Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2024, 08:03 PM   #961
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Shameless attempt at a bump because... whisky.

I thought I'd roll the dice a few weeks ago and got a Costco Islay. Officially "Kirkland Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky". I thought it was about $70 so I checked my transactions, and I think I paid a total of $63 - even better!

I was pleasantly surprised. It is definitely on the young side, but pretty smooth and tasty for its presumed young age. Quite peaty.

It is from an independent bottler, obviously, but speculation online is that it could be Caol Ila, and some estimate the age to be 6-8 years. It is reminiscent of Port Askaig 8 which I also found to be quite nice for its price and age, which some also suspect to be from Caol Ila.

Has anyone tried the Kirkland Highland one?

I was at a Robbie Burns dinner and the host let us blind taste what ended up being the Kirkland Speyside Sherry Cask 18 and it was VERY good. But I haven't been able to locate it - I tried a couple of locations in-person and called a couple more. It reminded me of Aberlour 16 a little bit, being a similar age and also a Speyside.

Anyone have any other pleasant surprises, Kirkland or otherwise?
Do you know how recently that Kirkland Speyside was purchased? I had a bottle of what might be the same stuff and it was delicious but it was from about three or four years ago. I was slowly sharing the bottle with friends and finally finished it last summer.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote