Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2024, 08:14 PM   #3101
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Yeah that's been brought up but I'm not so sure Helenius will ever be the skater that Aho is though.

For comparison I'll pick another Fin in Mikael Granlund, if you want another Aho I think Berkly Catton has a better chance of that.

One of Helenius' strength is skating, which has never been a strength of Granlund. But otherwise it's a solid comparison.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 08:22 PM   #3102
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
One of Helenius' strength is skating, which has never been a strength of Granlund. But otherwise it's a solid comparison.
So far he lacks explosiveness, he has decent speed and edges but Aho is 2 strides and gone.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 09:47 PM   #3103
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that's been brought up but I'm not so sure Helenius will ever be the skater that Aho is though.

For comparison I'll pick another Fin in Mikael Granlund, if you want another Aho I think Berkly Catton has a better chance of that.
Great comparison. The size, the solid two-way play, the occasional offensive flair. Mikael Granlund 2.0
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 10:13 PM   #3104
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Granlunds closer in style but I think Helenius tracks higher than that still.

I like Catton too, he's a very different player though.

I like em all. I a couple of them more than the others but I'm not gonna cry about any of em really. It's going to be a happy draft day.
Old 05-13-2024, 12:15 AM   #3105
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (U-18 Edition, Vol.13):

Team Slovakia came to play this year at the U-18 tournament, finishing in 4th and making their presence felt in every game. It was no different for Slovak LD Samuel Kupec, who was a defensive presence every time he stepped on the ice, as well as a physical one. Kupec is already built like a man, at 6'3",209lbs, and spent most of his time this season playing in men's leagues, with 26 games in the Slovenska hokejova liga (Slovakia's second-tier men's league) picking up 2 assists and 18 penalty minutes, and 32 games in the Extraliga (Slovakia's top men's league) for HK Dukla Trencin, putting up 1 assist. On Dukla Trencin's U20 squad, he posted 3 points in 8 games to go with 12 PIM, and contributed 4 points in 9 playoff games. In the U-18's, he formed a formidable shut-down duo with Fabian Licko, and both managed to tie for second-place on the team in D scoring, with 2 points apiece, although these points came in the contest against Norway, who aren't exactly a powerhouse opponent.

Kupec is a stay-at-home, shutdown defenseman who can ride shotgun with the more offensively-inclined rearguards on his team and compliment them. He plays a very simple, risk-free game with the puck, and employs a meat-and-potatoes style to avoid turnovers. He is hard to play against, first- because of his intimidating physical game, and second- because he skates very well. He's very difficult to outrun, both in open ice and in small-areas, as he owns a quick first-step and has a peppy short-burst. He's agile as well, with the ability to turn quickly, and transitions fairly seamlessly. Kupec plays a physical game, and likes to deliver big hits and play the body, but he also won't hesitate to lay some lumber in the form of slashes to the stick, and crosschecks. Though he lacks offense and creativity, he handles and protects the puck well, and can make a good first-pass when he has reasonable time and space to do so. His numbers in junior are respectable at first glance, but the Slovakian U20 league is rather inferior when it comes to quality of competition.

Kupec can cover a huge patch of ice defensively with his reach and his disruptive stick, especially when combined with his mobility and awareness- he is able to intercept passes, and cut off lanes expertly. He boxes opponents out from the net quite well, showing strength when pushing attackers out of the crease, and when he pins them to the boards to smother them. Kupec competes hard, and has a solid work-ethic. In retrievals, he scans over both shoulders to survey his options and wins the puck quickly, but the main knock on him is that he can be pressured into making mistakes on his breakouts. I didn't see any turnovers in this situation, as it seemed like he would use the boards and glass to clear the puck if he got into trouble. His decision-making has been called into question at times, but it's his rush-defense that's most concerning- he was burned a few times, most notably by James Hagens, although Hagens burned just about everybody in this tournament. I think that the problem may lie with his gap-control, and his anticipation in these situations- sometimes he gives his opponents too much room to move, and too much time to think. Based on what I saw at this tournament, Kupec may be in tough to get drafted, but if he is chosen, he'll wait until the later rounds.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 07:31 AM   #3106
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
So far he lacks explosiveness, he has decent speed and edges but Aho is 2 strides and gone.
The kid just turned 18, of course he is not what Aho is right now. But every scouting report I've seen says skating is one of his strengths.

