Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2024, 11:38 PM   #3021
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I was being quite glib, but I've never really thought about it. I would have guessed it was a fusion.I tend to stick to the same restaurant (Basil) - their vermicelli and pho are indeed perfection.
It is a fusion from when the French occupied Vietnam. It's still legit though.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 12:49 AM   #3022
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
We are all ignoring this fact that the reason that place survived was King Motherfataing Tut. How in the hell did king tut store stay open let alone the disaster of a mall.

It was king tut. Dollarama King Tut museum.
I've been over this and over this...it was clearly a front for the Gay Egyptian Cyclist Mafia. Its the only logical conclusion.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 08:59 AM   #3023
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I may have missed it in the ones I'e tried, but do any of the Banh Mi in Calgary include paté? The best Bahn Mi I've had were when I lived in Toronto and they all had a smear of paté in addition to the other toppings. To me, that makes the sandwich.

Plus they were $1, which even 25 years ago was basically free.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 09:02 AM   #3024
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
We are all ignoring this fact that the reason that place survived was King Motherfataing Tut. How in the hell did king tut store stay open let alone the disaster of a mall.

It was king tut. Dollarama King Tut museum.
They also had two locations.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:42 PM   #3025
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I may have missed it in the ones I'e tried, but do any of the Banh Mi in Calgary include paté? The best Bahn Mi I've had were when I lived in Toronto and they all had a smear of paté in addition to the other toppings. To me, that makes the sandwich.

Thi Thi on 8th used to... not sure if the Chinatown location does. The 8th Ave location is closed now.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 03:15 PM   #3026
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Really nice to be here at the Eau Claire event today. I'll miss that one big theatre screen they had forever, was my favourite place to catch a movie in the city. We badly need a new downtown movie theatre now with the Eau Claire Cineplex closed and the Globe's future in doubt.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 03:32 PM   #3027
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

RE: Eau Claire

I rarely if ever went there when it was open so I am uninterested that it is closing.

If I hadnt been working for Greyhound I'd have gone there even less. They never thanked me for sweeping their parking lot when I was bored although I did meet Common and Anson Mount one time at the Garage when they were in town filming Hell on Wheels.

And they are both wonderful guys FYI.

But Eau Claire? Couldn't claire less...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 06:15 PM   #3028
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post

Kim Ahn subs on 17th across from St Mary’s has some subs with pate. The Kim Ahn special sub has charbroiled pork and pate, I’m sure you can get it on any of their subs.

Edit: sorry wrong school, Western not St Mary’s

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 05-11-2024 at 06:33 PM.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 08:09 PM   #3029
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Really nice to be here at the Eau Claire event today. I'll miss that one big theatre screen they had forever, was my favourite place to catch a movie in the city. We badly need a new downtown movie theatre now with the Eau Claire Cineplex closed and the Globe's future in doubt.
I still miss the theatres in Bankers Hall
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 09:06 PM   #3030
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I still miss the theatres in Bankers Hall
I have never been, what was so special that you miss them?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 09:18 PM   #3031
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We live in very different times compared to 15 or 20 years ago. We live in the age of TikTok and online streaming services. Fewer and fewer people are opting to leave their homes (or even put down their phones) to watch something in a cinema. While a new downtown cinema would be very nice, I have my doubts that it will ever happen.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:31 PM   #3032
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
I have never been, what was so special that you miss them?
They were nice big theatres that were never busy. And there was something neat about going downtown for a big premiere
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 11:35 PM   #3033
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Western not St Mary’s
Glad you've finally got that correct. The answer is always Western and not St Mary's.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2024, 12:34 AM   #3034
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
We live in very different times compared to 15 or 20 years ago. We live in the age of TikTok and online streaming services. Fewer and fewer people are opting to leave their homes (or even put down their phones) to watch something in a cinema. While a new downtown cinema would be very nice, I have my doubts that it will ever happen.
I really don't think this is true. Big event movies are still very much a thing (Avatar, Top Gun, Mission Impossible, Marvel, Barbenheimer) and we've seen multiple new theatres open in this city over the past few years — Seton, Market Mall, East Hills, University District. There's more competition for eyeballs, sure, but the movie business isn't going anywhere.

Where things are really shifting is toward making movie-going into more of a luxury experience that can't be replicated in the home. The University District VIP theatre is a great example of this, and I wouldn't be surprised if a similar theatre opens downtown. That'd be a draw, IMO.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2024, 05:29 AM   #3035
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

The other trend is our city growing out and making little mini cities in the suburbs where families can do everything there without leaving their neighborhoods.

Hence new big theatres in new communities rather than downtown.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 06:38 AM   #3036
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The University District VIP theatre is a great example of this, and I wouldn't be surprised if a similar theatre opens downtown. That'd be a draw, IMO.
as a Beltline resident I would love this, this is the only theater i will go to these days.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 08:59 AM   #3037
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Glad you've finally got that correct. The answer is always Western and not St Mary's.
High schools or universities? Or both
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 10:21 AM   #3038
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The other trend is our city growing out and making little mini cities in the suburbs where families can do everything there without leaving their neighborhoods.

Hence new big theatres in new communities rather than downtown.
Nice try, WEF vaccinated 15 minute cities!

Next thing you know jayswin will be confiscating our cars and melting them down.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2024, 10:22 AM   #3039
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

In seriousness, this works really well with enough population. All those small European towns with all the daily stuff you need, but a train connection to get you to the bigger centres in reasonable amounts of time. The problem is all the good ones evolved into those form factors because they came to be when cars didn't exist. Here we just bend over to parking lots and end up with horrible suburban power centres.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2024, 12:01 PM   #3040
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

It would be nice if a goodwill opened up in signal hill. The old Rona location would be perfect

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote