Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2024, 11:08 AM   #2921
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I think Canadian teams can rebuild and that the Flames should but there isn't going to be a line up of 'educated' fans standing there to pay big dollars to watch them.
I don't think there's gonna be a lineup of fans watching a "retool" either. Both processes are going to suck, one just has a higher chance of leaving you with blue chip prospects to be excited about.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:23 AM   #2922
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
I don't think there's gonna be a lineup of fans watching a "retool" either. Both processes are going to suck, one just has a higher chance of leaving you with blue chip prospects to be excited about.
We will see what Conroy does from here but so far this 're-tool' but looks more like rebuild
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:26 AM   #2923
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
Except now the cap is higher and it's going to continue to grow each year versus how flat it stayed for so long. That alone should get Marner a better contract.
I was talking about trade value. Tkachuk had higher trade value.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 12:00 PM   #2924
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
No. However, I read an article that Minnesota would rather be making the playoffs and winning now. So trading Rossi is a way for them to get a contributing player. They're thin a center and Rossi is a center... who do we have at center that moves the needle for Minnesota? Probably doesn't work for both teams to be trade partners on a deal involving Rossi.
Rossi may well be their first line centre next year.

Edit: Just read some more, yeah he may be available. I would not give up Calgary’s first round pick though.

Last edited by The Cobra; 05-10-2024 at 12:30 PM.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 02:42 PM   #2925
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
Agree on wolf. Hard to say what we have still.
He’s getting lit up by Coachella is what we have this week.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 02:44 PM   #2926
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Yeah and let's be honest, I haven't heard a single poster on here who wanted a rebuild go out and buy season tickets now that it's started (myself included)
Oh the irony.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 03:07 PM   #2927
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
He’s getting lit up by Coachella is what we have this week.
I said before this series started that was probably going to happen. Coachella is a much better team, I don't think you can hang that on Wolf.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 03:08 PM   #2928
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Oh the irony.
Not ironic.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:37 PM   #2929
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
We will see what Conroy does from here but so far this 're-tool' but looks more like rebuild
I think we'll need to wait and see what happens by the end of July before saying what it really looks like. If he sheds more assets and promotes young players to fill the spots then yeah... rebuild, if he signs a few Vets that you could even half-heartedly see as Tanev/Lindholm replacements then it's just a retool.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 03:43 PM   #2930
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yea you’re right, the reason people aren’t running out to drop $5000+ dollars on season tickets has everything to do with the rebuild and nothing to do with the fact that 1/3 homes are struggling to keep up with this ridiculously inflated economy.

Spend 5K on tickets or 5K on a months groceries…. Sarcasm but feels like it.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 03:45 PM   #2931
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Yea you’re right, the reason people aren’t running out to drop $5000+ dollars on season tickets has everything to do with the rebuild and nothing to do with the fact that 1/3 homes are struggling to keep up with this ridiculously inflated economy.

Spend 5K on tickets or 5K on a months groceries…. Sarcasm but feels like it.
Who the hell is getting two tickets for 5K? Are there still 55 dollar seats anywhere in the dome? NHL tickets and access to new NHL arenas 45 days a year is pretty much the privilege of the wealthiest Calgarians now.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 03:49 PM   #2932
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Who the hell is getting two tickets for 5K? Are there still 55 dollar seats anywhere in the dome? NHL tickets and access to new NHL arenas 45 days a year is pretty much the privilege of the wealthiest Calgarians now.
I only go to games if I get a free ticket, or get invited to a box or something (which may happen once in a blue moon). Otherwise I'm saving my $6K+ and watching all the games at home for free haha. NHL is damn expensive.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 04:50 PM   #2933
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No it doesn't. Conroy said a rebuild to him is stripping it down to lose. This team still has too many vets they are keeping going forward for this to be a rebuild. It's a retool.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 05:12 PM   #2934
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
No it doesn't. Conroy said a rebuild to him is stripping it down to lose. This team still has too many vets they are keeping going forward for this to be a rebuild. It's a retool.
It's pretty stripped down already.

Most of the vets we have are playing a position above where they should be.

Retool implies shuffling deck chairs for a better fit. You move players out and replace them with comparable but different pieces.

If they trade Marsktrom and don't really sign any vet UFA it definitely feels more like a rebuild.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 05:24 PM   #2935
Rhett44
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
But we traded most of the good vets.

And I have said it before, but we have NOTHING to retool around. What are we retooling around? 34 year old 2nd liner Kadri? 31 year old 2nd liner Huberdeau? 2nd liner Andersson?

Weegar is our only legit 1st liner on either side of the ice. So again, what are we retooling around? When Boston retooled they had Bergeron and Marchand and McAvoy. We have poop.
Rhett44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rhett44 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 06:05 PM   #2936
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett44 View Post
But we traded most of the good vets.

And I have said it before, but we have NOTHING to retool around. What are we retooling around? 34 year old 2nd liner Kadri? 31 year old 2nd liner Huberdeau? 2nd liner Andersson?

Weegar is our only legit 1st liner on either side of the ice. So again, what are we retooling around? When Boston retooled they had Bergeron and Marchand and McAvoy. We have poop.
And the Huberdeau, Kadri, Weegar, and Coleman contracts are only going to become less cap efficient as the players age.

So even if the team were to retool now to compete in 3 years, at that point, the contract situation would make it very difficult to truly content.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:20 PM   #2937
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
And the Huberdeau, Kadri, Weegar, and Coleman contracts are only going to become less cap efficient as the players age.

So even if the team were to retool now to compete in 3 years, at that point, the contract situation would make it very difficult to truly content.
Your crystal ball must work better than mine because I’m not certain those player, one or all of them, will get here in 3 years.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:34 PM   #2938
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We’ll see. It’s pretty easy to keep the vets they can’t trade lol. If they were hellbent on re-tooling then Hanifin would be here at 8+ and Lindholm at 9+. The real bellwether is Markstrom. If they trade him and go with Wolf and Vladar then I don’t care how much Conroy says re-tool
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:44 PM   #2939
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I'm willing to bet Conroy knows a rebuild is needed with no stars and no blue chip prospects, but also wanted to let everyone down easy. Just look at it rationally, we're rebuilding.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 06:48 PM   #2940
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
We’ll see. It’s pretty easy to keep the vets they can’t trade lol. If they were hellbent on re-tooling then Hanifin would be here at 8+ and Lindholm at 9+. The real bellwether is Markstrom. If they trade him and go with Wolf and Vladar then I don’t care how much Conroy says re-tool
I don't think we even need to wait for it as a bellwether. I mean Conroy tried to trade him at the deadline, it just fell through. He was fully committed to ditching Markstrom for futures, and reportedly still will this off-season.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good