Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2024, 08:52 AM   #3041
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
You mean the team who set the record for lowest shots on goal to start the playoffs. Lol
I think the message is going to get through to both the coach and his players. He's already calling out his team and I suspect its not for them to be more passive.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 08:57 AM   #3042
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I don't think that there is a way that he isn't injured right now. This has been something since the regular season. He looks slow and can't take a shot, even with time. When he is healthy he is a dynamic player but right now he looks slow and timid.

A very different player than who we saw in the bubble playoffs so I don't know if it is just a story of someone who can't play at a high level, even if those playoffs were really weird.
As a Canucks fan are you really surprised? He had like a year stretch where he played bad before he figured it out again. He's been very inconsistent in his career.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 08:58 AM   #3043
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I don't think that there is a way that he isn't injured right now. This has been something since the regular season. He looks slow and can't take a shot, even with time. When he is healthy he is a dynamic player but right now he looks slow and timid.

A very different player than who we saw in the bubble playoffs so I don't know if it is just a story of someone who can't play at a high level, even if those playoffs were really weird.
The bubble, even though it was playoffs, wasn't anything like real playoff hockey with the crowds and the spotlight. These things amp teams up 10x and that kind of play seems to not be what Pettersson wants anything to do with.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:00 AM   #3044
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Any chance Kane gets a game for the crosscheck to the face? Combined with the slew-foot they have to take a look.
Ok, but seriously, the DOPS has to at least make a statement, right?

There have been 3 cross checks to the face this series. Which is about 3 more than you'd normally see in a series. Two have drawn blood. The other one led to a suspension. Perry even tried to punk Boeser about it. The NHL has completely mishandled this IMO.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:26 AM   #3045
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
The bubble, even though it was playoffs, wasn't anything like real playoff hockey with the crowds and the spotlight. These things amp teams up 10x and that kind of play seems to not be what Pettersson wants anything to do with.
Yeah the bubble was an aberration as guys like Nurse, Chychrun, etc with career seasons soon went back to normal in a regular season.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:35 AM   #3046
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For all the praise he is getting recently - you seriously do have to question why Rick Tocchet is stapling a player in Mikheyev who has just one goal and 15 points in his last 60 games alongside their most purely talented and creative forward. They ran the wrong guy (Kuzmenko) out of town who had a proven and productive track record next to Pettersson and it may end up being what costs them. I don't want to make excuses for Elias Pettersson but linemates and chemistry are immensely important, and it's something I continually point to with Huberdeau. He is playing with an absolute dearth of talent, and it has effected his confidence in a massive way.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:35 AM   #3047
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've watching bits and pieces of 3 of the 4 games and every time I tune in the Canucks are on their heels absorbing pressure getting outshot badly with the occasional counter attack. Wonder if it's a gameplan/fear of being hit on the counter by McDavid's speed to play very conservatively or they are just being outclassed, really been hoping to see them tilt the ice and step up at some point.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:37 AM   #3048
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
For all the praise he is getting recently - you seriously do have to question why Rick Tocchet is stapling a player in Mikheyev who has just one goal and 15 points in his last 60 games alongside their most purely talented and creative forward. They ran the wrong guy (Kuzmenko) out of town who had a proven and productive track record next to Pettersson and it may end up being what costs them. I don't want to make excuses for Elias Pettersson but linemates and chemistry are immensely important, and it's something I continually point to with Huberdeau. He is playing with an absolute dearth of talent, and it has effected his confidence in a massive way.
Supporting cast aside, he looks afraid to me, maybe protecting an injury as has been said, but he reminds me of Johnny in the playoffs, just terrified of going to the tough areas and getting hit
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:44 AM   #3049
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I've watching bits and pieces of 3 of the 4 games and every time I tune in the Canucks are on their heels absorbing pressure getting outshot badly with the occasional counter attack. Wonder if it's a gameplan/fear of being hit on the counter by McDavid's speed to play very conservatively or they are just being outclassed, really been hoping to see them tilt the ice and step up at some point.
They don't trust their goaltender.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:49 AM   #3050
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Could be deliberate. They are actually doing a decent job keeping the Oilers to the perimeter during a lot of that pressure. Other than odd occasions (which they've been punished for), they aren't giving up a ton of chances on the rush. The trade off is, they are in their own zone way too much.

Honestly, it reminds me a little of the Flames series against the Oilers a couple years ago. They became so scared of getting burned that they forgot to press forward and create an attack of their own.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:51 AM   #3051
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Supporting cast aside, he looks afraid to me, maybe protecting an injury as has been said, but he reminds me of Johnny in the playoffs, just terrified of going to the tough areas and getting hit
I certainly don't disagree that he's playing incredibly timid/soft, but I do think a lack of confidence bleeds into every aspect of a players game. He could very well be injured, but this has been an issue dating back to February.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:53 AM   #3052
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

saw a tweet saying that there’s a good chance Lekkerimaki is in the lineup Thursday. Not sure how credible but that would be awesome
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:56 AM   #3053
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Canucks completely changed the way they play after Demko went down. Collapse, collapse, collapse and limit what you do so you don't make any mistakes. Great and all but extremely tough to break out of that when you need offense. They are now a defensive, opportunistic team.

They have talent and are fairly deep but Tocchet has them playing scared. Petterssen being next to useless isn't helping with the offensive matters.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:59 AM   #3054
EDMONTONisNG
Backup Goalie

Exp:

lots of hate for petterson which is warranted but hronek has looked bad too.

Glad Hronek is sucking though tbh. He chirped the flames "you guys are going on vacation in 2 days" in the last game vs. the flames. Big talk coming from a scrub. No value added to the 1st pairing and its 100% hughes. Karma's a b#### Hronek, and good job for rejecting that 52M offer because you aren't getting that now.

Last edited by EDMONTONisNG; 05-15-2024 at 11:02 AM.
EDMONTONisNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:05 AM   #3055
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pettersson before and after the signing:

Before..: 62 games, 29G, 46A, 75P, 1.20 PPG
After.....: 20 games, 4G, 10A, 14P, 0.70 PPG
Playoffs: 10 games, 1G, 3A, 4P, 0.40 PPG

Didn't like the contract at $11.6M then, still don't like it now
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 11:42 AM   #3056
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
Imagine that when your team requires some toughness, to make a statement, that you'd call on a guy nicknamed The Tenderness to take care of things.

That sounds like a team of kittens from the toilet paper commercial.
Should McTavish be talking about running over people?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 11:52 AM   #3057
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Pettersson before and after the signing:

Before..: 62 games, 29G, 46A, 75P, 1.20 PPG
After.....: 20 games, 4G, 10A, 14P, 0.70 PPG
Playoffs: 10 games, 1G, 3A, 4P, 0.40 PPG

Didn't like the contract at $11.6M then, still don't like it now
Although it's a very small sample size, he's become a more expensive Huberdeau.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Still plenty of time to right the ship, but the next couple of games vs. the Oilers would be a good place to start.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 12:34 PM   #3058
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Evander Kane openly and intentionally cross-checks a guy in the face right in the middle of the play, in front of the net for everyone to see... hard enough to draw blood... yet somehow gets a double minor instead of a major, major and a game or major and a match (these are the only possible options, according to the rulebook).

These are the only possible infractions that can be assessed a double minor:

This is the official entry in the NHL rulebook for cross-checking (Rule 59):

There is literally no such thing as a "double minor for cross-checking." Meaning, the ref didn't want to kick Kane out of the game (59.5 states that any major for cross-checking automatically includes a game misconduct), so he made up a "double minor for cross-checking" instead.

Also, what a surprise that there was no media outcry... no social media clip going viral... and therefore, also not a single word from the league about any ensuing discipline.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 12:39 PM   #3059
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah I can't believe Kane faces nothing for that cross check to the face, that drew blood, literally 1 game after the same thing happened and the Canuck was suspended.

The NHL is getting harder to watch with this crazy inconsistent nonsense. Its so bush league. Really need to sort that out before it becomes a real joke.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 12:46 PM   #3060
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
The NHL is getting harder to watch with this crazy inconsistent nonsense. It’s so bush league. Really need to sort that out before it becomes a real joke.
Too late. It’s been a joke for a while now.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote