but I don’t want any of our young guys losing valuable ice time. Pospisil, Pelletier, Zary, possibly Coronato. We’re cluttered at wing.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 07:36 AM   #2972
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Not a fan of signing Duclair. I was before, but I don’t want any of our young guys losing valuable ice time. Pospisil, Pelletier, Zary, possibly Coronato. We’re cluttered at wing.
They need to try some of those guys at C, which all have played.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 07:55 AM   #2973
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duclair works if plan is to lose 7-5 every night.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 08:00 AM   #2974
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
They need to try some of those guys at C, which all have played.
Frankly, we are cluttered at forward (weird to say for a bottom feeder...)

Huberdeau - Zary - Sharongovich
Kuzmenko - Kadri - Posipisil
Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman
Pelletier - Rooney - Hunt
Klapka - Duehr - Coronado

There presently isn't space for Pelletier or Coronado in the top 9, which there needs to be if we want them to develop. Adding Duclair to the mix seems unnecessary and complicated unless we dump a few other forwards during the off season.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 08:11 AM   #2975
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Duclair works if plan is to lose 7-5 every night.
Well, if the Flames are going to lose, that's a more entertaining way to do it.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 08:17 AM   #2976
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post

There presently isn't space for Pelletier or Coronado in the top 9, which there needs to be if we want them to develop. Adding Duclair to the mix seems unnecessary and complicated unless we dump a few other forwards during the off season.
I think that's the plan. Likely Mangiapane and one of Kuzmenko, and Sharangovich will be gone.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 08:33 AM   #2977
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think Pelletier’s skill sets is third line checker who has a little pop offensively from time to time and who can move up if you need him to. But having a lot of prospects who can play isn’t bad. Not all of them will be here in 5 years.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 10:40 AM   #2978
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That is a decent forward group for a non-playoff team, but the weakness there is in the top end talent, especially young talent on their first contract.

What will ultimately decide if Calgary is indeed a bottom feeder or not is whether Marky stays or goes and whether the defence can be rebuilt into a reasonable group.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 10:54 AM   #2979
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I'd do a 1 year with the intention of moving him at the deadline for a pick. One thing is that Duclair is a finisher, so could help the young guys numbers by finishing their passes
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 11:17 AM   #2980
konradical
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I think you can sign Duclair, but then you need Mang to leave to make room
konradical is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good