This video has a pretty good summary, skating part starting from 1:27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u_m...l=NHLDraftPros
Old 05-13-2024, 07:37 AM   #3107
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also if people want to compare Helenius to Granlund, good opportunity in about two hours when Finland plays against Norway. He'll be centering a line with Granlund and Puustinen (Pittsburgh) on his wings.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:13 AM   #3108
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Updated with another ranking ...

Up to 19 rankings with 6 to make the average.

Top 15

Code:
1	M Celebrini	C	1.00
2	Ivan Demidov	RW	2.79
3	A Levshunov	D	4.42
4	Sam Dickinson	D	6.21
5	C Lindstrom	C	7.11
6	Berkly Catton	C	7.11
7	Zeev Buium	D	7.68
8	Anton Silayev	D	8.11
9	Zayne Parekh	D	9.32
10	Cole Eiserman	LW	10.05
11	Konsta Helenius	C	10.32
12	Tij Iginla	C	12.37
13	C Yakemchuk	D	12.58
14	Liam Greentree	RW	13.78

Flames Pick

Code:
7	Zeev Buium	D	7.68
8	Anton Silayev	D	8.11
9	Zayne Parekh	D	9.32
10	Cole Eiserman	LW	10.05
11	Konsta Helenius	C	10.32
Vancouver Pick

Code:
25	N Artamonov	LW	29.71
26	Terik Parascak	RW	30.69
27	Aron Kiviharju	D	31.06
28	Henry Mews	D	31.38
29	Maxim Masse	F	32.33
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 10:25 AM   #3109
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Silayev getting more interesting every time i see something about him. Especially when Larionov (his coach) has something to say:

Quote:
“He is a better skater than Victor Hedman,” said Torpedo’s head coach, Hockey Hall of Famer Igor Larionov.
Quote:
“He kept earning ice time because of how well he skates, hits and passes,” said Larionov. “He was our best defenseman in the KHL playoffs.”

https://theathletic.com/5480091/2024...hl-draft-2024/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 10:28 AM   #3110
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like the group around that vancouver pick. So many options available late round that could turn to gold. Parascak and Mews are both excellent options. Kiviharju and Artamonov seem really great as well. I was interested in Howe for a good part of the year but he seems to have dropped a bit, might be available early 2nd still.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 10:33 AM   #3111
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Silayev getting more interesting every time i see something about him. Especially when Larionov (his coach) has something to say:

https://theathletic.com/5480091/2024...hl-draft-2024/
I think someone will eat him up before we get to him. I like the simashev comparison. He wasn't as high on the general radar but still got picked top 10 because he's 6'5 and skates like the wind.

It can be argued that Silayev, one year younger, outplayed him in the KHL this season. Someone is going to take him top 5 I think.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 10:47 AM   #3112
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am also thinking Silayev might go higher than we initially thought. Especially with what we’ve been seeing in the playoffs from Zadorov. By most reports, Silayev is an even better skater than Zadorov.
stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 11:34 AM   #3113
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
I am also thinking Silayev might go higher than we initially thought. Especially with what we’ve been seeing in the playoffs from Zadorov. By most reports, Silayev is an even better skater than Zadorov.
Yeah, I think he goes top 5 and am okay with it lol
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 11:34 AM   #3114
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (U-18 Edition, Vol.14):

With how often he activates into the play, it's a shock that LD Adam Belusko didn't get more than his 1 point in 7 games at the U-18 Tournament, where he wore an "A" for Slovakia. Belusko put up some gaudy numbers in league play back home in Slovakia, finishing 21st overall in scoring (and 3rd in ppg for defensemen) in the U20 league with 19 points in 17 games split between HC Kosice (6 assists in 6 games), and Team Slovakia's U18 team (13 assists in 11 games). In Slovakia, the U18 team plays games against opponents in the U20, and opponents in the second-tier men's league to get prepared for international tournaments like the U-18's. Against men in the second-tier, the 5'11",187lb blueliner put up 11 points in 24 games (8th-overall for U-18 players), to go with 20 PIM. He wore the "A" in last summer's Hlinka as well, but only managed 1 goal in 4 games, and had the opportunity to play a game in the Extraliga for HC Kosice, where he scored a goal.

Belusko is a solid two-way player who does a little of everything, and can play in all situations, including both special teams. At times, Belusko seems to be everywhere all at once in the offensive zone, touching every inch of ice in one shift. At the U-18's, in the first period against Team USA, Belusko seemed to be rarely at his post, abandoning the point to activate deep into the zone for long periods, letting his forwards fill in for him. He was so rarely at the blueline that he seemed like he was playing pond hockey, which showed a bit of immaturity to me. The period ended with Team USA up 2-1 on the Slovaks, and Belusko came out in the 2nd playing a much more responsible game. Belusko will join the rush to support the attack, and will pinch in to keep plays alive or to kill the rush coming back in it's early stages. He can fly at top speed, but his acceleration and first-step need refinement- he can be beaten to pucks in small-areas. In certain situations, such as walking the line to open space to distribute in the offensive zone, he displays solid edges and footwork. In the contests I watched, he had difficulty in getting his point shot through to the net, but he's not really a big goal-scoring threat right now anyway, and not much of a puck-rusher, either. Despite his small stature, he is punishing along the boards and physical in front of the net, with no fear of competing for pucks in hard areas.

With his style of play, it would seem like Belusko is a big, mobile shutdown defender trapped in the body of a small, high-octane offensive blueliner- his best contribution to his team is his defensive play, as his offense is a question mark going forward. He is very preoccupied in playing defense in all 3 zones, stopping plays as early as possible and playing a disruptive game. Against the rush, Belusko is indispensable, killing entries with his footwork, positioning, and physicality- he also uses a well-timed, active stick to cause turnovers, and pick pockets. He is tenacious in puck battles, difficult to play against, and positions himself well off-puck to support his partner with his stick on the ice to be ready for passes, and be proactively positioned defensively. He covers his net well, and manages to box opponents out from the crease, taking their sticks with lifts and slashes, and blocking shots. In every corner the ice, Belusko hounds puck-carriers and cuts off lanes, while angling attackers away from the middle. On retrievals, he needs to scan better as he can make mistakes under pressure, and his breakout passes can be inconsistent. He can pinch at innopportune times as well, leaving his team short-handed. Belusko is an excellent junior player back home in Slovakia, but it remains to be seen how his offense will translate to North American hockey, and his size isn't ideal to play a shutdown game at the next level- he may not have enough to hear his name called at the draft, but if he does, it will be in the later rounds.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 11:45 AM   #3115
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Updated with another ranking ...
Where's Hutson now on the latest list? Rooting for him with the Vancouver pick, but guessing he'll go before then.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 11:56 AM   #3116
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think Buium is gone early. I wonder about the Ducks taking him.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 12:02 PM   #3117
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I tried my hand at a Mock Draft — take a look:

https://flamesnation.ca/news/calgary...ery-mock-draft

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 12:04 PM   #3118
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I tried my hand at a Mock Draft — take a look:

https://flamesnation.ca/news/calgary...ery-mock-draft
Very similar to how I see it playing out!
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 12:15 PM   #3119
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I really like the group around that vancouver pick. So many options available late round that could turn to gold. Parascak and Mews are both excellent options. Kiviharju and Artamonov seem really great as well. I was interested in Howe for a good part of the year but he seems to have dropped a bit, might be available early 2nd still.
Jet Luchanko, Dean Letourneau, Charlie Elick is fascinating.
I'd be tempted to snag Harrison Brunnicke at the Vancouver pick as I don't think he makes it to Calgary's own 2nd round pick. That's a player I'd target with a Vancouver pick as well.
Old 05-13-2024, 12:16 PM   #3120
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just don't see the Hawks passing on Demidov. That's be a top 3 in the league line for years and years.

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft